The entire time I stayed at this hotel, every hotel guest I met was from abroad (no exaggeration here). This is the first CitizenM hotel in the U.S. and having recently opened, I can only conclude my counterparts in the U.S. have yet not discovered this hidden gem. The pluses:
1) Location: On W. 50th between Broadway and 8th Avenue places you in the theater district, a couple of blocks from Times Square, right in Midtown and steps from the subway. Can't say enough about the convenience of staying here for my trip. Cabs are plentiful traveling in front of the hotel. Real plus when you are trying to flag down one for the airport.
2) Concept: Reminds me of the Westin Aloft brand on serious growth hormones. Best lobby gathering space I've ever seen in terms of décor, comfort, seating, and dedicated spaces for reading, meeting people, eating, working, and just plain hanging out.
3) Convenience: Check-in is 'do-it-yourself'. There are plenty of staff milling about if you have questions on navigating the electronic check-in system.
4) Technology: When I got to my room, my moodpad had a welcome note personally addressed to me. Between the buttons on the wall and the controls on the moodpad, I loved being able to manage my TV, temperature, lighting, artwork (yes, I could even choose the digital art I wanted to display during my stay), and music (multiple categories -- beats, R&B, hip hop, you pick one and 22 songs are pre-programmed to play to suit your mood).
5) Rooftop Bar: I'm letting the cat out of the bag. This is one of the best rooftop bars I've encountered. Cozy, well decorated, beaucoup (plenty of) seating, unique drinks, great staff, nice views, lovely sunsets.
6) Exercise Room: Sufficient number of machines for size of the hotel. Outdoor space/wooden platform for yoga, and a birdhouse garden to view while you exercise!
7) Decent Food: No room service, but a canteen with breakfast, dinner, and specialty (luxury) snacks, as well as a full bar in the lobby for whatever you need at any time of day.
8) Quiet rooms: I never heard noise my entire stay and I was next to the elevator, which I typically avoid like the plaque in any hotel when traveling. One strange note: no face/wash cloths, only hand towels (the larger ones). So if you are like me and consider these a staple in your clean routine, bring some with you!
Only thing I noted in the way of feedback for the hotel is that service can be a little spotty, some folks are excellent, and some project that NYC aloofness. I am sure they'll work out the kinks over the next several months as they establish themselves in NYC.
All in all, a huge hit. I was here for a girls weekend, and we all stayed in different hotels. Needless to say, everyone wanted to meet at my hotel each morning (great lattes/cappuccinos and perfect central location to meet); one of my girlfriends said she will definitely be staying here on her next visit. Well done CitizenM!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in iconic Times Square, just off the corner of Broadway & 50th, citizenM New York offers 230 boutique rooms in the heart of the theater district. Come for a piece of cultural notoriety and stay for the anti-jet lag rain showers and free Wi-Fi, free movies, hi-tech MoodPad tablet to control every detail of your room, super chic lobby spaces designed as Vitra living rooms, an on-site MENDO library for perusing or purchasing, 24/7 dining and cocktailing at canteenM, a quiet mezzanine terrace, fully-equipped gym and yoga terrace, and the skyline showstopper: an exclusive rooftop bar, cloudbar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, Despegar.com, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your citizenM New York Times Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.