“My new FAVORITE restaurant”

Chocolate by the Bald Man, Max Brenner
Reserve with OpenTable
Chocolate by the Bald Man, Max Brenner is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #859 of 14,430 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Between 13th and 14th Streets
Transit: L, N, R, Q, W, 4, 5 & 6 trains to 14th Street/Union Square.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

While visiting New York City with friends, we at at Max Brenner with a large group of 15 people. The service was wonderful. We had a large but cozy table on the second floor. The food was absolutely delicious, and the desserts were by far my favorite in New York City. We loved it so much that we went back the next day for lunch. Their shakes are out of this world. Overall, highlight restaurant of the trip. I will now go there every single time I visit NYC. Delish!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,802)

Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

I went on a Thursday morning about 10:00 am and got right in. Had the chocolate peanut butter banana crepe. It was delish! Prices are a little steep but food was great, as was the service. I also picked up a chocolate shot on my way out, that thing was amazing!

1  Thank Sbrownhere
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I visited the NEW YORK CITY - 841 Broadway location on 3/2/13 and this was not my 1st visit here. I have always spoke highly of your restaurant, and this past visit had changed my vision of Max Brenner in NYC. I was with a group of 6 adults and 1 infant. We arrived at your location around 1pm (w/o a reservation) and the hostess said the wait would be about 1.5 hours. We were ok with that and they took our number down to text me when our table was ready. We received a text about 45 minutes after so I called the restaurant to make sure that they didn't make a mistake and they said they did make a mistake and it would take 1.5 hours so again, we were ok with that and waited. By 3:45pm, i still did not get a text so I then again called the restaurant and they said it would take another hour or so. My group had waited since 1pm and we were not going to wait any longer so I returned to the restaurant and asked to speak with the manager. Once we got to the restaurant, I could see how unorganized the hostesses were. They were quoting people 15-20 minutes, when it CLEARLY was not a 15-20 minute wait; people would return after 15-20 mins and the table still was not ready. I am so unpleased with service at this location. When we were ready to finally be seated, the manager mentioned that he would "take care" of my group, but I didn't see anything taken care of from the bill, to our service. I have never experience anything so unorganized and unprofessional as I did that day. I clearly would not recommend anyone to visit this restaurant, even with a reservation. The hostess staff must be retrained and have better customer service and better knowledge of quoting people times that are more achievable.

1  Thank Kim T
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

We walked into this highly recommended place only to see it swarmed by people as if chocolate is going to vanish from the face of this earth as the sun goes down! Firstly no one answers the phone for reservations and then one is told that there is a waiting period of 1 hour once you land up there! The atmosphere is dark and dingy and the place seems like a mad-house. Thought I had walked in to "treat" myself to some chocolate, not "suffer" it! We bought some truly over-priced chocolates and beat a hasty retreat...the quicker we got out of there, the faster we would be able to breathe normally! The chocolates we purchased were good, but definitely nothing to justify all the hype about the Bald Man! Next time I want to treat myself to some chocolate, I shall just walk into a Godiva...

Reviewed February 26, 2013

this was an unusual restaurant with an emphasis on chocolate. The Brenner’s we visited was on Broadway between 14th and 13th just a block below Union Square. The restaurant is open from 9am to midnight and has a chocolate bar, chocolate bakery, traditional menu and sitting area. It can get very busy at meal times. We had the Mac and Cheese Skillet, hot chocolate and chocolate shake (what else). The food was delicious, the service was friendly. If you are visiting NYC, this should be a required stop because there is nothing like it back in Indiana.