“Outstanding Customer Service!”

Walk About New York
Ranked #76 of 747 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: At Walk About New York, you will find entertaining walking tours that cover some of New York's best known areas. I also will show you some of its least known corners. I make connections amongst the sights, the historic people and the tales, helping to create a rich picture of the city that never sleeps. I look forward to sharing New York's story with you.
Reviewed April 4, 2015

My family is visiting New York City in June and we wanted to take the Subway Art Tour due to the glowing reviews. I contacted Phil by email to inquire if the tour would be given in June because I did not see any dates listed. He responded quickly that the subway tour was usually given in the winter because of weather, but if we could agree on a date he would be glad to make an exception! We did agree on a date and time and now we are booked on this tour! I call this outstanding customer service. Thanks Phil for your help and we are looking forward to our Subway Art Tour!

Date of experience: April 2015
WalkAboutNY2014, Owner at Walk About New York, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2015

I have discovered that, when it is possible, being flexible results in satisfaction all around. Thank you for the review. Eager to show off the subterranean art museum at the core of the Big Apple.

All reviews
"mosaic art"
"wear comfortable clothes"
"insider's view"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 7 reviews
"on display"
"tours"
in 35 reviews

Reviewed March 25, 2015

I had 2 nice walks with Phil, The Circles and Squares walk and the Greenwich Village. Both were great, lots of info, paced very well, and Phil was the perfect guide. I didn't have time to do the Subway Art, but a little of it was covered as we travelled between squares. Next visit, I'll be sure to take that tour.

Date of experience: December 2014
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thanks for nice review. It is gratifying to know that my tours were the ideal introduction to a first-time visitor to New York. Looking forward to showing the reviewer more of the Big Apple on future visits.

Reviewed March 25, 2015

A great way to understand the area & its historical value. Who lived there, how did the area and the buildings developed. It is a leisurely walk. There always a good place to stop for a meal or coffee.

Date of experience: September 2014
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Yes, history & art & the people who made it happen are at the center of Walk About New York’s tours. Thank you, loulou008Canada, for appreciating these important parts of New York; and thanks for the review.

Reviewed March 4, 2015

Walk About New York guide Phil Desiere offers a unique tour of the NYC subways that focuses on the commissioned art in the various stations. Once we entered the subway system at Union Square, Phil took us on a 3-hour tour through various stations including Union Square, 42nd street and others up to 81st street (Museum of Natural History, which has very clever wall pictures of both extinct and existing species) and then back down again to different stations. He described the history and intent of the various art installations, most of which were ceramic. Phil is extremely knowledgeable and personable, and the tour was so well organized that we visited stations on various branches of the system (all in Manhattan) without ever surfacing from the underground. The walking is on level ground within stations though several sets of stairs are involved. Since stations generally have elevators, I am sure that Phil could have varied the routes within stations to avoid stairs if there had been a need for that.

Phil also offers other tours -- Central Park, Greenwich Village etc. -- and given how much we enjoyed the subway tour, we will sign up for more of his tours when the outdoor weather is more amenable to that.

Date of experience: March 2015
WalkAboutNY2014, Owner at Walk About New York, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2015

This is a great review of my Subway Art Tour. Thank you so much. I am very happy to read that the reviewer got so much out of the Tour. Eager to see the reviewer and her friends on our other Tours.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 3, 2015

I ride subways every day and years ago took many photos of the art works found at various stations. But I learned quite a bit of interesting details behind these art works during Phil's very informative tour. Since I happened to be the only participant on the day, it was like having a private guide for 2.5 hours who would also answer all kinds of questions I asked him. The pace of the tour was just fine, and it was great to be underground as it was snowing outside.
The tour would be fun for both the locals as well as the repeat visitors who are willing to venture out to see things a little off the beaten track.

Date of experience: March 2015

I am happy read that the research into the Subway Art Tour’s details have paid off so handsomely for locals and tourists alike. Thank you for this review. The works of art in the subway that the reviewer took so many photos of now have some background.