“Gosh, what decadence!”

Chocolate by the Bald Man, Max Brenner
Reserve with OpenTable
Chocolate by the Bald Man, Max Brenner is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #319 of 14,031 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Between 13th and 14th Streets
Transit: L, N, R, Q, W, 4, 5 & 6 trains to 14th Street/Union Square.
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Ok, so this is our second visit to Max Brenner's, but my first review. I can only say that I couldn't be sure it was as good as we thought the first time.

This is my second winter visit to Max Brenner's with my two boys, now ages 14 and 9. They LOVE the place, and I agree. I have never, ever, tasted better hot chocolate. It just doesn't exist. And if you don't believe me, you need to go and try it, because you tailor the hot chocolate to YOUR tastes, so how can it be anything but wonderful?

My kids have munch (and gobbled!) chocolate burgers and chocolate pizza, while I opted for more savory options. All were delightful, but we agree that the hot chocolate is the thing not to be missed, and to dream of between visits. Maybe it's salted caramel chocolate, or maybe white chocolate, or maybe just traditional. Whatever your dream, it will taste better at Max Brenners than you can imagine. We can't wait to go again.

My only area for improvement is on seating/wait times. We arrived with no reservation, and were told it was an hour and a half wait. I hopped onto Open Table, and got a reservation for 25 minutes after our arrival time. Ten minutes before that, we got an alert saying our table was ready. Totally confusing. Someone probably needs to sort out the times/reservations a little more crisply. But in not way would I say this taints our visit at all. We left entirely satisfied and smiling.

1  Thank Dusty S

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Friends of ours came in from Colorado, so we knew we wanted to take them into Max Brenners for breakfast. When we got there, the place was basically empty which we thought would be a good thing. We could order…get moving and get on our day of sight seeing.

It took about 10 minutes for someone to come over to us at all. Our waiter was working the other side of the room. When he did come over and introduce himself, all we wanted was water and coffee to start. Another ten minutes went by before we got the water and the coffee and finally he came to take the orders. There were four adults and two kids.

We ordered the food and everything came out, except for a child's food. She ordered plain pancakes. I am not sure if the waiter forget the order or if they did not understand plain pancakes but they came twenty minutes after the rest of our meal.

Our silverware on the table was dirty and we had to ask to have pieces changed. We asked for water refills, and the waited went to the other side of the restaurant for the water and silverware, even though we were sitting literally next to a serving station. The service was okay, the timing was poor and we were all very confused about how things got to us.

However…..the premise of the restaurant is that everything is made from chocolate. Amazing.

There was a variety of food ordered at our table. The Huevos Rancheros Burrito, i was told was amazing. It was tasty and the flavoring was great. The After Party Waffle was fantastic and none of complained about the food at all.

I will give them another chance. I loved the place itself, it was just poor service that one day.

Go with an appetite. Go with an open mind and expect to leave full…and on a sugar high!

Reviewed January 24, 2014

The servers are fun, the food is relish and unlike so many NYC places it doesn't take itself too seriously. A great place for a bite with pals or to give the kids a chocolatey treat.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Our family of four recently tried this restaurant and we absolutely loved it. Kids had delicious Mac and cheese. Fish tacos and grilled chicken panini were scrumptious. Desserts were so good, we had a hard time choosing just two. Highly recommend! Kids loved it!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Great place for chocolate lovers... lot's of delicious stuff (gotta try the milkshake and the foundue). Service was just OK, but nothing that wouldn't make you want to come back.