“Great shopping and interesting tour”

Shop Gotham NYC Shopping Tours
and up
SoHo & NoLita Chic Boutiques Shopping Tour
Ranked #5 of 830 Shopping in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Shop Gotham is New York City's Premiere Shopping Tour Company, opening doors to what defines NYC as The Fashion Mecca. Designer Showrooms for Wholesale Shopping and Indie boutiques enable our guests to bring a little NYC home in their shopping bags. Private Shopping groups and RegularlyScheduled tours each week, Sweet 16's, Corporate Groups and Spouse programs, Student Fashion Education programs.
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We went on the tour mostly to learn about the Garment District and how things are designed and produced. Since we are older women and larger than we should be :-( we didn't really expect to be making many purchases. The meeting place for the tour was an enormous store full of all kinds of trimmings, ribbon, buttons, beads etc. that was fascinating to me, as I do a lot of sewing, and don't have access to a fraction of the choices here. The first stop was to a handbag design and production showroom. We were both delighted to purchase a beautiful leather handbag each, at huge discount. Some of the women on the tour came away with more than one bag each, and were looking very happy! At a couple of other stops, we found high end costume jewelry and made more purchases there. At another, I found an adorable summer sundress for my young, beautiful and slim daughter-in-law. Even at the showrooms where we could not shop, it was enjoyable to admire the quality and craftsmanship of the clothes on view. One showroom had outerwear made from beautiful furs and lovely soft cashmere fabrics. Our guide Keve was organized, knowledgeable and helpful, and let us know what to expect at each stop and how much time we would have. As we walked along she pointed out hastily handwritten signs in some wholesale windows, and explained that they meant that walk-in shoppers were welcome that day only, for special sample sales. At the end of the tour, she gave us a list of other places we could visit on that particular day that would be worthwhile. I only wished we had more time in New York, now that we had these new insider tips & suggestions. So yes, anyone who is interested in clothes and accessories would enjoy this fun and varied look at the garment industry in New York. And probably not come away empty handed!

1  Thank EdithfromCanada
There are newer reviews for Shop Gotham NYC Shopping Tours

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Spring break in NYC with my teen girls who just wanted to shop with their mom (me) who doesnt know up from down in the big apple, even though we live relatively close. The Soho tour turned out to be a great choice for the following reasons: Our enthusiastic guide got the girls to stores which were perfect for them, while somehow ushering the grown-ups to others suiting them. Yet it still felt like a programmed tour, with lots of fun trivia to be learned and interesting things to see. We bought a couple items on the tour and spent the rest of the day roaming around this fun area, visiting stores our guide had suggested. Fun day in NYC.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I am quite impressed with this tour. You will be going to showrooms of designers you may not have heard of before but be open minded--some of them have worked for the big fashion names so while their name may not be well known and commercial they are pros at what they do. I loved that I was getting things that are a little hard to find and/or unique. I bought two purses that were created yet never mass produced so they are one of a kinds. Even though I didn't find something I liked at every showroom I enjoyed meeting the designers and looking at everything anyway. Keve was our tour guide and she was very nice and informative. One designer was hilarious and after looking us up and down she went into her storage area to pull things out that she thought we should wear. Some other things to know-bring cash in addition to cards and there is no pressure to buy. After the tour we were given a sheet listing other sample sales going on in the city so we went on our own to a few of those and really enjoyed it. Definitely go on this tour and definitely bring friends!!! I loved it!!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

There are a million choices of things to do in NYC. But,,, if you like to shop, this is really really fun and interesting. Over the course of 3 hours, we were taken to a variety of showrooms, each offering entirely different items. Trendy sportswear, traditional sportswear, handbags, shoes, accessories, outerwear. Not everything was for everyone, and there was absolutely no pressure to buy, but everyone came away with multiple purchases. As it happens, our guide that day was the company owner Marla, who squeezed in an extra sample sale and ran the tour long for us. She was patient, honest, knowledgeable and a pleasure to spend the morning with. She concluded the tour with lunch and dinner suggestions, hotel directions and lots of other tips. . Tip: Wear comfortable shoes - there was a fair amount of walking -- and easy to change-out-of clothing. Dressy rooms are often makeshift, but noone seemed to mind. The program felt like a very personal experience, versus a typical tour, and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

As many before have mentioned, I really had no idea what to expect. I am happy to post this as my my friend and I had a BLAST. We loved the showroom choices, meeting some designers, learning about the industry and even chatting with the other women on our tour. A huge shout out to Jess, our guide. Charming, knowledgeable and a beauty to boot! We look forward to doing this program again.