Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$318
$296
  • Room Service
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
$178
$170
  • Pool
The Lucerne Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$322
$219
  • Restaurant
Kimpton Muse Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$267
$247
  • Restaurant
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$201
$134
  • Restaurant
Stewart Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$179
  • Room Service
The Kimberly Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$279
$420
Hotelpower.com
  • Breakfast included
2,154 results
All reviewsflower districtpenn stationnew yorktimes squaremicrowave and fridgemadison square gardentwo queen bedshotel is locatedconvenient locationwould definitely stay here againbusiness centerempire state buildingfront desk stafffew blockscity viewthe high linestreet noise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is a practical place to stay, a fair deal, precisely pitched at the Garden Inn level, set apart by very good service in the tiny lobby, even when the stress level was pretty high.

The hotel itself is a sliver in what used to be an entirely industrial district, but now has a smattering of residential and hotels. (A Fairfield across the street, a Hyatt going up down the block.) It says Chelsea, but it ain't; it's a drive, not a walk to Chelsea Market and a stiff walk to the High Line. So it's not exactly hopping; for the tourist looking for the unusual, the antiques district is just a couple of blocks south; otherwise, it's kind of dead.

As for the rooms themselves, very recognizable if you stay in Garden Inns, which is the idea. The towels, soaps, and coffee are different from the Hilton Millenium that we had stayed in a couple of days before, but not really worse; the rooms are smaller, but not greatly so; the closet is a built-in. The only real irritations were the bed, which developed an odd depression in the middle where my wife and I both sleep and the elevators which were pretty dog slow, but nowhere near the nightmare that they were at the Millenium.

Is this the place to complain about baths in American hotels? Unless you stay in the Four Seasons, the baths are so small they barely cover you, your knees scrunch up, and you have to keep on replenishing because the stopper leaks. All I can say for the Garden Inn is that it was better (again) than the Millenium. Yes, I know, I know, I should take showers, but I have arthritis, and it would be really nice to be able to soak, so I keep on trying.

If you're smart, you can often park on the street near most New York hotels outside of midtown, but we couldn't find any place and had to park in the somewhat discounted garage down the street. This raises the price of the room by about 15%. But the garage itself was pretty good, with rapid service, and a real willingness to go the extra mile for us when my daughter forgot her book in the car and we wanted to retrieve it.

Did I mention the service? Oh, I did. Well, silly us, my wife wanted to see a movie, so she sent my daughter back to the hotel to grab the stuff and load up the car, but didn't bother to give us the baggage checks or the car check. She took pictures of them and texted them to me, and the people in both the hotel and the car park really behaved reasonably, showing an appropriate amount of caution, but giving us out stuff. The bellman was particularly helpful.

Room Tip: The rooms are small, for sure. I'm not sure it's worth paying for a high room; the traffic noise is really confined to business hours.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear Ferlinfhetti,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you had a great experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea. We find our location and room amenities to be very convenient for our guests. Our employees do a great job of welcoming and taking good care of our guests as well. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Nice location - just a few blocks away from MSG on a quiet side street. We had a very small room for 4 adults, but for one night it's doable. There is construction going on in the area and our lower level room had the window blocked by scaffolding so you may want to request a higher floor in order to avoid that. All in all not a bad hotel. That being said, I was surprised about the lack of security in the hotel. We were able to enter the hotel through the main doors at 3:30 a.m. without using our room card as security and there was no one at the front desk nor was there a security guard anywhere to be seen. For that reason alone, I would think twice about staying here again.

1  Thank 827lindam827
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Linda M,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay. We take these reviews very seriously and appreciate the comment regarding your overall stay .We are pleased that overall you found your stay acceptable. I certainly appreciate your security observations and regret if you felt in any way unsafe. The security of our guests is extremely important to us. Our property does have a security guard whom observes and operates our surveillance cameras 24/7 to ensure the safety of our guest.
Thank you for staying with us, and we hope you will be our guest again in the future. We will do everything we can to ensure your safety at our property and that all your requests are met.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

convenient location considering the price near from Penn station and Korea town Kind people and relatively busy space Free wifi-not so fast, you can read the newspaper No free blackfast There is some abnormal smell.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Jeehun L,

Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location and hotel amenities convenient. Thank you again for your kind words, and we are looking forward to see you during your next visit to New York!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

The front office staff and management were very accommodating to our family of three boys who at some times were a handful. They worked to keep us on the same floor. I wish the hotel did have some adjoining rooms for situations like this as I felt we were bad guests with kids running between rooms to others guests in their rooms. You could not have asked for a nicer staff and it was truly one of the nicest stays that we have had in New York City, especially during the crazy holiday season. Thank you all very much. This was a very well run property and I stay in many hotels all year long.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear David K,

Thanks so much for the very nice review of your stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! You and every other guest of ours are very important to us. The entire staff works very hard to exceed the expectations of every guest. Thank you for making us your hotel of choice, and we look forward to seeing you next time you are in New York

Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here the week before Christmas with my parents (two senior citizens).

The hotel is excellently situated with multiple metro lines and major attractions (along with restaurants) nearby. I booked a room with two queen beds and was pleasantly surprised to see it came with a Keurig coffee machine as well as a minifridge. Room size is decent by Manhattan standards and very clean. The only downside is West 28th itself, specifically the section between 6th and 7th Avenue. It is full of wholesale businesses and the street has alot of trash bags.

Pros
+ Free cookies and cider until mid evening.
+ Free coffee in the morning.
+ One block from 1, N, and R metro lines.
+ Four blocks from Penn Station.
+ Close to major attractions. Very walkable.
+ Located on a quieter street, so no traffic noise at night.
+ Coffee machine, fridge, desk, wardrobe in room.
+ Decent room sizes for Manhattan.

Cons
+ Immediate surroundings are dirty. Trash bags on West 28th.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Bigcrank,

Thanks so much for the very nice review of your stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location pleasing. Our staff does a wonderful job assisting guests and offering personal attention. Thank you for making us your hotel of choice, and we look forward to seeing you next time you are in New York!