“Very Disappointing”

Bayside, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I bought a Groupon for AVA Lounge which included four complimentary cocktails and passed snacks (pretzels, goldfish, etc.) for $29. While this price is more than decent for NYC, the lounge overall was NOT. The service was especially poor, there were no passed snacks or even a mention of it, my wine glass was served with lipstick on it, and my husband's cocktails were weak. This is all not to mention that the "waitress" took my cell phone because it had the groupon and took nearly ten minutes to bring it back. Oh, and when she did return my phone, she came over to the table and pulled MY cell phone out of HER bra. Not cool. I will definitely not be returning...

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Smarteeskeebs

nyc
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Just ok ...perhaps its better in the summer”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Really not much special about the AVA Lounge. Perhaps its better in the summer with an outdoor rooftop view. March inside was 'just ok'. Cocktails were fine, but pricy. Decor and ambiance not that great. Hard to have a conversation.

Visited March 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Pretty great view, but the cocktails could be better”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I met some friends in NY at Ava on a Saturday night pretty early for the normal cocktail scene (around 5p) since we were all planning on getting dinner and doing other things later on. We got there and I think Ava had just opened because it was empty which I expected since 5p is insanely early for New Yorkers to start their evenings out, however we just wanted a place to grab a drink or two with friends before splitting company and going separate ways.

The view was amazing- watching the sun go down and the lights of the city get brighter was pretty amazing. The waitress we had was very attentive and nice but the cocktails weren't as good as I was hoping. Some were better than others. My friend had one with huckleberry vodka in it and it was so sweet it was nearly undrinkable. My other friend ordered a cocktail and was brought the wrong one (it was very obvious when tasted it was wrong), when we inquired about it with the waitress she asked the bartender about it who swore up and down it was the right drink but that they would make a new one for my friend. The new drink came back tasting nothing like the other so it was plain to see they didn't make the right drink the first time around. Why make up some story as opposed to just saying "Sorry about that, here is the correct one". Strange.

Anyways, it was a nice place. Perhaps it wouldn't be as great if it was later and really crowded since the space was super small, but I still had an enjoyable time while there. Cocktails averaged about $14.

Not sure why this place is listed as an attraction because it is a bar.

Visited February 2013
Vada, Italy
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Nice place, but I had greater expectations from a rooftop bar”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I've been there with a friend of mine, and the place is located at the rooftop terrace of the Dream Hotel. It's a nice place, but I expected much more from a rooftop view of Manhattan (the day before I've been to another one - check my other reviews if you want - and the difference is huge). Cocktails are pricey, but this is somewhat ok with the location. Another thing that I didn't really like is that there are not many seating places, so you have to stand up while having your drink. So, the place is ok, but not one of the best places in Manhattan.

Visited June 2012
3 Thank Giacomo B
Northampton, United Kingdom
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 167 helpful votes
“Pricey but fabulous rooftop bar”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

You’ll need to make yourself presentable to gain entry to the roof terrace of the Dream Hotel—no hats, trainers or ripped jeans here; you’d only ruin the chic, palm-tree-studded decor. Come for sunset or gaze at Times Square at night

Visited June 2012