“Average Hostel but good value”
Review of Candy Hostel

Candy Hostel
Reviewed January 18, 2012

The hostel is clean and tidy and secure ... so ticks all the boxes but lacks something. The prices are very reasonable considering where you are but it is not an ideal place for single travellers as there is no real community within the place. The hostel itself is very difficult to find initially and I ended up going through what seemed to be the back entrance. If you are looking for somewhere to just crash then this is ideal, as the location is very central for you to get round the city.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Anthony L
There are newer reviews for Candy Hostel

Reviewed August 21, 2011

quite clean, definitely no bedbugs, common bathroom got cleaned many times a day, so that you can't actually notice it ever gets dirty or even used.

rooms have nothing, but a bed and tv (no wardrobes, nothing)

blankets - are very thin, so it gets quite cool in the night. You can always pay for a warm blanket, but wth?

anyway - imo for the price it's a decent place. I stayed there with my gf for 10 days and didn't feel any discomfort.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NikitaPG
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Booked this online as it promised to be a clean affordable stay in NYC. I have stayed in hostels in the city before and know fully well that yo get what you pay for so I wasn't expecting anything even close to special..... But what I experienced her was beyond belief.

Firstly, the address it claims is not the entrance. You need to go through lot sof shady alleys and passages to finally get to the hostel reception.
Once i got to reception i paid the remainder of my balance. Was shown to my room.... It was honestly so dirty and shabby words could not describe it. There was no hanging space or space to put my bags. With the exception of a solitary hanger hanging from the light cable from the ceiling!! The door wouldnt open fully as there wasnt enough room to!!
I was so shocked I didn't stay. I grabbed a shower after squeezing through a bunch of shady hispanic girls sitting making a huge ammount of noise in the corridors then headed to the reception to tell them i was leaving and told them i wanted a full refund minus my deposit and all i got in return was.. 'you do know that moneys non-refundable right?'

It was absolutely shocking from start to finish and i strongly urge anyone with any self respect to never ever ever even consider going here. It was so bad I wrote to my local newspaper about it. I'm only 22 so I'm not one of these oldies who complains about absolutely everything. It just needed to be said. Write me if you want any more questions answered bu tsurely i have said enough.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Boyd_341
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I know staying in NY is expensive, but If you have some respect for yourself, don't stay at Candy Hostel! It's cheap, but doesn't worth it.
We stayed there for 4 nights. We first got a dirty room infested with bed bugs and cockroaches. When we noticed the blood spots on the sheets and the bite marks on our arms and legs, we asked for another room. It was even worse. As soon as we got there we saw cockroaches, so we got back to the first one and stayed there one more night. On the next day we went to a third room, and this one was fine. So it's kind of a lottery: if you get a non-infested room, you'll have an ok experience, otherwise... We got so many bites we couldn't wear short sleeves outside cause our arms were looking disgusting and itching like hell. They took more than 2 weeks to go away.
I'm glad we got another place to stay after the 4th night, though the itching arms lasted for the rest of out trip.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vanessa_rossi
Reviewed May 1, 2011

I wouldn’t recommend this hostel to anyone! Not worth the money at all! The staff is not helpful at all and very arrogant! The beds are very small and uncomfortable. The bathrooms on our floor stank of urine and hot water is obviously not included in the price, had to take a cold shower the last day... See for yourself if you will, but for that money you can defiantly find something better in NYC! Good luck

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Travelgirl188590
Reviewed April 20, 2011

The beds and bathrooms are very, very small but clean and we didn't encounter any vermin, but this isn't a hotel to stay in if you want to do anything more than sleep in a bed and wash yourself in the bathroom. For example, it is totally beyond me why anyone would come to NYC and then sit in the grotty TV room. Unless you are an excitable group of teenagers who have never been away from their parents before and the giddy sensation of freedom will make you run up and down the corridors shrieking with delight. There are plenty of those around - expect noise at all hours.

Staff are perfectly helpful and we were not charged for wireless. Decor was miserable and crumbling but you don't pay these prices and expect Versailles. All in all, perfectly acceptable budget hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tetley_stquentin
Reviewed March 17, 2011

From the main site (http://www.candynyc.com/):
Cinema room : disgusting
FREE soap : tiny bar in the bathroom
One block from Subway : actually 2 blocks
Free Subway and Bus maps : ran out
FREE WiFi (wireless internet) : NOT FREE - $8 dollars a day

Not a social hostel. No events during the start of the week. Hot water wasn't working. Bathtub was filthy. Room was damp and smelt. The staff NEVER have change for their own drink/food machines or computers or lockers. Computers cost money to use. Lockers are 5 dollars a day (they won't store luggage for free on your last day). Noisy rooms since the floors make noises when people are wondering through the hallways.

Bed is clean. Closest subway is an express stop on the 1,2,3 line.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo