“Gay Graves tour”

Walk About New York
Ranked #76 of 747 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: At Walk About New York, you will find entertaining walking tours that cover some of New York's best known areas. I also will show you some of its least known corners. I make connections amongst the sights, the historic people and the tales, helping to create a rich picture of the city that never sleeps. I look forward to sharing New York's story with you.
Reviewed October 23, 2017 via mobile

My fiancée and I went on the Gay Graves tour on 10/21 and we had a great experience. Phil was knowledgeable, hospitable, and passionate about the tour subject. We saw a variety of graves that covered a good mixture of art and history, I walked away feeling like I learned something new. Walking around Greenwood was beautiful, and Phil's tour inspired me to explore it more. Thanks Phil!

Date of experience: October 2017
WalkAboutNY2014, Owner at Walk About New York, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2018

The Gay Graves Tour at Green-Wood Cemetery, a National Historic Landmark in Brooklyn, was one of our first Tours. The beauty of the cemetery and its gay connections are always a delight to share. Thank you for being part of this wonderful Tour, and for the wonderful review.

All reviews
"mosaic art"
"wear comfortable clothes"
"insider's view"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 7 reviews
"on display"
"tours"
in 35 reviews

Reviewed October 22, 2017

Just back from a great 2 hour walking tour of a place we both thought we knew very well -- Rockefeller Center. Turns out that there was so much more to know. Phil had us looking up and noticing the treasures that we had passed by hundreds of times. The tour also takes you inside and "downstairs" where art is to be found on walls, floors, ceilings and fixtures. Who knew? Phil is knowledgable, passionate, and a great communicator. He kept the group moving and always interested. If you are a history buff, an art buff, or just a New York City buff you will really appreciate this tour. We'll be back for your other tours. Thanks, Phil.

Date of experience: October 2017

Thanks for the glowing review, Lynne! It is true that the Art of Rockefeller Center Walking Tour (one of our favorite Tours!) is well suited to history buffs & art buffs & lovers of the Big Apple. Eager to see you on a future Tour!

Reviewed October 7, 2017

First off I'm a native New Yorker and have been to Rockefeller Center countless times but I still had plenty to learn about the buildings and art work that comprise this magnificent complex. Phil is easy to listen to and is a wealth of knowledge about the city and on this tour, the art of Rockefeller Center. Of course understanding the history of the art also means understanding the context it was created in , so there is some overlap with the history of the times as well as the architectural styles as well. In a roughly two hour walk you will learn more than you ever realized was there and it was an enjoyable experience throughout. Come prepared and wear comfortable clothes and good shoes/sneaks for walking as you will be on the move a good part of the tour. This is a great tour for visitors to the city but equally worthwhile to long time residents that want to better appreciate what a real gem this area is. Many thanks to Phil for another great tour.

Date of experience: October 2017
WalkAboutNY2014, Owner at Walk About New York, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2017

Thank you so much for this great review. It is quite gratifying to know that native New Yorkers gain so much from our Tours. Thanks for being a repeat tour guest; eager to see you another Tour.

Reviewed September 25, 2017

This was my first Walk About New York tour. I have lived in NYC for about 17 yrs and I am still learning new things all the time. Phil D. was an excellent tour guide. He was well prepared w/ visuals on his ipad, an eloquent orator and could be heard clearly. I never felt rushed and he was very patient in waiting for the group to completely gather before he started talking. Amazing what you can learn about things you pass by on a daily basis and never really think about. The tour lasted about 2 hours and he was a delight. If you are interested in art, art history or NYC history, this was a great tour.

Date of experience: September 2017
WalkAboutNY2014, Owner at Walk About New York, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2017

Thank you for this good review! It is quite satisfying to read that a guest has learned something on one of our tours; I feel as if I have done my job. Hoping to see you on a future tour.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 15, 2017 via mobile

This was our third tour with Phil. Having been on other walking tours with other tour companies, let me just say that Phil's tours are the best!
Yesterday we went on the Rockefeller Center art tour. The tour was very interesting, informative and entertaining. Phil is very knowledgeable and personable. I learned a lot even as a native New Yorker who used to work in Rockefeller Center.
If you enjoy walking tours, this is the company in New York you should take them with!

Date of experience: September 2017
WalkAboutNY2014, Owner at Walk About New York, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2017

Thanks for your continued support of our Tours. Our Rockefeller Center Art Walking Tour has been a great success. Your positive reaction coming from a native New Yorker says a great deal; it is much appreciated. Thank you.