We selected this hotel over several other Hilton's / Hampton Inn's in the Midtown area. Overall, we were very pleased. The hotel is very new. The rooms are a little small, but very nicely furnished. Staff was very attentive and friendly.
By far the best thing about this hotel is the great location. There is a subway station on the same block (7th avenue line (1)). You can walk two blocks east to get on the Broadway line (N,R,W), and you can walk about 3 blocks north to get on the 6th avenue lines at Penn Station (B,D,F,V, PATH). You can be anywhere in Manhattan in about 20 -30 minutes. Also, the 34th street shopping area (Macy's) is very close, and Time's Square is a short 14 block walk up 7th avenue.
A few considerations.
1. Breakfast is $14.95, compare to free at Hampton Inns. We went to the Whole Foods down 7th avenue to stock up a breakfast items. There are refrigerators and microwaves in the room.
2. No on-site laundry. In these days of carry-ons, it would be nice to have.
3. The restuarant choices in the immediate area (2-3 blocks) are somwhat limited. There are a couple of bar / grills on 7th avenue. Mustang Sally's was quiet tasty, although a little noisy. There are at least two other hotels currently being built on the same block, so maybe the restaurants will soon follow.
4. 28th street is pretty quiet at night. During the day, the sidewalk is overrun by flowers and plants from all of the wholesale flower ships. This makes the street nice and lively, but a little hard to walk down.
5. There are only 2 elevators for 23 floors, so the wait for an elevator can be a few minutes.
6. This hotel is so new that our cab driver from LGA didn't even know where it was. Make sure you have the address (28th between 6th and 7th).
I would stay here again if in Manhattan.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Delight in Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea - a modern Madison Square Garden hotel. Perfectly located in the city's Flower and very chic Chelsea district, the hotel is in the heart of it all. Just south of Times Square and convenient to Penn Station, Grand Central Station and all subway lines, this charming Chelsea hotel is central to the wonders of the city. Less than 0.5 miles to Jacob Javits Center Four blocks to Macy's Seven different subway lines within a short walking distance Three blocks to Madison Square Garden. Connect in Business at this Madison Square Garden Hotel. Corporate travelers enjoy an easy walk to many businesses and area corporations: Jacob Javits Convention Center, Fashion Institute of Technology, Flat Iron Building, Macy's, Fisher Price, Cisco Systems. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Garden Inn New York - Chelsea Hotel New York City
- Chelsea Hilton Garden Inn
- Hilton New York City
- Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea
- New York City Hilton