“Excellent location”

Broadway Hotel and Hostel
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed in the Broadway Hotel and Hostel for 11 nights, and found it to be very accommodating. The staff were very young and friendly, and very eager to help if we needed anything. Our room was cleaned very well every day, and although we didn't have a room with a bathroom, there was always an available bathroom when needed. The common area was nice and had wifi, which was great. The room had a nice tv and air conditioning, which was a life saver. There was a subway and lots of nice places to eat and buy groceries close by. Central park was also close enough to go for a walk in every evening. I'd definitely recommend this hostel, and the only negative thing I have to say is that the lift was incredibly slow.

Room Tip: No need to get room with a bathroom, as there was always one available when we needed it and we rare...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Maria C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,209)

Reviewed June 30, 2013

My son and I came to NYC to look at colleges and were lucky to get a room with 2 beds here. This is fantastic value for $$. Bagel place across street has good strong coffee, tasty 24-hour diner is around the corner. Hotel is right off Broadway, close to the subway, Columbia U, Central Park. Walls are painted vibrant cheerful colors, and pillows/artwork in rooms are also splashy/colorful. Someone took care with all the decor, it's a bit arty/funky/hipster. Our room had a sink which we appreciated and room was bigger than we expected with big window with lovely view of Broadway, some pre-war buildings, leafy trees. There was a slight incense smell in the air, which I loved & reminded me of hostels of my youth, not those awful plug ins and chemical smelling room deodorizers. (I'm very sensitive to smell).

Great roomy common rooms downstairs with books to borrow (my son read Londonstani while there), fridge, microwave, coffee facilities, computers, TV, fresh popcorn. Nice place to hang out and meet people or just chill. Hotel will also hold your bags all day after you check out for $2 a bag, which we took advantage of.

Room was very clean as was bathroom which was down the hall. There are at least 3 on the second floor where we stayed and we never had to wait. Plenty hot water. One shower I used did spray some water onto the floor, but not too bad, and I just put my clothes and towel in the opposite corner and all was fine. A/C was good (we stayed there in humid summer). Beds were not as firm/hard as I like but perfectly adequate, not saggy, lumpy. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Felt very safe and also quiet which we appreciated, both inside the hotel and outside on the street. Lots of young European and Asian clientele and backpacker types. This is both a hotel & a hostel so you can get private rooms or bunk bed communal ones. We had a 2-bed private room. For $150 (with all taxes&fees), this is an awesome deal in a great location.

Room Tip: If you want NYC ambiance/view, get a room on the outside of the hotel that overlooks the street.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank DMH-LA
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Went on a solo trip to NYC for 5 days/4 nights and needed a cheap place to stay. Having never been to the UWS, and this hotel was affordable, I went for it. Reading other reviews on here I had some trepidation but the most important factor was that it was clean, one of my big worries in *any* hotel.

The staff I encountered were very friendly. The room was comfortable for just me, and the shared bathrooms were indeed clean and cleaned very regularly.

The only concerns to point out: The doors in the hotel, at least on my floor, slam themselves and the staff, when cleaning or going through rooms, allow the doors to slam. At first I thought this was noisy guests until I realised it was routine rounds made by the staff. While it's comforting to know they are active, engaged, and cleaning, it's quite alarming to constantly hear slamming doors early in the morning & afternoons. I can only recommend to the hotel perhaps placing soft-closing mechanisms on such doors.

Across the street (103rd) there is some kind of pet hotel, pet hospital, something with animals, and there is significant noise from this building; and while that's not the hotel's fault, with the the AC units in the window, this allows significant noises to come in & affect one's sleep. I understand this isn't controllable by the hotel, however it is quite jarring to her animal screams (birds, etc) at 6am. I'm also a light sleeper and city noises took awhile to get used to. Broadway is also a busy road and a few blocks away there's a firehouse and some centre for police, and there is constant sirens to be heard.

All in all the hotel was a pleasant experience, and I'd likely consider staying here again. The room was very clean and constantly made when I returned to my room. Despite animal sounds and sirens, the neighbourhood is fantastic (I recommend Broadway Bagel across B'way) with options for shopping & eating, and 2 MTA stops nearby (103rd and 96th on the 1, 96th on the 2 & 3 trains).

