“Tasty but nothing earth shattering”
Review of Momofuku Ssam Bar

Momofuku Ssam Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Momofuku Ssam Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #662 of 14,381 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Asian, Korean
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: East Village
Reviewed April 1, 2013

It was ok.

If your Korean food experience is limited, then you may find this exciting culinary experience.

For a Korean like me, it was pretty good food, but otherwise a "meh"

The "authentic" ssam is actually a much more complex dish in flavor and variety.
David Chang "westernized" it a bit dumbed it down for the unsophisticated.

Go to a real korean restaurant and have the "sam-kyup-sal wrap"

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Go in, see the hostess/hostess, give her/him your name and phone number, then walk across the street to the bar on the corner, have a pint or 2, and then they'll call you when table or spot at the bar is ready.

The food is so innovative, and delicious.....I love the Uni Mousse, and about everything on menu that I've had on my last 2 visits while in NYC from San Francisco. The drinks are pricey, but very tasty and fussed in more innovation. So bring some $$, and take a someone special there, just do it......

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Went on a Sat night at 6pm and the place was jammed. They told us 20min for 2 people, took our name and number and would text is when the table was ready. We went for a quick stroll and 10 min later our table was ready. We were seated at a huge communal table. It was super loud so you can't really have a conversation. This was our second time here so we knew to expect this tough. We ordered the BBQ pork buns which are amazing. Also got an order of octopus which really missed the mark, at $19 it wasn't very good and was tiny. We then split the spicy pork sausage with rice cakes, it was awesome! I think almost every other table had the same thing so it's pretty popular. Service was fast and smooth. Fun spot check it out.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

And it was expensive! Portions are pretentiously small. Ok, I can handle the small portions if the food was actually good, but it was so bad that I rather go to a hospital or grade school cafeteria to eat my dinner. If their food is the benchmark, McDonald's would get 3 Michelin Stars. I'm not even exaggerating.

Once upon a time, this WAS a good restaurant. The celebrity chef is nowhere in sight or even visit here so now it's just riding on hype.

1  Thank Max D
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband and I and 5 of our friends made a reservation for the Bo Ssam Pork shoulder meal that was more than enough to feed twice the number of people. We started with appetizer of the steam pork bun which had a phenomenol sauce and wasabi tendon which is not a good pairing and the wasabi did not complement the tendon. And furthermore, once the tendon was that thinly sliced, the textural experience of tendon was lost. The pork shoulder was well cooked to the point of falling off the bone. The condiments were well paired. Overall worth the wait to reserve.