“Stayed again, still loved it!”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea
Ranked #211 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Memphis, Tennessee
“Stayed again, still loved it!”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have stayed here once before, and really enjoyed my visit. I returned in January 2013 for business, and stayed one night. Again, this hotel shines in the service department.

You aren't going to be blown away by the street that it is on (surrounded by operating flower shops and Asian food stores), although you are only a few blocks from all the sites you want to visit. The hotel itself doesn't have a grand lobby or fancy world-famous restaurant attached. You aren't going to be able to do backflips or run laps in your room, and you won't have a four-star spa to visit. However...

You ARE going to be blown away by the welcoming staff and great customer service. Every single person working at this hotel has the same friendly demeanor, and offer great, quick results. They work to do everything to make your stay perfect, and if something goes wrong, they are apologetic and quick to correct it. Amazing.

You will also love being able to walk half a block to the Number 1 subway (7th street local). This line connects to just about every other line, so make sure you get your MTA card! You are also not too far from a PATH train line.

You will like the nicely priced rooms (especially for Manhattan standards) and clean surroundings. I sleep very well in this hotel, and have never had issues with construction noise, although admittedly I do wake up extremely early when I travel on business.

You will have plenty to eat! The attached restaurant is GREAT for breakfast, and has a fair price. I like being able to just come down to the lobby to eat before heading out for the day. They have hot and cold options, so there are lots of different ways to get ready to face the day. The bar is also a nice place to have a drink if you're playing it low-key. They also had Hot apple cider in the lobby!

All in all, I will continue to stay here when I visit New York, and suggest it to anyone else traveling to the city. My only reservation in recommending this hotel is that it might become so popular that I can't get a room when I want to stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us! Our staff works diligently to bring personal attention to every guest interaction and making sure everything is spotless. We are happy to hear our location was convenient for your many adventures as well. It is nice that we are so close to major attractions, but yet our guests are able to escape large crowds and a lot of noise. Thank you again for your kind words, and we are looking forward to seeing you during your next visit to New York!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Beautiful hotel, in a nice location. Lots of reviews regarding the overall feel of the hotel, no need to say more.

My huge problem with this hotel comes from their ludicrous billing procedure, and appalling customer service (once you've left the hotel!). My 5 night stay came to $1560. Imagine my shock when I checked my bank balance, only to see over $3600 had left my account! The reason? Well, it seems that this particular hotel has not got the hang of returning pre-authorised transactions, (used as security when you check in), before they actually bill you at check out - meaning that the poor unsuspecting guest is left with a huge hole in their bank balance until the money eventually finds its way back to your account. Worse still if your not from the USA.

Whats more frustrating, is that I've always assumed the Hilton to be a beacon of good customer service. I mean, you're paying for it? This is where this particular hotel now proudly sits ranked bottom of every hotel I've stayed in.

When I first got home and saw my balance...of course the first reaction is "oh its mistake somewhere, I'll ring the bank" The bank told me why my balance was so low, and suggested i contact the hotel as they could still cancel the pre-authorised transactions and the money would be back in my account in no time. What did the hotel say? "No, we haven't charged you twice, the error must be with your bank" It was not the fault of my bank.... In the end, there must have been twenty emails to the hotel, calls to customer service and many to the bank. In the end it took 19 days for my £1200 to get back to me, and left me without cash over Christmas. I even got the phone number of the department at the bank that Terry Chin, the hotel manager, needed to ring. But he couldn't be bothered. They have yet to even acknowledge that the transactions took place, let alone an apology or compensating me for the extra cost and inconvenience they caused. I had to investigate the whole thing myself, as at first you assume the hotel are telling the truth....when I got to the bottom of what really happened, and what the Hilton could do to ensure this doesn't happen to anyone else, I emailed again. Terry Chin's response? complete silence!

I would recommend Hilton and Garden Inns to anybody.....just stay well clear of this one unless you have a good relationship with your bank manager.

Room Tip: City view rooms on the high floors are great
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Shaun C
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Shaun C.,

Please accept our sincere apology for the incident. As with all of our guest, we do call the bank and help in anyway we can. Not sure what happened. We understand your frustration and assure you, we have shared your experience with our team in an effort to help prevent similar issues in the future. If I may be of any additional assistance or if you would like to discuss the incident further, please feel free to contact me directly.