My trepidation was put to rest when I arrived and they did a good job at accommodations. Bravo to Broadway Hotel & I would suggest you strongly consider this establishment.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Augiethegreat
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed at the Broadway Hotel and Hostel from 24 May to 30 June. We stayed in a queen size room with ensuite bathroom. The room and bathroom are small. Housekeeping did a great service, our room was made up every day and we got clean linen and towels. The staff at the hotel were really efficient and helpful. There were loads of restaurant options on Broadway. We had lovely pizza, a great lasagna and fantastic Mexican on the days we ate in the area. There were also 2 diners 3-4 blocks down. The metro runs from 103 street, the number 1 line takes you anywhere in Manhattan you would want to go and you can also catch red number 1. Stop and then hop onto another line with ease. I would recommend this stay and even stay again.

Room Tip: We did walk past the dorm bathrooms on our floor and must say there were not often busy and they wer...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Marta A
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed there for 7 nights. Locations is good for Manhattan as well as the price. It is almost impossible to find cheaper, nicer and better located rooms in Manhattan.
At the beginning I was not sure about not having a bathroom inside the room but the price was good enough to convince me.
The staff at the reception is very nice. They are always ther to help. They have computers (rental) to access internet but if it is something fast (like weather or news) they will check it for you for free. Lower level has free WiFi and it works fine, I even saw peaople using skype or similar services. Checking in is fast, even considering we had reservations from a third party web site. There is a 5 USD key deposit and you only get one key.
The room was exactly what we saw when booking. Two double beds. There was a sink inside the room. It helps a lot if you want to wash your face, hands or brush your teeth, that way you do not help to wait in the corridor. Towels are in the room.

Bathrooms are clean and they are continuosly beeing cleaned. In the bathrooms you will only find toilet paper and liquid soap for your hands, there are no paper towels or air dryers. They provide a small soap and a tiny bottle of shampoo. I advice to carry soap and shampoo if you will be there for more than a night.

The only problem with the bathroom is people. They get out of shower or tub (7th floor south tower has one shower one tub/shower) dripping and go to their rooms. You can see water footprints from bathroom to some rooms and of course the bathroom is all wet. They do not stay like that long, the hotel staff cleans several times but be prepared with some sandals and please, please dry yourself in the shower or tub.

The room was not big. There were two double beds, one right next to the wall and about 70 cm (27 in) between beds. We had no closet but there were space to hang some clothes. Room (725) had air conditioning and celing fan as well as a flat screen tv. Beds are a bit soft. I saw hotel staff fumigate the rooms after guest departure. Room had carpet and it was vaccummed every day.

Metro station is two blocks away and there is a pharmacy (with supermarket) open 24 h within a block.

Next to reception they have fridge and microwave in case you want to store or heat something.

Room Tip: Bathrooms are in the corridors, there are two per tower and you can cross the elevator area to reach...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank R0geli0
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We had a very bad experience in this hostel. We had not expected any kind of luxury, but our double room with shared badroom on the third floor (room 322 if I remember correctly) was disappointing. The paper basket still contained trash from the previous guests. The smell in the hallway was gross and it seemed to come from the room next to ours. The door to this room was half open most of the time and we saw that it was full of junk (which might explain the smell), old furniture and so on, and an old man who looked like a tramp seemed to live there.
We complained to the supervisor and were upgraded to an ensuite room on the second floor, but this did not help us forget the previous experience.
The funny thing is that the staff knew about this man living there and was aware that the situation was unacceptable. They actually apologized to us and gave us a new room as soon as they could, but still they did not explain why they had given us that room in the first place. Besides, we asked to make a formal complain and the supervisor promised she would let a complain form for us in our room, which she never did.
So now you know, if you get room 322, ask for an upgrade!

Room Tip: Avoid room 322!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank ro v
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We were exhausted when we got to the hotel and just wanted a comfortable room. Without us asking Maggie the amazing girl that she is upgraded us to a room with a private bathroom. We cannot praise her enough! Not only was she super nice and friendly, but she made our experience at broadway hotel that much better :)

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple