“Can't wait to go back”
Review of Momofuku Ssam Bar

Momofuku Ssam Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Momofuku Ssam Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #653 of 14,130 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Asian, Korean
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: East Village
Reviewed August 20, 2014

I visit NY once or twice a year, but this is the first time I've been here. I'm upset I have missed out all those years. Food and service are wonderful; just a really relaxed atmosphere and I look forward to my next visit.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Maybe this place is overhyped? We visited with our two teenage daughters and while I have to agree that the flavors are outstanding, the portions are very small. Not only the food, but also the wine pours are a bit stingy.
We all have pretty average appetites but despite ordering many small plates, we all left slightly hungry.
We did have very good service and I enjoyed one of the best cocktails I've had in ages - the Seven Spice Sour. It hit just the perfect balance of sweet, sour and spicy.
I'd maybe come back here for a drink and an appetizer but never again for dinner - just too expensive for what you end up being served.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Traveled from Ottawa and had to take a chance to eat here. I worried i had built it up too much for my group of 4 but then the food started to come. i ordered 7 small plates and a main and the waiter offered to organize it for us.... he did so very well.
4/4 said this was the best overall meal they had ever enjoyed.
simple, well executed, delicious.
the main was a 38 oz brined chop which took us all to our knees - unreal.
we had all three deserts and each were amazing....

an incredible night hosted by a very thoughtful and knowledgeable staff.

Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

This review is based solely on the bo ssam (aka pork shoulder) tasting menu, which I've had on two separate occasions and remains one of my favorite dining experiences to this day. The ambiance is as cool as it gets, and I love the "do it yourself" nature of this meal. Between the oysters, bibb lettuce, kimchi, pork and the amazing variety of sauces, the possibilities are endless! I also recommend getting a few pork buns as an app. They're some of the best in the city.

1  Thank Daniel M
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Have been wanting to try a Momofuku steamed pork bun for years and the dinner we had here did not disappoint.

As they don't take reservations, we decided to have an early dinner and got there just before 7pm. By the time we left just before 9:00pm, the place was packed.

With so many delicious things on the menu, my husband I decided to order a bunch of things and share them. We still wanted one of everything but ultimately decided on the following: pork steamed buns, dry aged sirloin tartar, Cuban bun, more pork steamed buns, fried beef short ribs and roasted Jurgielewicz duck. The fried beef ribs were good, but our least favourite. The duck was phenomenal and that and the buns were our favourites. Had we not wanted to leave room for dessert at Milk across the road, we would have got another serve.

With attentive but not pushy service, truly amazing food and a great atmosphere, it's no wonder this place is so popular. Just be sure to get there early to avoid the wait.

1  Thank Ktsnowowl