“Way, way, way, overrated!”
Review of Basso56

Basso56
Reserve with OpenTable
Basso56 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 13,763 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Fine dinning restaurant
Manalapan, New Jersey, United States
“Way, way, way, overrated!”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I agree with the recent reviews. The food here is only solid fare at best, and no better than any good Italian joint in Brooklyn, Jersey or Staten Island. Certainly not exceptional! My guess is the rest of the country only has Olive Gardens so these folks are easily impressed.

Service is great, food is good, not great, the decor is very, very nice and prices moderate for NYC.

• Polish first
New York City, New York
“Neighborhood Italian restaurant with outstanding food”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We;ve been to a million Italian restaurants in NYC and elsewhere. This is among the best. Fantastic food. Excellent service. Very busy so a reservation is a must -- but relatively quiet due to low ceilings and acoustical tile.

This is not a five start place in the Michelin sense...but the food couldn't be better.

We had a 7:30 reservation for 3 on a Saturday night. Busy... but we were seated within ten minutes. Line went to the door. Table setting simple. Bread and a Bruschetta for each guests brought immediately after we were asked if we wanted water.

One red and one white wine by the glass...Moderately priced at $10 and $11 (for New York). One dirty Tanqueray martini, excellent and filled to the top. Then another was ordered along with a black russion after dinner. Large drinks not overfilled with ice.

Two appetizers. Involenti (eggplant stuffed with goat cheese over arugula with warmed cherry tomatoes excellent. HUGE portion of fried calamari with very good sauce was more than enough for two. Recommend sharing appetizers if you don't want to be too full because dinner portions are large.

One filet minion over caramelized onions with a fantastic sauce cooked perfectly rare as requested. Two veal scallopine equally good. No room for dessert or even coffee..

Overall an excellent experience with gentle but present servers including our lovely and attentive waitress, Natalia.

Impeccably clean.

Highly recommend.

FYI Bar Basso is across the street and you can wait there and they will call for you if things are late or you are early.

East Hampton, New York
“Warm and welcoming”
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

This was one of my nicest restaurant meals in a long time (even though my sister-in-law was with us)

The food was really good. The staff was friendly, helpful and welcoming and the wine list was extensive with reasonable prices.

Our waitress went over the specials with enthusiasm and we enjoyed them very much (I usually go with the specials)

This place is part of the reason New York is the culinary capital of the world.

Montréal, Canada
“Good but not excellent”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I wish I could say that the food was perfect but I can't. It was good but not so tasteful that we would want to run back right away. Also, the tomato sauce was a bit to tart to my taste and my husband's choice was also good, but not stunning.

Also a suggestion. Everybody was really nice, the service really great, but maybe because we are not from the USA, we are use to eat a bit more slowly and not in a rush, unless going to the theater in a limited time. Including a taste of the wine, the menus, the appetizers, the entrees and the coffees, we were finished in an hour and 15 minutes tops. To quick. I want to have a bit of time to talk, to discuss, to relax, not having immediately my other plate, as soon as I finish the first, and I want a bit of time before my desert. The coffee seemed good Italian coffee.

Bergen, Norway
“Great Italian place, but not stunning”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

A really good experience. Hearty, tasty and delicious Italian food (with American twist) cooked to perfection. The staff were smiling, helpful and made us feel very at home. However, this was not an extraordinary place that leaves you stunned. I would definitely go back, recommend it to my best friend, mom and aunt, but it was not stunning. The reviews here on TA leave an impression that it is, and I'm sorry to say so - if you go here for an otherworldly gourmet experience you will be disappointed.