“Very nice find!”
Review of Basso56

Basso56
Reserve with OpenTable
Basso56 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 14,216 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Fine dinning restaurant
Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

This review speaks to the value that everyone contributing brings. I searched for a restaurant near my hotel for a quick/excellent late evening meal and found Basso56. I needed to eat at the bar since I was a walk-in but that had only a minor impact on my experience. The service was excellent. The food was even better. I would highly recommend this place but recommend you make reservations so you can have a more comfortable table/location.

1  Thank Nancy B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,979)

Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

place was a little empty at noon
I can't say anything bad, food is good, service as well
the environment seems a bit odd
but perhaps it was the hour
I give it four stars cause it is definitely above average, being at top 10 restaurant..? well I don't know

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Went here as it was one of the only places open after Hurricane Sandy and also saw it was highly recommended on TripAdvisor. Best to make a reservation as we were slotted into an hours gap but that was ok for us. We received complimentary bruschetta, olives and bread basket - all were incredible. We had a lovely glass of Pinot Grigio and a fantastic pasta dish each. Service was quick, helpful and the food was absolutely delicious. No room for pudding. Extremely well priced - very reasonable for the high standard of the restaurant. A great find!

1  Thank Jack M
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We;d booked ahead of our visit, which meant we turned up for our table at 8 having walked ourselves almost to a standstill.
Nonetheless, the service was polite and attentive, and we managed to stay awake long enough to enjoy delicious lamb chops and spaghetti with lamb ragu alongside a bottle of Negroamaro (excellent choice by ME :-D)
Will go back again when we're less likely to end up face down in the pasta.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I go to tripadvisor like it is a bible. I always check out reviews before I go somewhere. I was very excited to be trying this highy ranked restuarant but unfortunately was disappointed. The positives: the staff was friendly and our waitress was very attentive. We ordered the fired calamari. We sent it back because it was very thick and chewy. They apologized and took it off our bill. The waitress came back later to say that another table just returned their order as well. Evidently he chef had tried something new. That was nice of her to say. I had a delicious salad with goat cheese and pear. I had ordered the lobster filled crepes. The waitress did tell me that the crepes were not a pasta. The flavor was good but I did not like the crepe. It was dry and really tasted more like paper. My friend had the steak which she liked. Creme Brule for dessert had an orange flavor which we did not like. It said it was vanilla. I think the added something to the top shell. The cappuccino I had was ok. I guess I had higher expectations.