“Good choice for Hotel”

Ranked #220 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“Good choice for Hotel”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel was very clean and the rooms fairly comfortable. The price was good. I waited until the week before the trip and the price dropped so I booked then. 204/night Fri and 234/night Sat 2 queen, cty view, no-smo, included breakfast. The breakfast was a great start to the day with omelets and waffles to keep up going until whenever we wanted a late lunch. My only complaint is that the airconditioner in the room is a little noisy and I had a hard time falling asleep the first night of our stay, but that is usually the case anyway with traveling. It is near the subway and walking distance (very close) to Penn Station. We walked to Times Square up Broadway on our first night and had a lovely time visiting Bryant Park on the way. Took the subway back. Do not get tix from the concierge for museum visits. The prices are suggested so you can pay what you want when you get there.

Room Tip: Higher floor, city view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location ideal for your many adventures! I'm so sorry you were faced with air conditioner noise your first night. I apologize you did not get a good night sleep. I'm happy to hear that your morning was better after a delicious breakfast though. Our chefs are fantastic! Thank you again for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 23, 2012

NIce staff, especially the gentlemen working the front of hotel at curb. Always said hello. Good rate and room was clean. But air con was either too cold or needed to be shut off. One day maid service didnt come until we came back to room at 4 and wanted to rest so that was bit awkward and surprising. Only bad news was street noise. People really like to blow thier horns in NYC. Two of four night stay was awoken at 2 AM by loud truck air horns honking. So maybe try for higher floor in back if possible. Also several block walk to a good place where you can get a reasonable breakfast (Brooklyn Bagel). Again covers the basics but if you want a special nice occasion hotel,might be a bit underwhelmed. Yet again if you can swing for under $200 probably worth it.

Room Tip: As far from street as possible. Maybe also leave air con on at night and bundle up with extra blank...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay. Our staff does a wonderful job welcoming our guests and making sure everything is spotless. I'm sorry you were woken up to NYC noises. It's definitely the city that never sleeps. Depending on our occupancy, our housekeepers work everyday until 5-5:30 to ensure every guest room is serviced. I apologize they interrupted you during working hours. I hope you weren't faced with this inconvenience throughout the rest of your stay. Thank you for staying with us. We hope you will be our guest again in the future, so we have to opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Reviewed September 23, 2012

A nice well located, well furnished, clean place with a surprisingly friendly and helful staff -- what more can you ask for. Our room was on the 20th floor with windows facing away from street noises so it was quieter than one would expect of the Big Apple. The negatives, small room with a very small closet, and a "city view" of rooftops, were of no signficance considering that we did not come to NY to stay in our room, and considering the reasonable price tag. It was a very good experience and we would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thanks so much for the review of your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! Our entire staff makes every effort to accommodate our guests and make them feel welcome. I'm sorry you found our rooms small. We actually have "larger" rooms than most hotels in our area. We are happy to hear our location was convenient for you though. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed here for two nights and the first morning I was woken up at 7:13 by construction next door that I thought was coming through my wall. I called to the rude desk clerk and she said there is no construction noise. I said come up to my room! I gave two stars because it was clean enough and some of the doormen were nice enough. Then they out a hold on my credit card for incidentals ,which there wasn't anything to have anyway , no room service ,only frozen food sold is the lobby shop for microwave . When I questioned the charge he said it will be released in a few days ,even though I checked out at noon Friday . I would not recommend staying here and the lobby could use a facelift the chairs were very ragged on the arms and dirty as can be. I felt like I was crawling and couldn't wait to take a shower. Also they were very overpriced from Wednesday $459 - $189 on Friday really??

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Cheryl M
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Cheryl M,

Thank you for staying with us and writing a review on your experience. We do acknowledge that there is construction going on next door and at times could be a bit of noise. However, the noise is intermittent and not for a very long time. We apologize for any inconveniences that the construction might have caused. We do take approval on credit cards and the funds are released upon check out. Regarding our lobby, we are in the final stages of drawings for a renovation and by year end; we will have a new and beautiful lobby along with a gorgeous restaurant.

We thank you so much for choosing us as your home away form home and hope you give us an opportunity to welcome you back to our property.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, I can be reached at szinnanti@alliancehospitality.com
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I was a little hesitant when I made my reservation after reading some of the hotel reveiws, but I must say I was really impressed with this hotel. My family and I flew in from Ft. Lauderdale on August 5, 2012 (we stayed 4 days) and arrived at the hotel hours early. I was afraid there would not be a room available, but we were checked in with no problem. We paid extra for a room with a veiw and we were put in a room with a beautiful view of the Empire State Building. From the moment we stepped on the hotel property we were treated with exceptional service from the Concierge staff to the Front Desk Staff. Everyone was so freindly and helpful. We were very surprised by the size of the room. The sheets on the bed smelled very fresh and clean and the room smelled very nice. It was a really pretty room with a microwave and refridgerator. The location was AWESOME. On the street itself there was nothing but flower shops mainly, but the subway is just steps away and Times Square is basically a 5 minute train ride. This hotel is very closeto everything. NO, I did not have a problem with slow elevators. I have to say we had a great experience at this hotel. I have already recommended it to freinds who will be visiting in March and I will visit again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sonya529
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you had an overall good experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea. We find out location and room amenities to be very convenient for our guests. Our employees do a great job of welcoming and taking good care of our guests as well. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Aarhus, Denmark
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My wife and I had a 5 nights stay at the Hilton Garden Inn New York - Chelsea. It was an almost perfect stay. The hotel is very well located on 28th street between 6th and 7th avenue, and with 3 subway station in walking distance from the hotel.
The staff was very helpful, two examples are:
We arrived in the evening and the hotel was fully booked, and we got a room on the 7th floor. We asked at the front desk if we could have a room on one of the higher floors. We were told to leave our bags packed in the room the next morning then we left the hotel for the day. At our return to the hotel we received new key cards to our new room at the 23th floor, where our bags were moved to.
One of the mornings we went for breakfast at the hotel restaurant, we did both order the breakfast buffet, but my wife was not so hungry anyway, so she did only have a bagel and a cup of coffee. We were only charged for one "buffet" and a bagel instead of two "buffets" which we had ordered. Most places would have charged for two.
Hilton Garden Inn New York - Chelsea is clearly a hotel we would like to return to.

1 Thank PeterOdgaard
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us! Our staff works diligently to bring personal attention to every guest interaction, and we are pleased you received that attention. We are happy to hear our location was convenient for your many adventures as well. It is nice that we are so close to major attractions, but yet our guests are able to escape large crowds and a lot of noise. Thank you again for your kind words, and we are looking forward to see you during your next visit to New York!
New Jersey
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn - Chelsea on Labor Day. We found an incredible AAA rate ($79!) and I couldn't believe what a deal we got! Our King room was spacious as far as New York City hotel rooms go. The room and bathroom were spotless and the bed was super comfy. We had planned to visit Soho that day/evening and then midtown for business the following day. This hotel was the perfect base camp for visiting both areas. The hotel staff were all super friendly and helpful. This hotel is a gem!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us! We are so pleased to hear you had a great experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea. Our staff does a wonderful job exceeding expectations and making sure everything is spotless. We are happy to hear our location was convenient for your many adventures. Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea in the future!