“A tour for tourists and natives”

Walk About New York
Ranked #76 of 747 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: At Walk About New York, you will find entertaining walking tours that cover some of New York's best known areas. I also will show you some of its least known corners. I make connections amongst the sights, the historic people and the tales, helping to create a rich picture of the city that never sleeps. I look forward to sharing New York's story with you.
Reviewed September 29, 2014

I can't believe some of the things I saw and learned on this tour. How many times have I walked past a building or an alleyway that apparently contains a secret getaway from the bustle of the city, or played a role in history.
Phil is a phenomenal guide. He is pleasant, knowledgeable and supremely interested in sharing his love for the city with others.
Especially recommended for people interested in the architectural development of the city.

Date of experience: September 2014
"mosaic art"
"wear comfortable clothes"
"insider's view"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 7 reviews
"on display"
"tours"
in 35 reviews

Reviewed August 28, 2014

I am a native NYer who learned so much about the city I love through this tour. Phil, our leader was very knowledgeable and easy to listen to. His presentation of the history was incredible. In addition the tour provided a segment of public art installations. We toured for three hours of a very well planned experience. I would highly recommend this tour for those who wish to have a professional and individualized experience. Phil was able to answer the groups questions, which were encouraged , with ease. It was a lovely afternoon!

Date of experience: August 2014
Reviewed August 26, 2014

I recently visited New York for the first time & found the 'Walkabout New York' walking tours on Time Out.
I started with the 'Greenwich Village' tour & enjoyed it SO much, I also did the 'Five Squares & a Circle Tour'.
Phil was fantastic, his style is informative yet relaxed & calm, giving great 'non generic touristy' insights into the New York sights on the chosen tours.
Phil is especially passionate of 'The Village' making this my personal favorite tour, as his knowledge & tit bits were great to get off the main tourist drag!
Thoroughly recommended tours for those visiting the big apple....& did I mention exceptional value for money!!!
Well done Phil :)

Date of experience: August 2014
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Our walking tour of Greenwich Village with Phil was one of the highlights of our trip to New York. His humorous stories, personal insights, and hidden places made the hour and a half fly by. We'll never feel like a stranger in this area again.

Date of experience: July 2014
See more reviews
Reviewed July 8, 2014

My daughter & I have visited New York City several times. For our July 2013 visit Phil showed us a part of the city that we had never even considered: Fort Tryon Park and the Cloisters Museum. The views of the George Washington Bridge and across the Hudson River from the park were breathtaking. The art from the Middle Ages at the Cloisters was so beautiful. We could never have done it without Phil. He even recommended a fantastic Greenwich Village restaurant. I have visited New York many times but, none of my visits were as interesting as the visit I had with Phil. I found places that I never knew existed. I saw NY through the eyes of a true New Yorker who possessed an astounding amount of knowledge and information. He was warm, friendly, and honest in his interaction with my daughter and me. I felt safe and comfortable throughout the entire tour thanks to Phil.

Date of experience: August 2013
1  Thank KarenS1953F
WalkAboutNY2014, Owner at Walk About New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Showing Karen & her daughter off-the-beaten path areas of New York City was very satisfying. They were so grateful. Thanks for the kind words, Karen.