“A perfect hotel for a visit to New York”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea
Ranked #199 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My wife and I had a 5 nights stay at the Hilton Garden Inn New York - Chelsea. It was an almost perfect stay. The hotel is very well located on 28th street between 6th and 7th avenue, and with 3 subway station in walking distance from the hotel.
The staff was very helpful, two examples are:
We arrived in the evening and the hotel was fully booked, and we got a room on the 7th floor. We asked at the front desk if we could have a room on one of the higher floors. We were told to leave our bags packed in the room the next morning then we left the hotel for the day. At our return to the hotel we received new key cards to our new room at the 23th floor, where our bags were moved to.
One of the mornings we went for breakfast at the hotel restaurant, we did both order the breakfast buffet, but my wife was not so hungry anyway, so she did only have a bagel and a cup of coffee. We were only charged for one "buffet" and a bagel instead of two "buffets" which we had ordered. Most places would have charged for two.
Hilton Garden Inn New York - Chelsea is clearly a hotel we would like to return to.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PeterOdgaard
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us! Our staff works diligently to bring personal attention to every guest interaction, and we are pleased you received that attention. We are happy to hear our location was convenient for your many adventures as well. It is nice that we are so close to major attractions, but yet our guests are able to escape large crowds and a lot of noise. Thank you again for your kind words, and we are looking forward to see you during your next visit to New York!

Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn - Chelsea on Labor Day. We found an incredible AAA rate ($79!) and I couldn't believe what a deal we got! Our King room was spacious as far as New York City hotel rooms go. The room and bathroom were spotless and the bed was super comfy. We had planned to visit Soho that day/evening and then midtown for business the following day. This hotel was the perfect base camp for visiting both areas. The hotel staff were all super friendly and helpful. This hotel is a gem!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us! We are so pleased to hear you had a great experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea. Our staff does a wonderful job exceeding expectations and making sure everything is spotless. We are happy to hear our location was convenient for your many adventures. Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea in the future!

Reviewed September 14, 2012

My partner, daughter and I stayed at this hotel at the begining of September for 5 nights. To put it in a nutshell we had a great time, all of the staff with the exception of 1 was extremely friendly to us for the entire stay and could not have done enough for us. I would not hesitate in reccomending this hotel to anyone that is planning a stay in this amazing city.
The one exception would be the male concierge who went by the name of 'Joe'. We did not find him either friendly or approachable. The day before we were due to leave we were to ask the reception to contact our pre booked transport to arrange a time for pick-up. The reception in turn informed us to speak to the 'concierge' (I use this term loosely) and he will make the necessary arrangements. After repeating this to him his response was as follows.......'so you want me to make the call do you'?...followed by.....'well I cant do that without a number !!

It was my understanding that a 'concierge' was there to help, smile, be friendly and approachable. NO SORRY, NOT WITH THIS GUY!!
After some discomfort on my part he did eventually phone and arrange pick-up for the following day.
The following day, we were waiting for pick up when a lady guest who was seated in foyer near us asked this 'guy' if he could turn up the TV a little bit so she could hear the news. Did he? Nope, he stated in a rather loud tone to this lady that his work station was in front of this TV and he was there for 12 hours so he himself turned the volume down to zero so it did not annoy him !!
I am sure his work station could have been moved a little bit to one side to accomodate the paying guests.
This guy either needs to be retrained as a concierge so he could do the job he is paid to do with a smile or replaced with someone more 'customer friendly'
I have noticed with previous reviews of this hotel that the management tend to respond to only favourable reviews and not to one's that may mention any complaints, I wonder if this trend will continue !
Not to finish this review on a negative I will state again that this hotel was just great with nice bedrooms,nice location and nice friendly staff (mostly), There is building work going on next door and the road outside can get busy with traffic so the noise levels can get loud but its New York !! The city is noisy and fast and busy..........but it is absolutely amazing ! enjoy :)

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank paul717
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Dear Paul 717,

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea and taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review. We are terribly sorry for the service you encountered regarding our concierge. We pride ourselves on having a warm and friendly staff. We will address this issue immediately and ensure none of our other guests encounter this type of unprofessionalism at our hotel.
Regarding other reviews written about us, we do respond to all positive and negative that are received. I invite you to continue checking on the Trip advisor website so you may see all of our responses.
If you would like to discuss this further, i can be reached at silvio.zinnanti@hilton.com
We thank you so much for your feedback and wonderful review; we look forward on seeing you on your next visit to New York City.

