“Great find in the heart of the city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sutton Residence

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Sutton Residence
You added The Sutton Residence to your Saves list
Ranked #34 of 80 New York City B&B and Inns
Buna, Tx
“Great find in the heart of the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The sutton residence was a perfect fit for my recent trip to the city. The location and price were exactly what I was looking for! The manager Bruce was helpful and accommodating but never intrusive. I highly recommend that you consider the sutton residence. It is actually an apartment with 5 available rooms for rent. There are 3 bathrooms to share. The place was clean and comfortable. I will admit the beds were a little hard and the bar downstairs was a little noisy but those things would not deter me from choosing it again. Thank you Bruce for helping to make my trip to the city amazing!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank LoriVerrill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Quebec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

The Residence is in fact a large apartment with kitchen, living room, 3 bathrooms and six bedrooms. It is located over a barbershop and a small café/bar on 47th Street (corner Lexington) very close to Grand Central Station. There are plenty of parking lots around, the cheapest ones being on 46th St. between 1st & 2nd Ave. Expect to pay around $35/24hr in that area unless you have a discount coupon (available on the internet).

Reservations were made through internet. Confirmation came back quickly within 24 hrs. A week before the date of arrival, our room was reconfirmed. Note that payment must be in cash only. Upon arrival, we were greeted very nicely by Bruce. He showed us to our air-conditioned and very clean room and let us settle in. Located at the front of the building, the room itself contained only a comfortable double bed and a night table with four thick towels on it. No television or any other amenities. A chair would however have been useful. The bathroom right near door had a large shower.

Later, Bruce gave us the keys (front and bedroom doors) and explained the set-up. We had access to the kitchen (fridge, stove, microwave) and living room, and could use the t.v., phone (local calls) and computer. Note that there is no room service (make your own bed).

We slept well considering that we were in the center of Manhattan. Traffic was very reasonable in the evening and did not overly disturb us. Earplugs are still a good precaution as there is a small bar underneath and one can hear the music and the people talking loudly sometimes. The use of the kitchen was a godsend since food can be expensive in Manhattan. Overall, the place is comfortable, reasonably priced and extremely well-situated near restaurants, buses, etc. Really a good value.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lyncroft
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I arrived late Sunday afternoon and at first was a little confused because there is no external sign for the Residence and I wasn't sure if I had the right place. However Bruce, the manager, was waiting for me and answered the door promptly. He kindly helped me get my bags inside and so the lack of a lift was not too much of a problem. I found the place comfortable and conveniently located for the subway and food stores.
There are only a few rooms and so it was not difficult to get bathroom and kitchen access. Yes the rooms are small but it is New York and that's par for the course. There is wifi if you have your own computer but if not there is a laptop computer available for guests' use and a phone if you don't have a cell phone to use. In short there is everything that you need.
This was my third visit to NYC and I was very comfortable at Sutton Residence. If I make it to NYC again I will definately stay there. It is great value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank FAinsley
Mendoza, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This place is perfect for those who look for a cheap place in the center of Manhattan. Great location, price and Bruce, the owner, is really kind!.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Lausanne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

A good experience in this guesthouse. A good and afordable solution in the center of Manathan if you do not mind sharing the bathroom. Friendly owner. A little bit more attention to bathroom cleanliness could be possible even if I understand you can not clean after each guest.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

This guesthouse is simple but very clean, cosy, and nice. It worked very well for me. Very quiet. I felt almost like home.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

My friend (who has never been before) and I travelled to New York in June and needed an affordable place (we're both 19) that was safe but also close enough to everything to make it an easy base for exploring. It seemed impossible to find everything we wanted at the price that fit our small budgets... until I stumbled upon this place on TripAdvisor. The reviews the favourable, the communication with the owner was extremely helpful etc. Upon our arrival, Bruce, the manager welcomed us with lots of enthusiasm with lots of suggestions and helpful tips for our stay. The rooms are average size equipped with the basics - bed, closet, drawer and bedside table space. The bathrooms are shared with another room (although we never had a problem with running into our neighbours or waiting for the bathroom) and were clean (although be prepared, slightly aged). Fresh towels, clean beds, great communal space and kitchen (we cooked all of our breakfasts - saved so much money!) iron and ironing board available, ladies even a hairdryer if you need one. Overall, a great, welcoming place. I've already recommended it to friends who have stayed and loved it, and can't wait to go back myself. Would definitely say it's a great place for younger people - you're getting what you pay for. Besides, it's New York City, why waste money on a place you won't even be in for the majority of the night and day! The location is perfect as well, 3 minute walk to Grand Central, right in the centre of the busiest, most popular places in New York. Borderline Upper East Side, it's 10 mins to Central Park, and a block from a great supermarket. Very pleased, definitely will be back soon.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends