“Great food great service”
Review of Basso56

Basso56
Reserve with OpenTable
Basso56 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 13,937 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Fine dinning restaurant
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Ask for Alfredo! He served us very well. My wife ordered the duck made with an aged balsamic vinegar reduction and fig. I had the risotto with seafood. Unbelievably, there seems to be more seafood than risotto! The chef is from Abruzzo in Italy and many of the dishes exemplify that area. Oh, I almost forgot, we shared a pan seared scallops. Heavenly!

Expensive, but I had a glass of barolo wine with the meal. You can't go wrong.

1  Thank Alex080856
There are newer reviews for Basso56

Reviewed August 11, 2014

I ate here about 5 years ago when Basso56 was rated #1 on tripadvisor. We loved it so much we ate there two nights in a row. 5 years later I would have eaten here two nights in a row again if my schedule allowed. Good or bad, the menu hasn't really changed, in fact I think some of the off menu specials were the same as well. We had fantastic service and food, would come back here over and over again.

1  Thank wannabefree
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Had dinner at Basso56 on our first night in NYC. Saw the excellent reviews on Tripadvisor. We had reservations and were seated immediately. 15 minutes after we were seated another couple was seated. It was apparent they were regulars. The waiter read the specials to both of us at the same time. He then proceeded to get the other table their drinks first. When he returned he went to the other table to get their appetizer order. He then went to put in their order making us wait 15 minutes to return and take our order. When he returned to take the dinner order he repeated the process, taking their order first then disappearing for another 15 minutes before taking our order. To say the least their meal came out first. I was planning on a coffee and desert but once again he took care of the regulars before us. By now I was fuming so when he returned I spoke my peace and asked for the check. He returns with a free desert that I can not eat. I again ask for the check. He returns with two drinks which neither of us drink. Once again, the food was excellent. I am normally a 25 - 30% tipper but our waiter was sorely disappointed.

3  Thank Joe M
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I have eaten here on two occations, once with my wife and a second dinner with 6 business associates. I can tell you the restaurant was a big hit with all our guests and made them feel like they were being treated in a special way. The food is very creative and the flavors are outstanding. I had the ox tail ragu over pasta and it was one of the best pasta dishes I ever had. If you have the opportunity to dine here you will be well taken care of and the meal meal will be very enjoyable. Good wine list also.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

dinner very creative and well prepared. So much like a trip to Italy.
Service excellent. Will return to this gem.