“Best Chicken in NYC”

Cuisines: Latin, Peruvian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Description: Established in 1994. Welcome to PIO PIO, our "Casa Alegre" (Cheerful House), New York City's Premiere Peruvian restaurant group since 1994, specializing in Pollo a La Brasa (Rotisserie Chicken), authentic cuisine from Peru and our famous "Green Sauce"!. We are located through out Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx and Manhattan. Also check out our Amaru Pisco Bar in Jackson Heights. Buen Provecho!
Reviewed June 28, 2018 via mobile

The Peruvian restaurant Pio Pio is one of the finest Latin food experiences that I have been to. I started off with one of the generous sized appetizers the empanadas filled with juicy flavorful chicken. For the more adventurous, my wife, she tried the Ceviche Limeno, a spicy Peruvian seafood dish, tossed with a citrus marinade. For the main course, we had their specialty "Juanitas Chicken". You can either get a smaller piece, a half a chicken or a full. I recommend getting a full and sharing it, trust me, no one will be disappointed. Typical to Peruvian cuisine, there are many seafood plates to chose from as well. My wife had a shrimp plate that was generous and delicious. For the sides to accompany your main dish include many typical Latin food such as Tostones, Fried Yuca, Rice and Beans. My favorite is the salchipapa which is French fries with slices of frankfurters. The dipping sauce for this side is unbelievable. For dessert I had a Flan, which is a homemade Peruvian custard. This was delicious. The staff at the restaurant was attentive and friendly and the best part was the bill wasn't outrageous. For the amount of delicious food and the experience we had I think the price of the check was a bargain. Overall I would recommend this restaurant to anyone open to trying a Latin restaurant.

1  Thank Daxter02

Reviewed May 28, 2018

Hi! Just the fried rice, half a chicken and green sauce and sangria is all. you need to have the best meal. it seems so basic but its by far the best from Pio Pio!!!! you can't go wrong going here!!!!!

1  Thank moonwater212
Reviewed May 17, 2018

I've been to PioPio a few times and must say it is a great value and absolutely terrific roast chicken with fries. Service is good, but perhaps a bit harried during the lunch crunch.

Reviewed March 22, 2018

I'm a Pio big fan and usually go to the Hells Kitchen location. I was really surprised by the difference in the vibe at this location. They have white linens and it's a bit on the stuffy side vs the relaxed rustic vibe of the other.
Despite that, the menu is the same and the food is friking amazing. The green sauce here clearly has crack in it. It's practically drinkable. We usually get the whole roast chicken to split and a couple of sides. The caesar salad here is awesome and so are the maduros.

They have a full bar here, wine and beer but the beer selection is very limited and isn't so hot. Service was excellent. I wouldn't rush back to this location but i'll be back to my favorite Pio Pio to dunk my face in more delicious green sauce soon.

1  Thank Renee G
Reviewed February 12, 2018

The place is nice and wide, the menu is large and they have many specials, but you really want to eat the special chicken, with platanos and salad. just take the portion you like (1 is good for 4 people) and a couple of sides. the chicken is very good and so so cheap.

1  Thank isablubelle