Regards,

Silvio Zinnanti
Assistant General Manager
212-564-2181
silvio.zinnanti@hilton.com
Smithtown, New York
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I was very satisfied and the staff was wonderful, especially the breakfast servers. The breakfast package is well worth the extra $20 paid for the room for 4 people. There was construction noise outside very early which is not the hotels fault. When we checked in there were a lot of airport delays that morning so people did not check out on time, which caused us not to be able to check in at 3:00pm. We had a lot of luggage and had to leave it with the front desk. The hotel is very clean and convenient to Herald Square, Penn Station and all subways. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location convenient and breakfast ideal. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to the team memebers who work in the morning! . I apologize the room was not immediately available at check in, but I hope the front desk staff was able to quickly accommodate you. Thank you for making us your hotel of choice, and we look forward to seeing you next time you are in New York!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Every single staff member I interacted with, bellman, front desk, security, servers, etc. were friendly, helpful and welcoming. The location is half block to 7th Street subway local and easy walking distance to 34th street where you can get almost any subway line. Walking distance to Penn Station, Madison Square Garden, Macy's, Fashion District and many, many bars, coffee shops and places to eat. Rooms are smaller than typical Hilton Garden Inns, but as I would expect for a NYC hotel and are very well laid out. Despite a sign explaining how to use TV, it still took me a good 10 minutes to figure out! Free wifi if you are Hilton HHonors Gold or Diamond or an AT&T customer. Wifi is slow and disconnects often. Only two elevators for 24 floors (and no freight so housekeeping uses too), but not too awful. Rooms can be a little noisey from both outside and neighboring rooms, but not bad. Breakfast buffet is very nice, I got for free at HHonors Diamond perk, not sure I would pay $18 for it. Lowest price Hilton-family property in Manhatten for the dates of my stay; less than Hampton Inn and much nicer. Absolutely would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Frequent001
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our team members friendly and our location convenient. We also agree that both our location and value are ideal. I apologize you were faced with elevator checkout "rush hour." Unfortunately, we have a limited number of elevators due to the size of our hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
South Africa
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We arrived at the hotel early Sunday morning (23 December 2012) -the porters were extremely helpful and welcoming and took our bags as soon as we got off the shuttle.
We could not check in as we were very early, but our bags were kept safely in the hotel.
Terry Chin the manager is extremely efficient and very friendly - because it was our honeymoon, he had arranged for flowers in our room and even gave us a complimentary breakfast.
The room is quaint and has all the amenities one would need ie, hairdryer, iron with a mini ironing board - the coffee station, fridge and microwave is definitely a plus for a New York hotel.
The pantry at reception had a variety of food and snacks.
The housekeepers always did an excellent job with cleaning our rooms and the heating in the room was just right.
The breakfast is nice but with the rand / dollar exchange, it was a tad bit expensive for us - but there is a nice selection of cereals, fruit, yogurt, danishes and the chef makes lovely omlettes.
Walking distance to Macy's, Times Square, Penn Station, Madision Square Garden and other attractions.Close to subways.
All in all - this is New York and one does not go there to stay indoors - this hotel provided everything we needed for a relaxed stay.
Thanks to Terry and the team

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Experience_Editor
Congratulations on your recent marriage, and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to accommodate you during your honeymoon! Terry and the entire staff do a fantastic job of welcoming and taking good care of our guests. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to everyone. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location and hotel room amenities convenient. Thank you again for your kind words, and we hope to see you during your next visit to New York!
Mantua, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was a great hotel for the price that we paid for our girl's night out. The room was very small but then again we only needed it for the necessities: showering, changing clothes to go back out, and sleeping. Honestly...you are in NY. You should be out enjoying the city, not sitting in your room. Even on a rainy day. The street is a neighborhood like street with many floral/greenery businesses. Short walk from Penn Station and close to many coffee access points. (VERY IMPORTANT!) The only down side is that the concierge had no clue about the local restaurants, nor was he able to make any contribution as to what other things we could do for fun. Good thing we had Smartphones with the "places" app. :-) Front desk staff and greeter were fabulous. Great stay for the price that we paid. Signing off...Back in a Mantua Minute.

Room Tip: Unless you are traveling as a couple, I would recommend getting 2 double beds. If you are traveling...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We also agree that our location is ideal and located on a beautiful street lined with seasonal fresh flowers each day. I apologize the concierge was not helpful. We will be sure to address this issue. I am happy to hear the other staff members were accommodating and friendly. Thank you again for your kind words, and we hope to see you during your next visit to New York!
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

If your ok with small everything than you'll be ok with this hotel. Budget feel. Very small rooms. Not a great street.
It's not up to full Hilton standards.
Feels like a backpackers hostel Well maybe a bit better.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank pgblack
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear pgblack,

Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your thoughts about our hotel. However, we feel that our hotel has a lot to offer including nice size rooms bigger than most hotels in New York City and we are also close to all shopping and entertainment.
The Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea also offers a great restaurant for our guests to enjoy a delicious cook to order breakfast and bar to relax in the evenings.

We are a Hilton Hotel and we provide all the Hilton amenities for our brand the Hilton Garden Inn.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and hope you think of us on your next visit to our city.