“Nothing Can Ruin The Broadway H & H Experience”

Broadway Hotel and Hostel
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I'll admit straight up, I'm a Broadway H & H fan. I love the place, the people, the price, the vibe, the location close to the 1,2,3 Subway.

We made our annual trek to NYC last month, settling in on a Wednesday night for a three night stay. Arriving around 3:30PM, I dropped the wife off at the door, then drove about three blocks before finding a free on-street parking spot. Parking all around the hotel (except on Broadway) is free.

We went out to Symphony Space (right down the street) for an evening show, then were getting ready for bed when... the wife saw a mouse skurry across the floor. Hey, we are tired, it was about 10°F outside, so give they little guy a break, let's turn in. Then we saw his brother poke its head out and sniff my shoe...

So a two count was too much, and I went down to the lobby. We were immediately relocated to a new room on the 7th floor that we enjoyed for the balance of our stay. The mice were less fortunate, as Mr. exterminator visited the next morning.

Anyhow, we will be back, the staff is great, from the doorman to the chambermaids, the common area downstairs is a great place to chill and meet new people, and the morning coffee is the best in the city as far as I'm concerned. Bring a book for the bookshelf, and exchange it for another to read.

As far as the little visitors, I don't blame them for trying to escape the cold...

Room Tip: WiFi only works in the lobby, ATT cell coverage is spotty.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TAFCRacer
There are newer reviews for Broadway Hotel and Hostel

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Terrible hostel, fully of noisy people, rude staff, very old furniture.
The whole month I was there the elevator was broken and we stayed on the 8th floor (you can imagine the torture every single night after the whole day walking through NYC).
We found a mouse in our room.
Share toilets are very old and the hot water never coma out of the rose.
Kitchen, fridge, living room were like a Armageddon place 2 minutes before clean stuff leave the place.
I could not get my money back, so I was forced to stay in this "rat house".

A complete nightmare.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank SaezMD
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Hotel was wonderful. Nice people, very clean and tidy. The location isn't near to all the hot spots but the neighborhood is lovely and you feel like a new yorker. Breakfast was not included but they had cheap options to take for it.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

This hotel have a good location,near to subway and central park.Price is salt.The rooms are ok,tine,just ok.Its a old building,have a small elevator.some guests made noise in the hallway in the night.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Nayane M
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week around Thanksgiving and it was very good value. Because there were no rooms of the kind we booked, we were upgraded to a king room. The staff were quite helpful. Not the most social of hostels that I've stayed in - this would be different if you stayed in a dorm, I guess.

Pretty good location - close to Central Park and to the Subway. Next time, I would probably stay a bit further downtown, but it was easily within walking distance of places like the Museum of Natural History and a bunch of cafes.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bethn981
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Arrived at Broadway hotel around 1800 we were greeted with someone to help us in through the door with our suitcases, which I didn't expect from a hostel. The reception area is very modern and clean. We checked in easily enough, we had the remainder of our hotel to pay for on check in, I would have liked to be able to pay by card but they would only accept cash.
The room was clean and tidy, and the shared bathrooms we clean too.
The TV in the room didn't work for our entire stay, we weren't too bothered, but it would have bee nice to have the TV on whilst getting ready in a morning and at night before bed. However at the end of our stay we were refunded money to cover this.
The downstairs facilities were very good, more plugs would be useful though as it gets very busy, and when one person is charging their phone, laptop, and ipod all at once there's not enough to go around.
The write up of the hotel says that there is a hair dryer in each room, however this isn't the case. There are so many kept at reception and they are all shared. So if you want to make sure you have one to use whenever you want then take one with you.
The hotel is very easy to find, and only 9 blocks away from a subway that takes you down town. The area around the hotel is good, there are a few restaurants in the vicinity, as well as fast food. I would definitely recommend Broadway Bagels across the road, they do the best hot chocolates I have ever had. Felt safe walking around late at night as well.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MrsLefty1010
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Overall a slightly above average and below very good stay.
First impressions weren't great. We arrived from Australia after a straight close to 24hrs flight and really wanted to just shower and crash. Instead they had problems with our room. Reception didn't get the dates right. My appreciation for their over friendly welcome slowly started to dwindle into impatience and frustration as we continued to wait for almost 30mins while they 'tried' sort the mess out. In the end we got put up in a nicer room which was nice but had to go through the hassle of checking out and back in again into our correct rooms the next morning.
Rooms - besides the first night which was a private room with shared bathroom we stayed in a 2 bed dorm. Sink in there which was handy but really only 2 lockers (good size) and 1 chair in there. Basics but again you pay for what you get. Air conditioning in the room was great as it was summer when we were there. Rooms were clean and a place to sleep which was fine.
Bathrooms - there were 2 around where our room was. One was great, newly renovated and the other was old and a face lift wouldn't go astray. I of course chose the former to shower in while I was there. Overall bathroom cleanliness was great. Cleaned daily.
Location - as mentioned in most reviews is close to the subway which was great. Safe around the area and a supermarket close which was handy. We ventured around the area and headed further upper west one night and came across some great bars, burger joints and restaurants.
Common area is also great. 2 separate areas and lots of bar tables to sit around and a tv on with movies for people to lounge and surf the internet. There's a microwave and fridge which was handy.
Overall as I said it was an above average stay. We stayed for 6 nights and whilst people say first impressions count and we didn't really have a great start, I didn't let it ruin my reflection of the place. Cheap and mostly cheerful!

• Stayed: September 2013