“Very Satisfied”
Review of Hotel Alexander

Hotel Alexander
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I recently stayed at the hotel for three months while my Manhattan apartment was being renovated. Let me put things in important perspective: the hotel cost less than half the price per night than at the Lincoln Center area YMCA. Let me repeat: half the price of a YMCA. I saw a photo of a room on the hotel's website which i thought way too nice to be a real photo. When i visited the hotel and looked at rooms i found rooms exactly like the photo. The one i occupied was luvly, newly renovated with a great king bed HD tv, small refrigerator and microwave, not huge but completely adequate, clean, comfortable and quiet. The hotel is situated on a quiet upper west side brownstone street, a two minute walk to the express Broadway subway line at 94th Street and one minute walk to Riverside Park. Great location. The management and support people starting with Evan, the manager, were all courteous, helpful and nice. I did not have one unpleasant exchange during three months of occupancy. Once a week the room was thoroughly cleaned and linens and towels replaced. There are shortcomings: there is one small elevator. It works but it certainly at times requires patience. The hotel wifi is very slow and i purchased mobile connectivity during my stay. And the lobby and hallways are not up to those of a high price hotel. But all in all i think it is an amazing value for the money. There is absolutely nothing on the upper west side of Manhattan as nice for the money by a country mile. It fit the bill perfectly for my needs and I heartily recommend it for anyone on a budget on a longer term stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank john f

Reviewed October 31, 2011

We picked this hotel to try to stay as central as possible while not paying through the nose or staying in an absolute hole. And it served its purpose pretty well. Shared bathroom was clean, good powerful shower. Ac in room a bit noisy at night but that was the main complaint, and the key point was it was a 5 min walk to the subway from which you could get downtown in 10-20 minutes on the fast train. Also very pleasant to be able to wander to Central Park. Overall would consider staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank SGeerdron
Reviewed October 31, 2011

1) The room does not agree with I booked.
2) Do not trust this Hotel's website said "no charges for early departures". I booked room for about two months. I departed 3 days early but hotel have not given me back the money for those 3 day early departures. I am going to go to my creditcard company to claim it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank leekqu
Reviewed October 7, 2011

I am currently staying at Hotel Alexander and I'm booked into a double queen bed room.

I am pretty happy with the hotel's location, service level and room quality. The location's splendid: the 96th street subway access is just 2 mins' walk away, and you can take the express 2 & 3 trains to Times Square in 15 mins. There are plenty of amenities within 2-5 mins' walk - pharmacies, convenience stores, supermarkets, cafes (including Starbucks), laudromarts, and restaurants.

The room I have is of decent quality. I love the modern furniture they use and the bathroom is as per the pictures you see on their website - very clean and modern. The bed's comfort is decent and the study desk and table are of good quality. There's LCD TV and wireless access in the room too. The only complaint I have though, is that there is no heater in the room. I've asked the front desk twice and apparently there have been plenty of complaints. Although New York is looking warmer this week, my room was cold as it faces the back (which is quieter than those street facing ones). So I had to get a portable heater from Bed, Bath & Beyond for $60, after having sleepless nights from the cold.

Other than the aircon issue the service quality is pretty good. Brittany reserved the room for me couple of weeks prior to my arrival and was responsive to my emails when I was overseas. I was checked in efficiently and the front desk is helpful. My parcels were duly received and I was informed too.

I would highly recommend Hotel Alexander to my anyone as long as they are not too particular about the upkeep of the common areas, but appreciates the room's quality and the hotel's accessibility.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Watamis
Reviewed July 27, 2011

You may stay a minimum of a month only. Warning: do NOT book for less than that.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank knowityes
Reviewed July 14, 2011

this hotel was perfect for what we needed it for, basically a place to sleep after long days sightseeing and meals out.

My boyfriend and I visited New York for my birthday during December and we wanted somewhere cheap but in a nice area and that is what we got. the Upper West Side is a lovely place to stay, it was so easy to get into Times Square via the subway and I felt completely safe.

The hotel itself was pretty basic, however it was clean and great value for money. there was no need for us to spend double the price on a lodger hotel that we were going to spend so little time in.

There have been negative comments on this website regarding the reception staff however I found them to be very helpful, calling us taxi's straight away and recommending places to eat, particularly a little diner round the corner for a typical American breakfast!!

My only complaint would be that the pipes in the room did wake us up at times but It didn't put us off and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

I recommend anyone to stay here, particularly young people, just don't expect luxury for the price you are paying.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We stayed again in the Alexander Hotel. After two years, I had the same opinion. The location is very good. There are many restaurants coffees and grocery stores near the hotel. Besides, the metro station is very near and convenient. We agree that the room is small, but it is clean and comfortable. Besides, the price is very reasonable. I recommend.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family