Regards,

Silvio Zinnanti

Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

Had to extend my stay in the city for one night. I was able to get a great last minute late-night rate of $99 from this hotel. This is a well-maintained hotel with very friendly staff (even late at night) and well-appointed though compact rooms.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012

Thank you for the wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us! We are so pleased to hear you had a great experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea. Our staff does a wonderful job making sure our rooms are very clean and well maintained. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to see you during your next visit to New York!

Reviewed September 12, 2012

I met my daughter in NYC for the US Open (Tennis, not golf) which is held in Flushing. We spent all day out in the heat and sun watching amazing tennis (in my opinion, the most demanding sport) to return to the comfort of our Hilton Garden Inn in Chelsea section (28th between 6th and 7th). The guys working the front are the nicest, friendliest, most accommodating doormen I have ever encountered. So a big plus for making you feel welcome. The room was wonderfully clean and airy. We were on the 14th floor and overlooked a courtyard of other buildings so no real view but honestly it was not important to us.
Bed was very comfortable - not too hard, not too soft. Although the bed had a dial for adjusting firmness, we found that this did not work. Free Wi-Fi was great - good connectivity.
We did not eat on premises so no review of food. Nor did we have time to use the fitness center but did look in at it and it was a room with several different types of aerobic machines as well as weights. The temperature seemed right for exercising.
Other people have commented about the slowness of the elevators (there are only 2 elevators to accommodate a hi rise). The only time we noticed that we had to wait quite a few minutes (maybe 4 or so) was in the AM when we were preparing to check out. It was not a big deal to us, although we did notice it then. Word to wise - if you have a train/plane/bus to catch you might give yourself an extra 10 minutes.
My only complaint (and really not the Hotel's fault) was the construction noise in the morning. If I was wanting to sleep in it would not have been a possibility due to construction noise beginning about 8 AM (although my daughter seemed to sleep through it so it may be because I was already awake).
I would recommend this hotel to others, very convenient to Penn Station and many good restaurants.

Room Tip: The construction is taking place on the 7th Avenue side of the building (so I think that would be no...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank carolcat40

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you had a good experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea. We find out location and room amenities to be very convenient for our guests. Our employees do a great job of welcoming and taking good care of our guests as well. . I apologize you were faced with elevator checkout "rush hour." Unfortunately, we have a limited number of elevators due to the size of our hotel. Thank you for making us your hotel of choice, and we look forward to seeing you next time you are in New York!

Reviewed September 6, 2012

From the minute I entered the hotel I was greeted with a smile. I Booked this reservation kinda last minute with my Hilton points and it was a great choice!
The location was exactly where I wanted to be and I was able to check-in as a Diamond Hilton member with no issues. The bellman who first welcomed me opened the door with a big smile then offered to assist me with my luggage to my room which I did not need. As a Diamond member I got a welcome bag with water and breafast coupons for me and my guest.
The room was lovely and very clean. The TV was kinda hard to figure out but other than that everything else was in working order. In the morning my friend and I had breakfast which was great! The breafast girls were nice and friendly as well.
I did not have one single issue or problem staying here and recommend using your points or spending your money staying here!
Thank you to everyone at the Hilton Garden Inn-Chelsea!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank RunningJock
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea and for being a Hilton Honors member! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel clean and convenient. Our entire staff does a great job of welcoming and offering personal attention to each guest. Thank you again for your kind words, and we are looking forward to see you during your next visit to New York!

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed here one night just recently. The hotel had those inflatable mattresses which I had a hard time adjusting to. It was either too hard or bottomed out to be too soft. I prefer the standard type of mattress. We had a room with a shower head from the reject pile. It was broken and barely sprayed enough to get us wet. Since I only stayed here one night I didn't bother with having it changed. But I did mention it on checkout so the next guest wouldn't have to put up with it. Other then that the stay there was pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Thanks so much for the very nice review of your stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. We are very sorry to hear that the mattress and the shower head did not work to expectation. It usually takes 15 to 20 minutes for the mattress to adjust to its desired position. I wish you would have called us; we would have loved to assist in resolving both of the issues. Thank you for your feedback and for making us your hotel of choice; we look forward to seeing you next time you are in New York.