“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Leon Hotel

The Leon Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Canal Street, New York City, NY 10002 (Formerly Be Hotel) (Chinatown)   |
Ranked #78 of 478 Hotels in New York City
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

A friend found this hotel while googling for boutique hotels and it is certainly a gem in this sprawling, crowded city. Rooms were clean. Room service was prompt and meticulous. Access to lots of good food in Chinatown. Grand St. Station is a five minute walk away. Very convenient. There was always someone to greet us at reception whenever we left or returned to the hotel. A special mention - Eduardo, the GM, was extremely helpful in trying to help get my art prints (which I had forgotten) returned to me in Singapore. His responses were polite, detailed and prompt. He even made sure to inform me that my prints had been picked up by the Fedex guys which just goes to show how much this hotel values thoroughness.

Excellent place. You won't regret it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
BeHotel_GM, General Manager at The Leon Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write this review about Be Hotel!

I am glad that you enjoyed the convenient location of the hotel and that service was “prompt and meticulous” It was my pleasure to return the art prints back to you in Singapore, I know that they were important to you.

I do not know how often you travel back to NYC but I do hope that the next time you do, that you reach out to me directly. You already have my information but just in case, I can be reached at eaguilar@behotelnyc.com. I hope that I hear from you soon!

Eduardo Aguilar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Turbotville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The BE hotel was amazing! When we have visited NYC in the past, we have stayed in midtown where it is really crowded, expensive and the hotel rooms are tiny. Staying in lower Manhattan was such a difference! Our room was huge, the staff was very nice and helpful, and we loved that little Italy and Chinatown were right outside our door! We had a view of the Manhattan bridge and freedom tower from our promo. We will never stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: We had the two room suite so we could put the kids in one room and stay up with friends in the other...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Christine F
Thank you for taking the time to write this “amazing” review of Be Hotel!

I was very excited to keep on reading this review based on how it started. There is definitely a difference between staying uptown and downtown and you mentioned very legitimate points on those differences. I believe you stayed in a 04 room which does have a great view of the Manhattan Bridge archway entrance.

Since you will never stay anywhere else, I believe you should have a point of contact for your future reservations. When you decide to come back to NYC please reach out to me directly at eaguilar@behotelnyc.com, I look forward to hearing from you!

Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Can't say enough good things about BE Hotel. From the moment I called with reservation questions all the way through checkout, they were wonderful. I would especially single out Dante for how helpful he was during our stay: he even set us up with a map and guide for the area, and that proved a lot more helpful than the guidebook we showed up with. We stayed three nights prior to heading up to the Catskills. The location was perfect and a short walk from the subway. We spent a lot of time Downtown and in Midtown, but we were always back in the vicinity of the hotel for a bite to eat, a stroll around Chinatown streets, etc. We had a corner room on the top floor and no issues whatsoever with wireless. It was also really nice to look out over the Manhattan Bridge and city at night. It was as quiet as we could've hoped for (it's not like there's anyplace in NYC without honking horns...). With two double beds, it was plenty of room for our family of four and roomier than I was expecting. I also liked the Keurig coffee maker, but it didn't seem to be working the first day, so I left a note for the housekeeper. She (Janise) left a note about how it was working and made a cup of coffee to prove it. It turns out I wasn't using it right. Anyway, our note exchange didn't stop there, and the kids got a kick out of leaving notes for her and excited to see what she would write back. This may seem silly, but it was the kind of personal touch that we really appreciated, especially during an otherwise hectic trip.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you very, very much for this review and for staying with us on your most recent trip to NYC. This review reflects the dedication of our staff and the genuinely good people we hire and try to further develop.

I regret to inform our audience that Dante no longer works at Be Hotel as he has gone back to further his education back home in California. He will definitely be missed by our staff due to his ability to effortlessly impact a guest’s stay. We wish him well.

While there are other positive things I can highlight about this review, what stood out to me was the notes being exchanged with Jenise (room attendant) and your daughter(s). This truly made me smile! I also shared this review with our staff to commend both Jenise and Dante for their efforts.

