We were originally scheduled to stay at the HGI Chelsea for 5 nights but ended up staying 13 nights due to the volcanic ash fiasco and every day was a pleasure despite our lives being in total disarray. The staff could not have been more helpful sorting out extra nights with little notice and even new accommodation when it looked like we would have to move hotels (thankfully we managed to stay at the HGI throughout our extended stay).
The hotel is in a good location even if 28th Street on first pass looks to be a little away from the action. Macys (34th Street) was a mere 10 minures walk and Times Square barely 20 minutes. A slow stroll up to Central Park was an hour with plenty of window shopping. A taxi anywhere seemed to be no more that $10 with tip (best option with 4 of us and on par with the subway cost).
Round the corner on 7th Avenue there were plenty of places for quick take-out food and provisions, a good number of bars and places to eat but we ended up eating a little further afield most nights (see below). We had an acceptable breakfast most mornings at Charleston's Grill on 7the Ave between 29th and 30th Streets (about $7 each). We did not eat at the HGI but the breakfast looked good.
WiFi in the hotel was a little weak but useable and the business centre had two good PCs and printing facilities.
The rooms were a good size and very well cleaned each day. The fridge and microwave were useful. There was some street noise at the front on the 11th floor but it was acceptable.
All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our longer than expected stay at the HGI Chelsea and would definitely recommended the hotel.
Another big thanks to the staff for being so helpful.
Restaurant recommendations - Blue Smoke (E 27th), Havana Central (W 46th), Les Halles (411 Park Ave between 28th & 29th)), Five Napkin Burger (49th & 9th), John's Pizzeria (W 44th), Lombardi's (Spring Street at Mott Street, Little Italy). Enjoy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Delight in Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea - a modern Madison Square Garden hotel. Perfectly located in the city's Flower and very chic Chelsea district, the hotel is in the heart of it all. Just south of Times Square and convenient to Penn Station, Grand Central Station and all subway lines, this charming Chelsea hotel is central to the wonders of the city. Less than 0.5 miles to Jacob Javits Center Four blocks to Macy's Seven different subway lines within a short walking distance Three blocks to Madison Square Garden. Connect in Business at this Madison Square Garden Hotel. Corporate travelers enjoy an easy walk to many businesses and area corporations: Jacob Javits Convention Center, Fashion Institute of Technology, Flat Iron Building, Macy's, Fisher Price, Cisco Systems. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Garden Inn New York - Chelsea Hotel New York City
- Chelsea Hilton Garden Inn
- Hilton New York City
- Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea
- New York City Hilton