“If you don't stay in the main building, don't stay here at all!!!”
Review of Candy Hostel

Candy Hostel
Mexico City, Mexico
“If you don't stay in the main building, don't stay here at all!!!”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

In theory this hostel looks and sounds great; I've been here 3 times, first one was great. Really close from the subway, good room (clean and comfortable). Second time I was sent to a building in the back, a very small room, but still clean and fair for the price. Third time was a nightmare; they have another building a couple of streets away where the rooms where old and damaged (not to mention that beds were the worst we've ever seen, and it was not clean!). You share the floor with the people that live there and they aren't very nice people... No one from the hostel personnel is around, and to be honest, we felt very, very insecure.

Room Tip: This hostel has several rooms in different building around the block. You should only stay on the ma...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank AnaManzana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I booked online for a room in this hostel. First it took me more then half an hour to find because there wasn't any sigh on the door number which couldn't be seen because of restoration was going on.

So at the end I found it and i had to wait at the reception to find someone to talk. After ten minutes waiting a guy came from behind the desk and asked "what do you want?" I showed my booking form and he looked at it and said that i'm late and my room is sold to someone else.When I asked how one room can be sold twice he start arguing with me and act very bad that someone who work in tourism should never speak like that

I asked for another room or a bed as it was rainy outside and i didn't want to look for another hotel. He was very aggressive to me and said go where ever you want we don't have any place for you he said.

I went to a hotel near by which was call Days Inn and much much better. They made me enjoy the new York less.

I recommend to stay away from this place.

Room Tip: I didn't have chance to see the rooms.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Eugene, OR
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I think the varied reviews here are due to people expecting a hotel-type experience and who have had limited experience with hostels. This might not be the cheapest hostel if you're staying solo, but I shared a room with three of my friends and we each shared a bed - very affordable. If you're staying longer than a few days it might be annoying not being able to put your stuff anywhere and digging through your suitcase, but I didn't mind. They have lockers that cost a few bucks if you want to drop off your stuff before you're allowed to check in. Besides the staff being lukewarm and potentially waiting to use the bathroom/shower I had a great stay here. The internet is cheap and easy to use, and it wasn't too busy so you didn't feel rushed to get off the computer. It's at a convenient location to take the subway. If you're staying in the city and don't want to leave your room much, this isn't the place for you. If you're just some young folk wanting to explore most of the day, keep your stuff in a safe place, and crash at night, this is a very reasonable option.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Yes okay, staying in a hostel, I knew I wasn't about to embrace luxury. I wanted a place to sleep, dump my stuff and shower. positives- great location to Subway! Wow! Cheap and good Internet facilities. Negatives- shoddy decor, room boiling hot had a nose bleed, would have opened window but a screaming man next door scared me as the window led onto a roof terrace. Staff did not come to help him... He went on and on for hours in the night :( so scary! Bathrooms were hit or miss but most of the time clean but a few incidents of used tissues in toilet (more guests fault than hostel I guess). I was in New York alone and I did find this hostel quite scary. Staff weren't rude but weren't entirely welcoming either. Sheets were vile!!! Funny smell to the place, musty and old. Alright for a couple of quid I guess. Would I stay here again? Ermmm not on my own!! yes with friends.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Sam J
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2012

The hostel is clean and tidy and secure ... so ticks all the boxes but lacks something. The prices are very reasonable considering where you are but it is not an ideal place for single travellers as there is no real community within the place. The hostel itself is very difficult to find initially and I ended up going through what seemed to be the back entrance. If you are looking for somewhere to just crash then this is ideal, as the location is very central for you to get round the city.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Anthony L
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed August 21, 2011

quite clean, definitely no bedbugs, common bathroom got cleaned many times a day, so that you can't actually notice it ever gets dirty or even used.

rooms have nothing, but a bed and tv (no wardrobes, nothing)

blankets - are very thin, so it gets quite cool in the night. You can always pay for a warm blanket, but wth?

anyway - imo for the price it's a decent place. I stayed there with my gf for 10 days and didn't feel any discomfort.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NikitaPG
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Booked this online as it promised to be a clean affordable stay in NYC. I have stayed in hostels in the city before and know fully well that yo get what you pay for so I wasn't expecting anything even close to special..... But what I experienced her was beyond belief.

Firstly, the address it claims is not the entrance. You need to go through lot sof shady alleys and passages to finally get to the hostel reception.
Once i got to reception i paid the remainder of my balance. Was shown to my room.... It was honestly so dirty and shabby words could not describe it. There was no hanging space or space to put my bags. With the exception of a solitary hanger hanging from the light cable from the ceiling!! The door wouldnt open fully as there wasnt enough room to!!
I was so shocked I didn't stay. I grabbed a shower after squeezing through a bunch of shady hispanic girls sitting making a huge ammount of noise in the corridors then headed to the reception to tell them i was leaving and told them i wanted a full refund minus my deposit and all i got in return was.. 'you do know that moneys non-refundable right?'

It was absolutely shocking from start to finish and i strongly urge anyone with any self respect to never ever ever even consider going here. It was so bad I wrote to my local newspaper about it. I'm only 22 so I'm not one of these oldies who complains about absolutely everything. It just needed to be said. Write me if you want any more questions answered bu tsurely i have said enough.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple