“Solo American!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of citizenM New York Times Square

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
citizenM New York Times Square
Ranked #23 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Leesburg, Virginia
“Solo American!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

The entire time I stayed at this hotel, every hotel guest I met was from abroad (no exaggeration here). This is the first CitizenM hotel in the U.S. and having recently opened, I can only conclude my counterparts in the U.S. have yet not discovered this hidden gem. The pluses:

1) Location: On W. 50th between Broadway and 8th Avenue places you in the theater district, a couple of blocks from Times Square, right in Midtown and steps from the subway. Can't say enough about the convenience of staying here for my trip. Cabs are plentiful traveling in front of the hotel. Real plus when you are trying to flag down one for the airport.

2) Concept: Reminds me of the Westin Aloft brand on serious growth hormones. Best lobby gathering space I've ever seen in terms of décor, comfort, seating, and dedicated spaces for reading, meeting people, eating, working, and just plain hanging out.

3) Convenience: Check-in is 'do-it-yourself'. There are plenty of staff milling about if you have questions on navigating the electronic check-in system.

4) Technology: When I got to my room, my moodpad had a welcome note personally addressed to me. Between the buttons on the wall and the controls on the moodpad, I loved being able to manage my TV, temperature, lighting, artwork (yes, I could even choose the digital art I wanted to display during my stay), and music (multiple categories -- beats, R&B, hip hop, you pick one and 22 songs are pre-programmed to play to suit your mood).

5) Rooftop Bar: I'm letting the cat out of the bag. This is one of the best rooftop bars I've encountered. Cozy, well decorated, beaucoup (plenty of) seating, unique drinks, great staff, nice views, lovely sunsets.

6) Exercise Room: Sufficient number of machines for size of the hotel. Outdoor space/wooden platform for yoga, and a birdhouse garden to view while you exercise!

7) Decent Food: No room service, but a canteen with breakfast, dinner, and specialty (luxury) snacks, as well as a full bar in the lobby for whatever you need at any time of day.

8) Quiet rooms: I never heard noise my entire stay and I was next to the elevator, which I typically avoid like the plaque in any hotel when traveling. One strange note: no face/wash cloths, only hand towels (the larger ones). So if you are like me and consider these a staple in your clean routine, bring some with you!

Only thing I noted in the way of feedback for the hotel is that service can be a little spotty, some folks are excellent, and some project that NYC aloofness. I am sure they'll work out the kinks over the next several months as they establish themselves in NYC.

All in all, a huge hit. I was here for a girls weekend, and we all stayed in different hotels. Needless to say, everyone wanted to meet at my hotel each morning (great lattes/cappuccinos and perfect central location to meet); one of my girlfriends said she will definitely be staying here on her next visit. Well done CitizenM!

Room Tip: I liked my view of 49th Ave. Not sure there is a bad view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank NeverLoseUrPlace
citizenLance, Manager at citizenM New York Times Square, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
NeverLooseUrPlace,

Thanks for sharing your visit with other readers. It was quite the compliment to hear your friends wanted to meet here. We are proud of our coffee (all made fresh, no pre-brewed coffee). Also, part of the secret of the Cloud Bar (roof bar) is that it is only open to hotel guests and private parties. We want our guests to have a place that is an escape from the sometimes frenetic pace of NYC.

Look forward to the next girls weekend when everyone will be staying here!

citizenLance

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked this new boutique hotel because it had that European flare at an affordable price (for NYC) and in the heart of the theatre district. We had previously stayed at the Sheraton the two nights prior on my companies dime. The minute we entered the soaring lobby and soaked in the chic interior and unpretentious vibe, we quickly forgot all about the mediocre stay we had at the generic hotel. We left our bags with the hotel staff and returned late in the evening to check in. When we arrived back, the computer systems were down and the staff were unable to check us in. They were very kind and offered us drinks at the bar on the house. Luciano , the super calm and accommodating staff member and Rudy , the bar tender that evening, treated us very well and didn't even break a sweat while they worked through their system issue. We eventually checked into a room. The room was perfect. So many awesome features. It felt like were on a spaceship! The breakfast was great and beat your usual dreary continental breakfasts. The rooftop bar is limited to its guests which is great. All of the staff were eager to serve and genuinely friendly. I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
ssisko,

Thank you for sharing your stay with other readers. And also your understanding when the computers didn't perform. Luciano & Rudy are two of our many stars and glad that their hospitality overshadowed any obstacle. Having the canteenM bar in the lobby (which is open to the public) and the Cloud Bar (for hotel guests) allows us to provide different experiences: busy & hoping or serene & peaceful.

