“Gem in Chelsea”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea
Ranked #206 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel was quite a find. The room was generous by NYC standards. The staff at the hotel was amazing. I would not hesitate staying here again nor recommending to friends and family. I did have Diamond coupons so I enjoyed the breakfast served although I doubt that I would have bough it had I not had the coupons.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
1  Thank Jim B
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Jim B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location and hotel rooms convenient. Thank you for making us your hotel of choice, and we look forward to seeing you next time you are in New York!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,119)

Reviewed September 27, 2013

The hotel that I typically stay at when in NY was booked and I was able to find a room here. When I arrived the area wasn't quite what I expected (construction nearby and not as close to my client as I thought) but boy , o boy would was I pleasantly surprised. The staff was absolutely incredible. Extra friendly, helpful and I felt so safe and completely welcomed. I travel a lot and stay at a lot of places. The customer service that I received here is so much better than what I've grown to expect. Overall experience was awesome. Housekeeping staff did a great job, even changing the sheets mid week. When I realized that some of the other hotels were not in that practice I began requesting double beds so that I can have clean sheet options-lol. On any note, a fabulous stay and I have officially made this my hotel of choice when I'm in NYC on business.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
1  Thank danette03
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Danette03,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you had a great experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea. We find our location and room amenities to be very convenient for our guests. Our employees do a great job of welcoming and taking good care of our guests as well. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

The Hilton Garden brand is upheld at this property. The stff are highlight, they welcome you back at every entrance. This hotel is a narrow Manhattan style hotel, rooms are very well appointed with fridge, microwave and plenty of storage. Comfortable , very clean, and spacious by NYC standards, tons of tv channels on a decent sized HDTV. Desk work area, latge bathrooms. Its all good at this facility. Breakfast in lobby restaurant, plus evening bar service. 2 elevators and the wait is never long.The only detractor is the immediate neighborhood which I believe is the flower district, become a ghost town by night although 7th avenue is only 1 minute on foot away with lots of dining and shopping options. Tons of shopping options on the west side and major attractions walking distance uptown. Subway service on the corner. The only reason I lowered value was the UN was in town and the rooms were $500 but then again , they all were. This hotel is a $300 all in tops. All in all an excellent NYC choice for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: higher up gets you less street noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank CD R

Dear CDR,

Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location and hotel amenities convenient. We also agree that our location is ideal and located on a beautiful street lined with fresh flowers each day. Our staff does a great job of welcoming and offering personal attention to each guest,Thank you again for your kind words, and we are looking forward to see you during your next visit to New York!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I put up at this hotel recently, holidaying from Down Under. We took an upper floor room with a city view and were rather pleased with the stay. The room was decent in size with a warm colour theme. The upper floor view through the window eliminated any sense of being cramped. Good bathroom and essential toiletries. Okay-ish bed linen (no bed bugs that some other travellers had written about in the past). The fridge and microwave have sufficient space. Friendly desk staff and bell. We even had a surprise check of the room by the hotel manager who personally took care of some shortcomings, even though they were minor - like changing the light bulbs to get a more diffused look and fixing the pulley on one set of venetians. They have these little gestures like good coffee and tea in the lobby in the morning, refreshing lemon water all through the day and cookies in the evening. But the main thing we liked was location. Times Square, Penn Station, Broadway and even Central Park are walking distance. Several good restaurants close by, as well as grocery stores and cafes. Subway station in the same block, bus stops on either end of the street. The only downside is the street itself which has some messy stretches, but one can ignore that.

Room Tip: Upper floors keep you away from street noise. They also give you a good view, more so, if you take a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear DarkangelD,

Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review about your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location convenient. We also agree that our location is ideal and located on a beautiful street lined with fresh, seasonal flowers each day. Our staff does a great job of welcoming and offering personal attention to each guest. Thank you again for your kind words, and we are looking forward to seeing you during your next visit to New York!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

The hotel is small by big city standards. We enjoyed the location on 128th Street which is the heart of the wholesale flower district. Every day the sidewalk was lined with tropical plants and blooming flowers. However, as others have mentioned, this was also a source of early morning noise but it's NYC after all. I once stayed in a hotel across the street from the Fulton Fish Market - now that was noisy! At this location, the building next door was being gutted and rehabbed and the construction workers also started rather early in the AM.The hotel staff, including the doormen, desk clerks and servers and cooks in the restaurant were all very friendly and accommodating. The room was nothing special but the beds were comfortable and the bathroom was clean. We really enjoyed our 6-night stay.

Room Tip: A room on an upper level would probably help with the noise issue.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear UWH,

Reviewed September 21, 2013

This hotel is an easy walk from Times Square, but isn't subject to the hustle and bustle of that area. It's 'off the beaten path' - but not so far out of the way that it's inconvenient. The area is not the most picturesque---- but it's not far from the 'touristy sections." I actually enjoyed walking all over the place -- to a Broadway Show in the afternoon and then over to the Meatpacking District for an evening event. The staff is very pleasant and extremely helpful. There is always someone at the front desk; greeting you as you come and go. The hotel is clean and the room was fairly good sized for a NYC Hotel. I didn't eat breakfast at the hotel or have a drink at the bar - but both are available and it looked very welcoming.
My room was on the 20th floor - it was very quiet. The view was not spectacular, but I don't stay in hotels for the view. The hotel excelled in all the areas I needed -- clean room, hot shower, comfy bed, secure.... Didn't need anything more than that!
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear CGhayward,

Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location and hotel amenities convenient. We also agree that our location is ideal and located on a beautiful street lined with fresh flowers each day. Our staff does a great job of welcoming and offering personal attention to each guest. Thank you again for your kind words, and we are looking forward to see you during your next visit to New York!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

The hotel had a convenient location. Service was very good. Rooms are spacious by NYC standards. Very clean and well kept. However, it has one detriment that makes it a difficult stay. Very noisy in the early morning – 3:00 am to 5:00 am. We travel extensively and I recognize that you will have street noise at almost any hotel in NYC. However this was intolerable. Not sure what exactly was going on (we stayed 5 nights) but loud banging, large truck noise, workers hollering directions, etc. would wake up most anyone. We had requested a quiet room and we were on the 15th floor. I think the main issue is that the rooms are not very well insulated. As another example, the phone ringing in the next room sounded like it was in our room. Bring ear plugs if you stay here!

Room Tip: Highest room possible (20th + floor) and back of hotel, off the street side.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TerramarBeach
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear TerramarBeach,

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking time out to write a review.
Your comfort is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the disruptive street noise. Would we have known about the street noise you were experiencing, we would have been more than happy to move you to the back of the hotel which is a bit quieter.

We thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again in the near future.