“Onboard NYC Tour "Jimmy"”

OnBoard New York Tours
Ranked #84 of 619 Tours in New York City
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: OnBoard New York Tours operates the Only Comprehensive Guided Tour of New York City. Our tour guides hop off the shuttle bus with you at each attraction, showing you the city in detail. Smaller groups make better tours, so we limit group size on our tours and use smaller shuttles that allow more interaction with your guide.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Onboard NYC Tour "Jimmy"”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Family of 4 (kids: 13/17) visiting NYC and booked Onboard tours after some internet research. After evaluating other site seeing companies (Open bus tours) it made since to book with Onboard. Tour guides come off the bus with you while you walk at specific sights, AC in bus, small groups, padded seats, water bottles all sounded good. "Jimmy" from Brooklyn was absolutely perfect. His knowledge about the city, personality, humor and genuine care for his group was certainly impressive. It was more than obvious that Jimmy loves his job and my recommendation is to specifically ask for "Jimmy" on your tour. He made our family feel welcomed and safe throughout the tour.

The lunch accommodations were perfect with such a selection, it was hard to where to start eating!

Not to sound overly glowing, but it truly was. I will recommend Onboard with Jimmy for anyone that I know visiting NYC.

South Carolina Family (Go Clemson!)

4 Thank Larry M

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Frisco, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent tour with Jimmy”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

My 14-year-old daughter and I did the See It All Tour on June 20. Our tour guide Jimmy was awesome. Informative, funny, concerned that everyone was having a good time, kept up with a large group to make sure no one got left behind. This tour is 100% better than the hop on, hop off tours being sold everywhere in the city. Can't recommend On Board enough.

1 Thank JimmyD253
Alton, Illinois
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great intro to NYC!!!”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We (me, my wife and our 15-year-old daughter) took the See It All Premium tour today - and it was a great experience! The success of guided tours can really rest on the shoulders of the tour guide - and we were very fortunate to have Howie (a lifelong resident of the greater NYC area) as our guide...he was informative, entertaining, energetic, accommodating and organized...and came prepared with different pictures to show us at different points of our tour. So, here is a run down of the See It All Premium tour (because I couldn't find a complete itinerary anywhere prior to the tour).

We met the bus on 53rd street at 9am on Tuesday, June 24th - a beautiful, sunny day with temperatures in the high 70's. Howie introduced himself to us and made sure we were part of the See It All Premium tour (since they had two buses there - one for our tour and one for a different tour) and ensured we were on the right bus. We left promptly at 9:30 and headed for the Hudson River piers where we boarded a water taxi for a ride down to Battery Park. The guide on the water taxi was also very entertaining and informative as we made our way past the Manhattan skyline towards the financial district.

We disembarked the water taxi and then walked to see a host of different sites - the Clinton Castle in Battery Park, the start of Broadway where ticker tape parades are held, the New York Stock Exchange at the corner of Broad and Wall street, Federal Hall and the 9/11 memorial sites. We spent enough time at each site to take many pictures and ask any questions - and then Howie would raise his red umbrella and we'd follow him at a New York pace to the next destination. We spent almost an hour at the 9/11 site and were able to see the waterfall memorials for both towers as well as all of the surrounding buildings now being built. This tour does NOT include admission to the 9/11 museum...that is separate and would take a bit of time to see everything it has to offer.

After leaving the 9/11 memorial we were picked up by the bus and transported to the South Street Seaport where we boarded the Zephyr yacht - our 2nd boat ride of the tour. We sailed directly towards and then under the Brooklyn Bridge, had a great view of the Verrazano-Narrows bridge and then did a U-turn and headed back towards the financial district. We had great views of downtown from both the southeast and southwest sides of the island and then headed south from the Hudson towards Ellis and Liberty islands. We had great views of Hoboken and Jersey City and then were able to get great pictures of both Ellis Island and Liberty Island as well as many pictures of the Statue of Liberty. We then headed back to the Seaport for debarkation.

