“Good food but very busy restaurant”

Benjamin Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Benjamin Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #218 of 14,031 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between Park and Madison Avenues
Description: Peter Luger chef of 20 years, Arturo McLeod left to open his own restaurant - Benjamin Steakhouse. For serious steak-connoisseurs, Benjamin is a must visit. The restaurant, located in the heart of Manhattan, offers the finest and carefully selected prime USDA meat, dry aged to perfection. Wide selection of wines and vintages for pairing. The 5,000 square foot restaurant features a ten-foot working fireplace, rich chocolate brown leather seating, oak wood paneling, vaulted decorative ceiling, and modern brass amber toned chandeliers.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

High quality steak restaurant, but very dark and extremely busy. Cant recommend it for a date or if you want to have a romantic evening.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Be hungry when you go here. Their special is the Porterhouse. For 2 people its 32 oz for 4 people 64 oz. It is HUGE. We went for the Filets as we weren't that hungry and they were delicious and plenty for us. The sides are also plentiful for 2 to 3 people.

Rae S, Manager at Benjamin Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Good afternoon,

I hope this note finds you well. As the Director of Marketing and Group Sales for Benjamin Steakhouse, I wanted to introduce myself. Thank you very much for the kind review; I am so pleased that you enjoyed the Benjamin Steakhouse experience!

If there is ever anything I can assist with, from upcoming reservations to special requests, it would always be my pleasure to do so.

Warm regards,
Raechel
212.297.9177
Raechel@benjaminsteakhouse.com

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We did Benjamin and Del Frisco both on this trip, so the best thing I can do is compare the two. First and foremost, the service at Del Frisco is above and beyond, to say the least. At Benjamin, I almost felt like they thought we were lucky to be eating there. The service started out decent, but fell off drastically as the night went on. It took 45 minutes from finishing our meal to get a dessert menu. In contrast, Del Frisco's service was exceptional. I ordered a special filet trio they had for the evening, and after ordering medium rare and getting talked into getting medium (their medium was supposed to be borderline medium rare), twice it came out medium well. They apologized profusely and the speed at which they got out the new plate each time was unreal. We had two different managers visit the table, and they actually ended up taking the cost off of the bill (despite me telling them multiple times that wasn't necessary). The filet trio was great. The lobster mac and cheese was delicious. And the six layer lemon cake was incredible. I really can't say enough about the atmosphere and service though. Again, comparing to Benjamin: at Benjamin, my wife's filet was way undercooked, and my medium ribeye was charred to barely medium well, almost well done...and they didn't seem too concerned with how it was cooked. Overall the food at Benjamin was good, but so was the food at Del Frisco, and everything else at Del Frisco was head and shoulders above Benjamin. I would highly recommend Del Frisco, and would be hesitant to recommend Benjamin for the same cost.

Mark,

Good afternoon, I hope this note finds you well. As the Director of Marketing and Group Sales, I wanted to introduce myself. First of all, thank you very much for your review. From the beginning, customer feedback has been invaluable to us as a restaurant group.

Second, please know that we have built our reputation on providing the ultimate dining experience and if this was not the case, I do apologize. Obviously you understand that there are a myriad of steakhouse options in New York, so we do take our reputation as one of the best very seriously. While I am please that there were some parts of your meal that were enjoyable, I wish we were able to truly amaze.

For that lack, I would like to send you a gift certificate to join us again and experience the best of Benjamin Steakhouse. If you would send me your mailing address, I could take care of that today.

If you have any questions or wish to further discuss, I can be reached at raechel@benjaminsteakhouse.com

Warm regards,
Raechel

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Living in Chicago, I've been to my share of high end steak houses and this ranks up there with the best!

I was originally planning on trying Wolfgang's but the concierge at the Carlton recommended Benjamin's and I'm glad we took his advice. We had a 5:30 PM reservation so we'd have plenty of time before going to a 8:00 Broadway show. The restaurant was fairly empty when we entered but quickly filled up with other people doing the same thing.

Our waiter, Ricky, was outstanding (I saw another reviewer agrees with us)! My wife was looking for a flavored martini and he was helpful in his suggestion. She loved it and made sure I got the recipe. My wife ordered the lobster bisque while I had a salad and a slice (slab would be a better word) of thick sliced bacon. This must be a New York steak house tradition and it's great. By all means, order the bacon for an appetizer (one slice is plenty). My wife had a filet and I had the ribeye. Both were cooked to perfection and tasted excellent. We split a baked potato and a side of creamed spinach. We didn't have room for dessert but did enjoy a cup of coffee and a port before enjoying a nice stroll over to Broadway.

You can't go wrong here.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

And our waiter did just that! We had a fantastic meal, steak for two which they graciously provided for the three of us, asparagus, and steak fries. Oh, and a wonderful bottle of wine very reasonably priced by any restaurant standard. Our waiter was Ricky and he was exceptional and made us very welcome as did the manager who visited with us for several minutes. Overall, a great experience.