“Favourite place to dine in NYC”
Review of Basso56

Basso56
Reserve with OpenTable
Basso56 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #80 of 14,395 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Fine dinning restaurant
Reviewed January 30, 2013

TripAdvisor helped me find this place and it was a revelation. My girlfriend and I go every single time we're in NYC.

First off, it's small restaurant so the setting is intimate. If you're sitting at one of the 2-seater tables you'll end up sitting fairly close to the other couple dining around you. However, this turns out to be a blessing since you can see what everyone is eating and can politely ask your neighbours if they'd recommend anything. (Although I should mention that every single thing on this menu is delectable so you can't go wrong no matter what you choose.)

The buffalo mozzarella is a must-have. I've never tasted fresher, melt-in-your-mouth buffalo mozzarella -- it's 100% comparable to the mozzarella I bought fresh off a buffalo farm in Italy last summer. The crab cakes are also the freshest I've ever tasted. I've also had the papardele with wild boar ragu and the gnocchi with gorgonzola and both were too delicious for words.

It's location -- blocks away from the south tip of Central Park and 10 blocks north of Times Square -- makes it the perfect place to eat before or after a Broadway show or before or after a stroll in the park.

I can say, without hesitation, Basso56 is my favourite restaurant in North America.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,011)

Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were in NYC and chose this restaurant based on other reviews that I had read. We made a reservation and were seated as soon as we walked in the door. Our server was excellent and the rest of the staff was on point as well. The food is reasonably priced and portions are big. They give you a basket of bread and a bowl of olives. We also got bruschetta on the house. The decor was nice, painted brick walks and lots of wine bottles, dimly lit with white table cloths and candles. Our bill was just over $100 with tax and tip. We each had a glass of wine, entree and dessert. We will definitely go back!!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

With almost all things these days, I am a little skeptical and cautious. After reading the reviews, I decided to give Basseo a try and it did not disappoint. In the last three months I have eaten at Marea, Le Bernadin, Carravaggio & Daniel. Clearly different from each other and all excellent. For the money, this is great food and value. The service and food were very good. Looking forward to going back and seeing if I am still as impressed.

1  Thank Dallas_Tx_gal
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Ate at Basso56 before the theatre. Found the location perfect and the food very good. We are very picky about Italian food having formerly lived in Italy, and we found Basso to our liking. Had the pappadelle with wild boar ragu. This is a dish common to Firenze. I have no idea where they got the wild boar...but the dish was delicious. We called for reservations, but were told just to come and it would only be a 15 or or so minute wait since this was early. The place was packed, but a table did open up within 10-15 minutes. They must have constant no-shows that they count on, or we were very fortunate. If we lived here we would return, but fortunately we have a great Italian restaurant to keep us happy at home! (see Tavola, Charlottesville, VA)

1  Thank Hlady
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a very nice dinner at Basso56 on an early Saturday evening.

The restaurant is understated from the outside...below a nail salon and 1/2 a level below the street. The space is pretty confined with low ceilings and the bar is wedged into the front...right next to the hostess and coat check. The long narrow dining area is simply decorated with painted brick walls and wine bottles surrounding. Overall, this is a dining room well suited for a dinner with friends, but its not a place to bring a client or romantic interest whom you are trying to impress.

The food was much more memorable. We had a burrata cheese appetizer that reminded me of a recent trip to Florence...freshly made and nicely paired with prosciutto. We enjoyed a pear salad with goat cheese that was also very good. For entres we had a red snapper that was perfectly seasoned and cooked and a pasta dish with spinach and mushrooms. Overall I would say the food was well above average, and the service was excellent.

I did select this restaurant using TA and I wasn't disappointed. Based on the reviews I was expecting something a little fancier, but Basso56 made up for its simple atmosphere with excellent food and service.

As of this moment TA has Basso56 ranked #9 amongst nearly 6,000 NYC restaurants...I wouldn't put it in the Top 100...but it's worth a visit for great Italian food with friends.