Howie then took us to lunch at a nice market and food court a couple blocks off the water - a very neat area with old buildings and cobblestone streets! After lunch we drove up the Avenues of the Americas where Howie pointed out the different villages and neighborhoods as we passed through them - as well as pointers if/when we'd like to go see them on our own time - China Town, Tribeca, Soho, East/Greenich/West villages, Little Italy. We then stopped at Madison Square Park where we were able to get great pictures of both the Flatiron Building as well as the Empire State Building.

We boarded the bus again and then headed north to Central Park - saw a lot of sites in midtown Manhattan along the way. We stopped at Central Park right next to the Dakota and then took a short walk into Central Park to see Strawberry Fields and the "Imagine" mosaic that Yoko Ono donated in remembrance of John Lennon. We boarded the bus again, drove East across the park and then headed south on 5th Avenue down to Rockefeller Center. We got off the bus once more and took some time to look around Rockefeller Center and the buildings/shops there. At this point is just after 4pm and we were getting ready to board the bus back to 53rd street - but we asked Howie if we could just end our tour at 30 Rock and he said absolutely. So we gladly gave him a well-earned gratuity and thanked him for a great day and a wonderful overview of what NYC has to offer.

If you are a first-time to NYC make the investment to take the See It All Premium tour with On-Board Tours and you won't be disappointed! We did a good bit of walking, but the pace was manageable, the distance was doable and the sites were plentiful! It was a great start to our week in NYC and I would HIGHLY recommend this tour to anyone who wants to see a lot in 7 1/2 hours! And if you ever get a little distracted and are straggling the group just look for Howie's red umbrella and you'll get right back in the fold!

6 Thank byington64
Chicago
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Okay, but could have been much better”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This gets a mixed review. We took it on Friday night, and we showed up the tour guide Ryan and the driver told us they were thinking of canceling the tour because only two people showed up. Fair enough, but I’d like to know that PRIOR to five minutes before the tour starts so I have some chance of booking another tour. (In the past, I’ve had tours cancelled, but they do it about 48 hours before so you have time to plan. I wasn't thrilled making plans for something to do in Manhattan on 7PM Friday night.)

The good news is a bunch of people did show up and we were off! Better news was that our tour guide (Ryan?) was a native and quite knowledgeable about the area. He had answers to all my questions and really did know his way around the city. The bad news is that he didn’t volunteer that much and sometimes I felt like was interrogating him for information.

For example, we stopped by Washington Square Park. He talked about how it was a burial ground and the beatniks and hippies for a minute, and that was about it. I was a bit astonished, because of all the famous people who have lived around Washington Square (Edward Hopper or Henry James) or the hanging tree or the chess hustlers (Searching for Bobby Fischer). He later launched into this big routine about the rap poetry he did in the village. I actually like tours where the tour guide brings personal experiences to the tour, and consider it a plus, but not to the exclusion of the actual history of the sights we are seeing.

He took us across the bridge to show us Manhattan’s skyline. Awesome, but we all split up and I had to track him down and ask him to point out the buildings. It was a bit more like he was driving us places and dropping us off, with some occasional stories about his personal life mixed in.

I think part of the problem was he had his wife with him and paired off with her a lot. She seemed nice, but they talked to one another, and I had the distinct feeling he couldn’t wait for the tour to be over so he could do what he really wanted to do with her.

The tour itself covered the usual suspects, which is fine given how awesome Manhattan is, and we had a smart tour guide. The problem was I felt like I was dealing with an “A” student who was happy to coast through to a “C” because he really wanted to cut class.

On the brighter side my brother left his keys on the bus and the driver did chase us down the street and return them. Many thanks for that, and I feel bad about giving a lukewarm review. The tour also ended about 1/2 hour early, which was rather symbolic of the entire experience.

2 Thank Mike M
Harrisonburg, Virginia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great tour”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

With a short time in NYC I decided on taking the NY See It All! Premium Tour and wasn't disappointed. Our guide, Garrett, was a wealth of knowledge and helped us understand the real NY. There is a lot of walking and he is there with us all the way.

2 Thank Ed K