“Home away from home in New-York”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Sutton Residence
Ranked #38 of 79 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 25, 2009

When looking for a place to stay in a big city I always seek a place that is fun to come back to after a long day, where i can feel comfortable, at ease, at home.

Sutton res. was all that and more! In my eyes- better than a 5 star hotel. We had our own breakfast, with great coffee from the coffee machine, read books in the lounge, and could even do our own laundry- like at home.

Bruce ( and Heidi the owner we had the pleasure meeting) was very friendly, full of recommendations, and advices but only when we wanted it. That's a great thing, since I like my privacy.

Bruce was waiting for us at 7 am at arrival and showed us to our rooms, checking out was also "flexible"

My wife is the sterile type and was hesitant about the place with it's shared bathroom. In fact it is shared only between two rooms and was sparkling clean even she didn't mind it. I must say, all bathrooms (2 with a tub) are huge. and that beats a toilet sized shower inside the room.

As of writing- they already set up WI-FI which will be another bonus.

All in all I totally recommend sutton res. to anyone staying in NYC- friendly, comfortable, prime location and- at a great price.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Sutton Residence

Reviewed October 25, 2009

I chose this on the strength of the good reviews here, and particularly because of the price and location. As others say, it's about 15 minutes walk from Times Square and the top of 5th Avenue, which means that you can do a lot without getting the subway. Sure, you could stay somewhere swankier, with breakfast, tv, ensuite etc, but you'll pay a lot more and seeing as NY is so darned expensive anyway, we chose to save our money for shopping and sightseeing.

The place is very basic, but all you need is a safe, clean, quiet haven from the maelstrom outside, and you get that here. Unfortunately, we only found out about the laptop with free internet access on our second last day, which would have made our life easier, but that's a very useful bonus to have here.

Tips for the area - if you come from Newark Liberty, the direct bus stops at Grand Central, only 5 minutes away, and costs $25 return; the Oxford diner 2 or 3 blocks north on Lexington does decent hot breakfasts for about $10; cheap supermarkets are non-existent, so expect to grudgingly pay about 50% more than normal places elsewhere (UK and US); the ubiquitous Duane Reade pharmacy/basic supermarket is handily directly across the street, but the prices put you off buying much at all; think of buying a Metrocard for the subway and buses - we got a 7-day one and used it to death; also think about a New York Pass for attractions - the prices initially put us off, then we realised that we would spend almost the same doing what we wanted to anyway, but buying the card allowed us to bypass some huge lines and also do much more than we would have otherwise (we paid $155 online for 7 days).

Finally, we would echo the uniformly positive comments about Bruce, the manager. He was extremely pleasant, discrete and helpful - exactly what you'd like, but seldom find.

Would we stay here again - sure, we missed a few of the basic hotel amenities, but at the end of the day we'd rather save money on accommodation and spend it elsewhere in such an expensive city, so we most definitely would be happy to stay again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brigadoon
Reviewed October 23, 2009

Happy to recommend the Sutton Residence for budget travellers. If you are on a budget and willing to share a bathroom with other guests then you can't do much better than this place. The location is spot on for all sight-seeing. It is within feasible walking distance to Grand Central Terminal, Rockefeller Centre, Empire State Building, Macy's, Madison Square Garden, Bloomingdales, Times Square, Central Park - be prepared to walk your socks off though. We used the Subway/Metro a few times - mainly to get down to Battery Park for the Statue of Liberty and Ground Zero.

The guest house itself is clean and comfortable, but it's biggest selling point is the staff. Bruce gave us such a lovely warm welcome after a long day of travel. He is very willing to offer advice when asked - he gave a great recommendation for a restaurant. Also, if arriving at JFK please take his advice for using the AirTrain then subway to get to the premises. The taxi queue was huge at the airport so we made the mistake of using a bus service being offered - this is not recommended by us. We used the subway and AirTrain on the return journey and it was great. During our stay we also met the owner (Heidi) and she was equally as willing to give any advice when required.

The accommodation has 6 rooms and 3 bathrooms. The rooms are an adequate size with wardrobe and drawer space. Towels are provided and extra bedding if necessary. The bathrooms are a good size with bath, shower, sink and toilet in each. We stayed on the 2nd level at the back. We could hear some 'fan' type noise from the buildings behind, but quickly got used to it and it didn't cause us sleepless nights. There is also a living room area with kitchen. This is a cosy space to have a chat with Bruce/fellow guests, and all are welcome to use the kitchen, including leaving food/drink in the fridge. On the day you check out you can leave your cases at the accommodation and keep a set of keys until you are ready to leave for the airport.

Booking is best done direct with the guest house rather than through the website. We used the email address on the website and had very prompt and succinct responses from Bruce. He also gave alternative telephone no.'s to use, including his mobile.

If we are ever lucky enough to re-visit NY we would definitely stay at The Sutton Residence again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2009

Even before I left home, I received good tips from Bruce, which allowed me to get easily from JFK to the address by SuperSaver. And he gave me the address of a good restaurant for a family brunch.

The exterior is not very promising, but once you have climbed the steps and walked inside and met Bruce you feel at home and it is quiet and serene. One enters a large and pleasant lounge with an adjoining kitchen containing a fridge and the wherewithal to make simple meals. My room was just off the lounge and next to the bathroom, which was sparklingly clean, as was the rest of the area. There are laundering factilities too.

My room contained a double bed and a wardrobe big enough for all my belongings and was adequate for a couple.

The location is fantastic - right in the middle of Manhattan, near the Grand Central Station and ten minutes walk from the Rockefeller Center.

I would only stay here if on a trip to New York.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 9, 2009

I was staying at Sutton for 2 months from Nov 08-Jan 09. I was travelling alone and was later joined by my sisters who spent 4 weeks with me... Sutton is great! So convenient (very close to Grand Central station) and a 24 hour drugstore,Duane Reade right across which was where I bought most of my groceries!

The room was just right for one or a couple with ample wardrobe space! Also very close to the post office which opens on Saturdays!

I can't think of staying anywhere else when I'm in New York. I am planning a trip for next summer and I am definitely staying at Sutton again!!

And the host, Bruce is FANTASTIC! Helpful,friendly, and such great company for those cold nights I was staying in!!

Sutton is definitely a thumbs up from me !

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Met our three C's - Clean, Close and Cost Efficient. It was a snap to get to from Newark Airport via skytrain, rail to Penn Station and subway. A warmer and more welcoming host in Bruce can hardly be found. The house is ideally located (a 15 minute walk from Times Square), secure and amazingly quiet. With several bathrooms, computer access, a phone and coffee waiting every morning we had everything we needed.

Would we stay here again? In a New York minute!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2009

I had a great stay at Sutton Residence recently while I was on vacation in NYC. The place is strategically located about 7 mins walk from Grand Central St.

It is clean, well kept, and quiet, hence, you will feel right at home staying here, plus you are also free to use the kitchen and the living room. Just remember to name the food you have bought (if you intend to store it in the refrigerator), lest it gets mistakenly eaten up. Btw, Sutton is also conveniently located next to a Japanese grocery/deli, where you can get good Japanese snacks in case you are feeling peckish at night.

The rooms are clean and tidy, save for the size, which perhaps is perfect for 2 people. An extra bed in the room will leave the room with minimal walking space.

Overall, a great place to stay, and I would highly recommend it for any no-frill travellers.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends