Empire Hotel
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$318
$296
  • Room Service
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
$178
$170
Room Mate Hotels
  • Pool
The Lucerne Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$322
$219
  • Restaurant
Kimpton Muse Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$267
$247
  • Restaurant
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$201
$134
  • Restaurant
Stewart Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$179
  • Room Service
The Kimberly Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$279
$420
Hotelpower.com
  • Breakfast included
6,503 results
All reviewslincoln centered's chowder housegossip girlpool deckcentral parkcolumbus circlegreat locationrooftop barnew yorkupper west sidejunior suiterooms are smallaround the cornertimes squarenycstarbuckssubway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 20, 2011

It's a shame that the Empire Hotel is so poorly run. It is an ideal location for a visitor - very convenient to shopping and restaurants and easy access to transportation. However, the hotel is not well managed and is challenged to offer even the basic accomodations. It has been removated with a hip look but the upgrade is all superficial. The lobby is dark, cramped, and uncomfortable. The staff at the front desk seem disorganized and distracted. The night my son and I arrived at the hotel at 5:30pm the small lobby was overwhelmed with guests and luggage. The line was long to check in. I could hear the angry tone from many other guests so I wasn't surprised that I was told that my room was not ready. I was told that it would be another 30 minutes to an hour before the maids could get a room cleaned for us. I was offered a larger room for an upgrade fee of $50 but it was a smoking room so that was not an option for me. Instead we stored our luggage and went for a walk even though we had been up since 5 am and we were exhausted. About an hour later I tried to check in again and was told that no rooms were available - same song second verse. I was unhappy but decided there wasn't much I could do about it . So we went to dinner without being able to freshen up. By 9 pm when I finally got to the front of the line for the third time, I threw a fit when I was told that the cleaning staff was still working on a room. Because I was so irate, they finally put us in a room. The room was supposed to be two queen beds. There is no way those beds were queen. More like a twin and a half or very small doubles. The linens were nice and the tv was fine - the decor was updated. Room extremely small but that doesn't bother me so that wasn't an issue. The issue ws that the room is just not comfortable at all. There was no ac to speak of. The room was extremely hot and there was no temperature control. I called housekeeping who told me that I had to lift up a grate on the unitl and there would be some buttons to turn the fan to high or low. I managed to get some air circulating but it was far from satisfactory and I centainly would have expected that to have been updated during the renovation. The bathroom is modern and stylish but so small that it is not luxiorous at all. To top it off, we had absolutely no hot water. When I called to complain they had obviously heard that complaint before and there was nothing they could do. I was on the third floor and it was extremely loud all night. The noise from the street is not that bad - it's the city after all so that is to be expected. But since they were still celaning rooms late into the night the housekeeping noises were unbearable - carts clashing - loud voices in the hall. A maid unlocked our door and attempted to come in our room twice. I was glad to be checking out after one very disappointing night in this hotel. By the way, scrutinize your bill. The chaos at the reception desk means that you may have erroneous charges that will need to be removed. In my case it was parking but there were others that were charged the wrong rate etc.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank MMP54
Reviewed April 20, 2011

1st impression after settling into room was the noise level of the traffic below our 5th floor corner suite. Windows are not triple glazed and could hear every taxi beeping their horn and every bus screeching their wheels into the very wee hours. Although the bed was very comfortable, it did not make up for the noise level. The lighting in the room is very poor (too low lighted to even read a book). Chairs in the room were cheap and were creaking apart, lamps in room were also cheap and missing switches to manually turn them on. Bathroom lighting was minimal and off centered from the mirrow ... couldn't put on makeup in there and had to use hand mirror by the window to see what I was doing. As well there was very little space for one's own toiletries. For a sutie, there wasn't even a hall closet to hang our coats or our guest's coats when they arrived. If you want to stay here (near Lincoln Center) bring minimal clothing as storage is poor, ear plugs, and some high wattage bulbs to see your way around. Even lobby was dim and tacky. No free wi fi in room for over $550 per night!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ottawa198
Reviewed April 16, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the Empire Hotel. The bed was very comfortable and we were able to get quality sleep. Rooms were about average for NYC, but we did not feel claustrophobic. Being able to get on the subway within two blocks was a major plus for this hotel. Plus, with all of the wonderful restaurants (and two blocks to Central Park) we really could not have chosen a better location for a hotel. We read that the front desk had a "running map" available and were hoping for a map of Central Park since it was nearby. What we were given was a map of the entire city - and told that the green hashes were the running routes - but there were no distances, nothing specific, it was just a basic concierge map. Not sure if we would stay there again, but the location is hard to beat.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2011

I recently stayed at the Empire with my ten year old son and couldn't be happier with the hotel and staff. I was upgraded to a suite at check-in and and was so impressed with the room, it was huge (especially by New York standards), well appointed, immaculate and half the price of other hotels of the same caliber. The complimentary toiletries were by L'Occitane and the wonderful amenities included a 42' flat screen t.v., umbrellas and sumptuous robes to use during our stay and a well-stocked refrigerator and snack bar. Thank goodness my son didn't notice the fridge until we were leaving or he could have easily incurred another $100 or so to my tab in snacks and sodas! The hotel was so quiet, it seemed as though we were the only guests on the floor and the drapes used in the room were incredibly effective at cancelling noise from the street. The bed sheets were fresh and soft, dense cotton and the mattress was unbelievably comfortable. The hotel is located across the street from Lincoln Center and is a short walk to the A,B,C,D, and #1 trains or bus, which took us minutes to reach Times Square for a Broadway show and back uptown to visit the American Museum of Natural History and planetarium. We were surrounded by excellent restaurants and shopping, there is also a Whole Foods Market in the lower level of the nearby shops at Columbus Circle. After checking out of our room, I was able to check our bags at the hotel and furthur explore the city, returning after dinner to pick them up before we departed. LOVED our stay at the Empire Hotel, I can't rave about it enough!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2011

The place have been recently renewed, including the rooms. By the way, the room is really small. The bath doesn't have door or curtain, wich is weird, but the repcionist told me that was the "european design". I din't know European people liked to wash the bathroom everytime they take a shower. The hi-speed internet access is only complementary on the lobby, as in the rooms they charge $13 for 24 hours. And the speed isn't that high... the location is great, although if you want to stay closer to Times Square, there are better options.

Room Tip: The rooms with street view are nice, but noizy.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business