“Nice place, good location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Sutton Residence
Ranked #34 of 78 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I stayed almost a week at this place on August 2011. It was great. Room was small but traveling alone this was not a problem. I was able to manage my suitcase inside the small closet. There are hangers on the closet and on the doors, very handful! A nice mirror on the back of the door. I did not found the bed hard.
The bathroon always clean, only a minor problem to adjust the temperature of the water since the shower faucet is kind of broken.
And location is the best, 5 block to Grand Central to catch a lot of trains and/or busses. Short walk to Times Square, Rockefeller Center and United Nations building. I was there on the weekend there was no public transportation due to Irene storm and I walked from Sutton place to Central Park via 5th av. It is not so close but not impossible, and since there was no metro there were few options on where to go.
Bruce was a great help, he was so nice since the moment I arrived until I left when he helped me to catch a taxi on a time that looked like the worst to catch one.
Rooms look JUST like the pictures!! And it is true, you will feel like you are staying with some relatives.
Be prepared to carry your luggage 4 floors since there isn't an elevator.
Being my first time in NYC, I found this place great and very safe and if I ever come back to NY I would choose this place for sure.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank laurichiz

Reviewed June 24, 2011

When we stumbled across this B&B on trip advisor my partner and I thought it was too good to be true; it was a great price, an excellent location and the reviews were good.

Booking and correspondence with Bruce (manager) wasn't a problem as mentioned in one of the other reviews. It is located above a small bar and barber shop so when we first pulled up in the airport shuttle, we found it a little daunting. I did think for a few minutes that I'd found the reason why there are only a handful of reviews. However, if you are accustom to city/townhouse living (which we are not) you won't even think twice about it.

Once inside, it was like staying with long lost relatives. The hospistality was awesome, the rooms, lounge, kitchen and bathrooms were very clean and well equiped. The rooms are small but manageable and although there are shared bathrooms, I think it is a ratio of 2 rooms to 1 bathroom, so in 3 days I think I had to wait maybe 3 mins to go for a shower. We didn't hear any street noise and apart from the extremely hard beds we had 3 pleasant night's stay. The mattresses have obviously been purchased for longevity, which makes sense if you are running a B&B.

The location was fantastic for us as it was only about 5-10 mins walk to Grand Central and 10-15 mins from Times Square. Bruce had subway maps available in the lounge and recommended an all day pass so we had no problems getting around.

If we ever go back to NY, we will, without hesitation, be staying here!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2011

The location of this hotel is great, just a few blocks from Grand Central. However the bed is very hard and the hotel is ABOVE a bar. You can hear the music from the living room of the hotel and the bass of the music from the street facing bedroom, including anyone standing outside the bar talking (more like screaming and laughing, sometimes simultaneously). You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: request the non-street facing room.
  • Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Steeeee69
Reviewed June 3, 2011

I stayed here with two other friends for 4 nights in May 2011. Bruce was a lovely host and was always more than willing to help with any of our queries. In terms of location, it was perfect. Sutton Residence is located really conveniently along Lexington Ave. 5-10 mins away from the Grand Central Station and from there, minutes away to the rest of Manhattan. And in the other direction, 10 mins away from the Lexington Av/53st station which is on the same line as JFK airport, convenient for travellers coming direct from JFK (as we did).

The room looks just as it does in the pictures on the website and we were pleased that despite the minimalistic no frills appearance, it was clean and well-maintained. However, the room was obviously a room for two. The third person was provided with a mattress to sleep on in front of the bed, taking up all the remaining space there was in the room, making walking around the room virtually impossible. However, the room would more than suffice for two. Also, unfortunately, we got the room with the window facing the main streets and we were forced to choose between ventilation or traffic noise.

The bathroom was clean, although the shower head could use a replacement. Towels were provided, but you are on your own for toiletries.
The first floor is a lounge area that we were more than satisfied with, with a well-equipped kitchen, very comfy couches and a TV as well as useful guides to NYC.

Overall, we had a pleasant stay and for only 150USD per night, it was money wellspent!

Room Tip: ask for rooms NOT facing the main street!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Our 5 days in NY were very enjoyable and the welcoming helpful manner of Bruce contributed to our whole experience. The residence has a homely feel and we appreciated access to kitchen and lounge area. Room was basic and although we shared a bathroom with another room we were hardly aware of this.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2011

I stayed here with my daughter for 7 nights in May. I can only repeat the positive comments from other reviewers - rooms are clean, basic but everything you need (except soap in the showers, so be prepared and bring your own). The first floor is a very welcoming space, generously furnished with travel books, tv, dvd player, phone and computer. Yes, mattress was noticeably harder than any other hotel room I've ever stayed in, but we slept fine and didn't experience that as a problem. Bruce truly is an excellent host. He was extremely helpful and accommodating, particularly when our stay was unexpectedly extended by a day.
The only suggestion I would have is that it may be time for a detailed cleaning of grout in the bathroom we shared, which showed some signs of mildew, as well as corners and edges of floors & carpets, and tops of light fixtures & door frames. (I'm really not a fussy housekeeper, quite the opposite, I just noticed dust gathering.) These are very minor maintenance issues, and I would emphasize that otherwise, the hotel is very clean and attended to every day. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed April 13, 2011

I stayed here for 8 nights in April 2011 and was sad to leave both New York and the Sutton. I was thoroughly happy with my choice of accommodation not thrilled with the hostel options in NYC or the lack of privacy of this option or the cost of a proper hotel room for a single. Bruce, the host and manager, happily took my calls in the middle of the night with a last minute earlier arrival and helped me our enormously with directions and day to day advice if I needed it. He even arranged to let me store all my things when I left for a conference for a few days in the middle of my bookings either side of this trip.

I felt very safe and close to the action and the Sutton is in a top location with all the useful shops the grocery and chemist at your fingertips but also bars, cafe's and some of the cities best restaurants. close to subway, walk to times sq, bloomingdale's and grand central and much more.

Bruce offered me clean sheets and towels also during my 8 night stay and the free use of washer/dryer and ability to cook own meals & breakfast is handy.

Like everything there are things that the owners of the Sutton could improve: the beds are a little too hard, I am used to a much softer mattress, a clock radio in the room (I did not need alarm as I have iPod but many others might and it's nice to listen to the local radio when traveling), a new dining table (the glass one does
not really fit and is very
not cool 80s!). as u can see all very minor details but worth a thought. Also I would love a nice hot water bottle to use but maybe byo as hotels probably don't offer due to being sued if twits burn themselves. You could hear the bar downstairs til late but it didn't bother me, I will sleep when tired and there will always be noise in the big apple!

Also, forgot to mention there was free condiments, tea, coffee @ coffee pot, and fresh flowers about. Nice touches.

Would highly recommend.