“Convenient, clean, affordable”

Ranked #213 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Asheville, North Carolina
“Convenient, clean, affordable”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

On my monthly business trip to Manhattan, I generally stay at one of the small hotels within easy walking distance of company headquarters on Park Avenue South. In deference to my T&E budget, I always ask the travel agent to check prices at several hotels in the area. I hadn't stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Chelsea before, as there has always been a less expensive alternative, but this time I got a very good rate for a Sunday-Monday stay. Good room, with two queen beds, a small fridge and microwave, a good-sized armoire, and a desk large enough to be useful and equipped with a good chair. The hotel was clean, the staff was very helpful and friendly, the business center had two computers and printers, the mattress was adjustable for firmness, and the Wi-Fi was fast and free. I was very pleased, and hope to find competitive room rates here in the future. I'll certainly always ask the agent to check.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeff S
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad you found our location and room amenities to be very convenient. We agree with you that our value is ideal. Our staff does a wonderful job making sure our rooms are very clean and well maintained. Thank you again for your great review, and we hope to see you during your next visit to New York!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Close to everything or easy to get to everything and located in the flower district so the shops put out the plants and flowers on the street which make it very pretty. Rooms a small like all NYC rooms but really there is enough room. We had two queen beds a table, microwave, small fridge and coffee maker(they always have fresh coffee downstairs). Room 1508 was fine, comfy and housekeeping did a great job cleaning up after us messy ladies. Really did not hear street noise too much and I sleep light. Close to subways and really a central mid town location. We were able to get everywhere quickly and the foot traffic is not as crazy as other parts of Manhattan. People coming from other areas that do not understand NYC space limits will not be happy but really the space if fine. Front desk is awesome with check in/out, directions, getting taxi, giving info. TV was fine (but who is there to watch-we only turned it on once happily exhausted from our days in the city). Breakfast is great and the cook and wait staff very pleasant. I got the trip advisor rate and breakfast was included. Saved me $30-40/day for breakfast outside the hotel. The bell staff was helpful and each time we returned to the hotel we got a "welcome back." I am a frequent traveler and really cannot say enough about how pleasant our stay was at this hotel. These hardworking folks made us feel special. Someone gave them some excellent customer service training. Thanks HGI staff for helping make our NYC trip so pleasant. The manager told me they are soon to remodel the lobby. As a HH member usually stay at Embassy Suites- but if all HGI are like this-I am adding to my list of where to stay. So stay here-but realize this is NYC-crowded, crazy, sometimes dirty-you just have to know what to expect. This is a great place to visit. Will stay here next time I return. We were there Oct 19-22.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank YosemiteTraveler603
Thank you for the wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us! Our staff works diligently to bring personal attention to every guest interaction, and we are pleased you received that attention. We are happy to hear our location was convenient for your many adventures as well. It is nice that we are so close to major attractions, but yet our guests are able to escape large crowds and a lot of noise. We also agree that our location is ideal and located on a beautiful street lined with fresh flowers each day. I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to the chefs and Front Desk Staff. Thank you for staying with us, and we are looking forward to seeing you during your next visit to New York!
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

arrived from uk and offered cookies at reception...nice, room was on 2nd floor overlooking outside bar and had booked an up-grade to higher level, though they say they had not recived it, they did offer us a room on 8th floor which suited us, though still a lot of street noise early hours.
apart from that this hotel suited our needs, was close to everywhere we wanted to go, and because of jet-lag was up early doors and we were the first up the empire state building 5mins walk away, so no ques ;-)

Room Tip: higher level recommended due to garbage lorry noise!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SheffieldScotsgirl
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay. We appreciate the positive comment regarding our great location and delicious afternoon cookies. We apologize that you did not receive the high floor you requested. We try very hard to ensure each guest gets the room request and are sorry we were unable to meet your needs. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope you will be our guest again in the future. We will do everything we can to ensure all your requests are met.
Dunedin, Florida
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Location, Location, Location! 5 minute walk to Macy's and 20 minutes from Times Square. Subway is close and good restaurants close too. Hill Country BBQ is one that we walked to.

The value for money is good. It's typical small size for Manhatten so don't be shocked for the cramped quarters. The beds were great and full cable tv too.

I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank doubleboo
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you had a great experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea. We agree that our central location and short distance from the subway lines extrememely convenient for our guests. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This property may seem moderately close to the points of interest, but it is not. There is constant noise(noise that sound like dump trucks), especially in the early mornings. The rooms were painfully small. My college dorm room was larger by a country mile! The beds are usually comfortable at most HGI's, but I think these are quite worn and need replacement. This property has the WORST TV's I have encountered in my travels! They use a X-large cable box that has a 3-4 second delay! So when pressing channel 208(example), the TV will first recognize channel 2, then the delay kicks in as it goes on to 08! UGGGGHHHH!!!! It will take 5 attempts to watch a single channel!!! The remote has 80 buttons(slight exaggeration and yes, I am very tech savvy) with no sleep button. (Dear Hilton, since some of your locations are treating TV's like rocket science, here is the formula you should use for the future: nice HDTV's that DO NOT blast the volume when you first turn it on, channel changing without annoying delays, and a simple remote with a SLEEP button). It is that simple.

The one positive is that the breakfast here was surprisingly good and the servers were very warm and friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 365travelNYC
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear 365travelNYC,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us while visiting Chelsea. I am sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. I apologize for the issue with the television in your room. We are currently working with a vendor to update our electronics so as to avoid this inconvenience in the future. As far as the bedding, our beds have been recently replaced with the GSS system which can be controlled by making the bed softer or firmer. If you return to our area, I hope you will consider staying with us again and experiencing our new tech forward amenities.

Regards

Silvio Zinnanti
puerto rico
Reviewed October 14, 2012

New york is known for the grumpiness of its people, with so many tourists wandering around no wonder, I wuld be in a badd mood too. But I've found a small, well situated hotel, where they remember me, they help in every way they can, and it is very clean too. as I'm hilton honnors breakfast is included. The hotel is not far away from empire state and macys and conveniently located between 6 and 7th avenues where various subway stations are loacted. what more to ask in new york freindly staff, clean, convenient location and great price! when I come to NY I always come to this hotel. This is not a huge fancy hotel but I still love it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank momplansvacations
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea and for being a Hilton Honors member! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location convenient and hotel rooms clean. The entire staff works very hard to exceed the expectations of every guest. Thank you for making us your hotel of choice! We are looking forward to see you during your next visit to New York!
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Had the pleasure of staying here this past weekend, and not being a big fan of NYC truth be told, I was not expecting much. I knew from the moment I walked through the doors that I was going to have to eat those words. Checking in was delayed (it was 3pm what do you expect) but the person working behind the desk (Natasha) kept calm and cool. She was a pro, personality plus would be my description. The room was clean and suprisingly quiet. That I did not expect. I had breakfast each morning. I had an omelet Saturday that was awesome, Sunday morning I was still feeling the effects from the wedding the night before so cereal and a bagel was all I could muster. I wish I could remember the 2 ladies working, they were great also. There really is no negatives to this hotel. Anyone traveling by train, this is the place to go, 3 blocks from Penn Station.

To sum up, I had a wonderful experience and would recommend this hotel to everyone I know.

Room Tip: Great hotel if traveling by train
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael L
Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel clean and quiet. Our staff does a great job of welcoming and offering personal attention to each guest. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to Natasha and the ladies in the restaurant. We agree with you that our breakfast is delicious thanks to our great chefs. Thank you again for your great review, and we hope to see you during your next visit to New York!