“Delicious food, but overpriced”
Review of Momofuku Ssam Bar

Momofuku Ssam Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Momofuku Ssam Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #655 of 13,937 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Asian, Korean
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: East Village
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We had heard a lot about Momofuku before coming to New York, and since we were picking up a cake from Milk bar across the street, decided to stop here for lunch. Everything we ordered was delicious and interesting - green apple kim chee, pork buns, duck buns, ham, and roasted duck. The food was carefully put together, and the flavors well balanced. Totally worth trying if you like well composed meals. It was just a little pricey for what we got, and the casual atmosphere.

There are newer reviews for Momofuku Ssam Bar

Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We had been here a couple of times before and enjoyed it. Went for one price fixe lunch for $25 and one a la carte. Had the striped bass, duck dumplings and strawberry sorbet with celery on pf and ordered duck bun, rotisserie duck rice and pancakes then shared. All really nice- loved the ssam sauce with the duck and the pulled duck bun. Nice atmosphere- very relaxed- good service at counter. Full on visit but good turnover. Then had crack pie across road for another dessert. Would return next time in nyc and not too bad at $54.

Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

I had heard such wonderful things about chef Chang and his various Momofuku establishments - the fact you couldn't book - the fact that the food pushes boundaries - the fact that Ssam is located in a very gritty up and coming neighbourhood away from the tourist traps - well I have to say that overall it was a huge disappointment - the food was good but certainly pushed no boundaries - there were three of us and we arrived at 7:30 on a Friday night - we were told that we would get a table in 30 - 40 mins - we asked could we wait at the bar only to be told that there was a seperate waiting list at the bar for which we would have to wait an hour?!? So we headed across the road to a different bar - and waited - and waited etc - eventually I went back and was told 10 mins - so we waited - and waited - eventually we went over again after we were buzzed - nearly 90 mins after arriving - we then had I stand and wait for a table for a further 10 mins whilst it was bussed and cleared - eventually when we got to order we ordered 2 portions of the famous pork buns, pickles and ham - the pork buns were like lumps of fat on a white roll with some plum sauce - the ham was very luscious cured ham on a plate - the pickles were basically various veg that had been ..... Well pickled and put on a plate - for mains we ordered octopus, dogfish and spicy sausage and rice - the octopus was ok a the sausage was nice but my other half felt it was overspiced - and the dogfish .....well it never arrived so we asked for it again and got it and it was a just a piece of dogfish sitting on some pistachio paste - it was undercooked in my opinion but the others liked it. Then we asked for coffees only to be told that they don't do coffee ?!? Overall the atmosphere and the room are very buzzy and cool but the service was below average and the food was only ok - I wouldn't rush back (maybe to try the duck) and I can't complain about the price as the bill for 3 including wine and beers was under $200 - but the proof of the pudding was that we got a subway on the way home and the $4 sub I ate there was far more enjoyable and satisfying...

Reviewed November 8, 2012

My favorite thing is to eat at the casual cafes that are a branch of a more formal - hard to find reservations unless you book weeks ahead - type of restaurant. In this case it was Momofuko Ssam bar. This is where you should come to eat if you will be visiting or taking a tour of the Lower East Side. Its hard to describe the menu other than saying it is very innovative Asian that sources its ingredients from the very best farms. So expect very high quality food, served quickly in a relaxed setting. Their steamed buns are my favorite!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

While visiting with my cousin and my brother, we decided to eat at this bar. I must admit some of the descriptions of the food scared me especially the Trout Roe. I had never eaten fish eggs before. Some of the foods I tried were steamed buns – pork belly, hoisin, cucumbers, scallions; country ham-finchville farms ham (finchville, ky) which was the least smoked and edwards wigwam ham (surry, va)- the smokiest;shanghai noodle – chanterelles, hearts of palm, trout roe; honeycrisp apple kimchi – maple labne, jowl bacon, arugula; and corn ice cream pie – raspberries, thai basil. Everything was delectable except I minimized the trout roe that I ate. I had a wonderful experience at this really eclectic place.