“Simply ... excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

AKA Times Square
Ranked #179 of 475 Hotels in New York City
“Simply ... excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed at AKA Times Square in July 2013. We had everything at our doorstep ... Times Square was literally a 45 second walk to the right! The location was second to none ... Broadway theatre district, great restaurants, parks, shopping and the MTA Subway and Bus system takes you everywhere.
On arrival, our check-in was fast and easy. We stayed in a studio room which was HUGE - the size of a one bedroom apartment! The room was situated on the fifth floor toward the front of the building and we had no problem with street noise. The apartment was tastefully furnished and the full sized kitchen had all the conveniences of home ... not to mention the separate laundry nook with a front load washer and dryer ... which came in very handy indeed.
The personnel at the front desk were always friendly and helpful. Our theatre shows were reserved with the help of the kind gentleman at the front desk.
We had an amazing experience in New York City and at AKA Times Square ... we can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Betty L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed in a 2 bedroom suite September 2013. Room was clean and well appointed with plenty of kitchen utensils and a huge fridge. I particularly appreciated having a washing machine and tumble drier as the weather was so hot.
Both bedrooms were a reasonable size and there was lots of wardrobe and drawer space. Living space was huge and with 4 of us staying we never felt in each other's way.
Bathroom was small, but perfectly adequate, although I would have liked a bath.
While there was little natural light, the in-room lighting was great, so I didn't notice.
Staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
Overall, we had a great time and would seek out other AKA properties in future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank buttercupkitty
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

This apartment hotel is less than 2 minutes from times square and yet very quiet. A great place if you're staying for over a week. The front desk service was fantastic with very friendly and efficient staff. The rooms were spacious and very well appointed. The only slight disappointment was the size of the bathroom. More of an en suite really. Overall highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Paul C
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I've stayed in two separate AKA properties in New York City for a grand total of 40 days, so it seems about time to write one of them up. As I've mentioned in previous reviews, I am a writer and a photographer and I go to New York twice a year for fashion week, which requires me to work super long hours shooting in very stressful/strenuous situations. Basically l'm never sight-seeing, or enjoying New York's fab restaurants, I am actually living and working while I'm there, so the 'apartments' at AKA, with full kitchens, consistent wifi, and washers and dryers in the unit make this way easier.
Sadly, there are some issues. Of course, as others have said the location is very noisy all night long (not really the hotel's fault, they can't help street noise) so you must be a heavy sleeper or bring ear plugs to get even a few hours of sleep. Also, as others have said there really isn't any 'services' at the hotel (no bar, café or room service- although the Mela hotel’s restaurant across the street will deliver to you) I don't really mind the lack of service, as I usually cook myself while working in New York, but it is something to consider. My issue with the AKA is that all my trips I have never had a problem-free experience. Once they had no water, and I wasn't able to shower before my first day of shooting (when I objected staff told me 'just deal with it') another time I got the flu and was very ill, but the heater broke and the hot water got turned off in our room do to construction (?) in the hotel and it took several days of my feverish phone calls to get them to do anything (each time I was told 'just deal') this last time, the hotel was replacing beds on the upper floors and employees blocked both elevators so that guests were not able to leave or return to their rooms. This was done without the courtesy of telling anyone in advance, so at 7am as I raced out of my room to catch the 7:05 train, I had to wait...for 15 minutes in the hallway not knowing what was going on, with all my camera gear and I was very, very late for the shoot. This costs me money, time, and potential future jobs. NOT OK. When I questioned the front desk people about this they said 'just deal'. This seems to be the answer for everything. At this point, I am planning on finding a new location for my work trips to New York, I am just sick of crappy attitude from the employees and sick of paying 300+ a night to ‘just deal with’ a myriad of problems.

Room Tip: Buyer beware, noisy at night, lots of upkeep related issues and not-so-polite staff.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
8 Thank Cynthia A
Devonport, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed 10 nights here. I have to say when we first arrived at the AKA I was a little disappointed. The room was nothing like the photos showed, we found out later that the photos on the internet weren't actually of this particular hotel, which I think is a little deceiving. Anyway after i got over all that I really grew to love it. The washing machine and dryer are a godsend when you are travelling and there wouldn't be many hotels in New York that have those. The location is just brilliant, literally two minutes walk to Times Square, walking distance to the bus depot the pick up points for the Hop on Hop off busses, 10 to 15 minute walk to Central park. It is just the perfect spot. Even though it's close to Times Square, it was surprisingly fairly quiet. Lots of little restaurants in the street. The staff were lovely and very helpful. The only downside is the rooms aren't serviced everyday, but with the washer and dryer I just washed my own towels everyday. I would definitely stay there again. We've only been home just over a week and really miss it. The bed was hard though.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mumof5_13
Guernsey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I were staying at the Sofitel New York also on 44th street.

Last Thursday night my wife was treating me to a show on Broadway - The Lion King.

We were all dressed up and walking towards Times Square on 44th street when suddenly it started to rain heavily.

We took shelter under the AKA hotel canopy and were discussing how we could get to the Minskoff Theatre without getting wet. We didnt want a cab as it was only about two blocks away but the rain was torrential.

I was just about to return to the Sofitel ( a block away) when the AKA doorman came out, gave us an AKA umbrella and sent us on our way. I promised to return the umbrella on returning from the show BUt he insisted on us keeping it.

It was a very generous gesture and got us out of a sticky situation. Other people arrived at the show looking like drowned rats whilst we arrived dry and beaming from such an unselfish gesture.

Thank you mystery doorman.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GGGSarnia
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

A good experience from start to finish. Was going to spend one night at AKA on the way back from Chicago and could not stay there on the way through as they were fully booked. They were very accommodating in storing luggage for 4 nights before arrival. Reception was good and professional. Moved all luggage up into rooms when they were ready and we were out to lunch. the rooms are clean, well appointed and also have a kitchenette. AKA is also situated just off Time Square, so very central.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business