We always try to give our guests the personal service that they will not find anywhere else. I truly believe that this, if done consistently, will set us apart from other hotels and I am very appreciative for you taking notice. Hopefully we can welcome you back soon so that Jensie and your daughter(s) can continue their pen pal communications. Should you decide to come back please feel free to email me at eaguilar@behotelnyc.com.

boston, ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

My husband & I stayed here for a weekend, and had a very comfortable visit. The staff we met at check in were very friendly and helpful, the room was big for Manhattan and everything was clean. The location is great for seeing lower Manhattan and there are a lot of good restaurants and bars nearby.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank belfast10
Thank you for your most recent visit to Be Hotel.

I am happy that you and your husband had a “very comfortable” stay while with us. It seems that you took advantage of some of the local haunts in the area. We are fortunate to have so many different neighborhoods in close proximity to each other, Chinatown, Little Italy, Lower East Side and Noho. Each neighborhood can provide something for everyone.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip. Maybe I can provide some of my local favorites for you to add to the list of the things you enjoy in NYC? Should you decide to come back, please feel free to reach out to me directly at eaguilar@behotelnyc.com.

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I found this hotel on the Hotel Tonight app after a mixup at the previous hotel I'd been staying at all week for work, and had no idea what to expect. Saying I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. It's in a great location with easy access to lower Manhattan, and is in a very clean, unassuming building. The staff was so friendly and welcoming that I wished I would have been here all week rather than farther uptown.

The room was a nice size and very clean. I loved the long desk since I was there for work and could really spread out. There were ample outlets for charging devices (you'd be surprised how difficult this can sometimes be in NYC hotels!), and the bed was so comfortable. I was also impressed with how quiet the room was, especially being in Manhattan. I slept like a baby and woke up feeling great.

The bathroom was also very nice and clean with the typical amenities.

I'd definitely recommend staying here, and wouldn't hesitate to do so again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you very much for your praise of Be Hotel and of our staff.

At times, the unexpected can be a very welcoming occurrence. I am glad that you were “pleasantly surprised” on your most recent visit to Be Hotel. It seems that we hit our marks when it came to space, comfort, cleanliness and outlet accessibility. (Being a traveler myself, I also understand the importance of outlets!) Our team works diligently to provide a clean environment for our guests and luckily we have a team that makes everyone feel welcomed.

When you decide to come back to NYC and stay for a week, I hope that you would utilize my information to secure your reservation. I can be reached via email at eaguilar@behotelnyc.com.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

After a week spent on Shelter Island just off Long Island we had a weekend to spend in the NY City before flying back to London.

Booked the BE a Hotel as a last minute choice and what a choice rooms very nice and views you would normally pay extra for.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Jonathan S
BeHotel_GM, General Manager at The Leon Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to write a few kind words about Be Hotel from your most recent trip to NYC.

I was pleased to read that we met your expectations on this last minute reservation and that you felt the room and views were “choice.” The views are amazing in my opinion and come standard with many of our room categories.

We look forward to your next visit and hope that we can see you again soon!

Warm Regards.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Hotel is very unassuming front door - do not let that fool you. Great view to the Manhattan bridge and right down the street from Chinatown/Little Italy and my favorite bar on earth, The Whiskey Tavern. Note - not sure about fitness center/pool so no comment there.

Room Tip: Try and face Manhattan Bridge (South Side)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Kyle H
BeHotel_GM, General Manager at The Leon Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to write about your most recent trip to Be Hotel.

We greatly appreciate the positive feedback on the hotel. You are correct that some of our rooms do have great views of the Manhattan Bridge. The front door comparison is very similar to who we are as a hotel. We are taking steps to further enhance our property but that will not deter us from always trying to provide TOP-NOTCH service.

Again, thank you for writing about Be Hotel it is genuinely appreciated. We hope that when you come back to NYC that you stay with us again. Should you decide to, please feel free to reach out to me directly at eaguilar@behotelnyc.com.

***While we are looking to make more enhancements, a swimming pool and fitness center are unfortunately not in those plans at this current time***