Look forward to your next trip to NYC!

Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Very unique hotel experience -- from the computer check-in process, to the mood lighting in the room, to the amazing public spaces and Mac computers for guests. The hotel had just opened so there were still a couple of bugs to work out, but the staff was super friendly and the whole experience was just really fun. Loved the dark window shades and mood lighting in the shower.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
switzerpoint,

Thank you for sharing your stay with other readers. Appreciate the nice mention of our staff. We are very proud of them. The window shades are getting a lot of good feedback...really blacks out the room.

Look forward to seeing you again soon.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

The citizenM is an impeccably designed hotel, and the whole place smells absolutely amazing.
public area are super convenience.
The self check-in process is very friendly and useful. The rooms are nicely appointed and beds super comfortable.
In the roof top at night it was sexy atmosphere a lot of young ppl, good music and great view on the terrace.
Rich and healthy breakfast- highly recommend to wake up early (before lines:-) ) and have your breakfast on the patio or second floor.

definitely will come back

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eyal s
eyal s,

Thanks for sharing your experience at our hotel. Very much enjoyed reading your review. Sorry for the line for coffee. All our coffee, espresso, etc. is fresh brewed to order. We don't have pre-brewed coffee. We know it can take a few moments, but we think it's worth the wait.

You wrote such a nice review, I am wondering what we should have done better to get a 5 rating?!?! Please feel free to let us know.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

I have stayed in lots of hotels in New York over the years, but this one is fab.

I know it is relatively new and therefore will be better than most, but I found everything absolutely excellent. The checkin staff were very helpful, the reception area is really chic and funky and the rooms are a technology geeks home from home.

Although the room is small it doesn't feel that way, every hotel room I have ever stayed in in New York in this price bracket is pretty small.

The bed dominates the room with a full size window overlooking New York. The blinds or curtains can be drawn using the in room tablet, that also controls the mood lighting, TV etc.

Full internet access (speedy and easy to log into), a mini bar with some evian is ideal for the morning after the night before.

Only criticism would be the top floor bar. It looks great but the service needs touched up here for my liking.

But all in all a fantastic place to stay on business or leisure in a great location. I will be back

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kevin D
Kevin D

Thanks for sharing your visit with other readers. We made a conscious decision to have a more modestly sized room and be a bit more extravagant in our lobby and common space. I appreciate your comment about the Cloud Bar. We opened the roof top bar early just recently (after the hotel opening). We will certainly be fine tuning the experience.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

We just spent 5 days at the hotel and were very pleasantly surprised. Its location is excellent with three subway stations within a block or two making it quite easy to get anywhere. The architecture and decor are very modern. Rooms are small but after all this is NYC where there is so much to do that little time is spent in the room. The bathroom is also small but amazingly well designed (as everything else in the hotel). Cleanliness was obviously uppermost in the mind of the architect, as demonstrated by the glass interior surfaces of the bathroom and nice vinyl (?) room floor which is far more hygienic than carpet. To say that the mostly young staff is friendly is an understatement, they are truly wonderful and seem to share a sense of ownership which is reflected in an always enthusiastic and pleasant attitude. Breakfasts and food (buffet style) are very good and reasonably priced. The same cannot be said about drinks, although they may have the NYC average price. The bar at the top floor has an amazing view. In summary, we will certainly return to this hotel when we visit New York in the future and intend to recommend it to our friends and family.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Ernest_Ha,

Thanks for taking a moment to share your visit with other readers. Very nice to read the word "surprise" in your review as our goal is to wow and surprise our guests, both with the design and decor but also our team. To answer your question, the guest room floor is a laminate that is easy to maintain and presents a much cleaner look and feel than one gets from a carpeted floor.

Our pricing is an important part of your experience and I am sorry you felt the drink prices were high. Please know that we competitively shop those things and for a comparable bar experience, we thought they were reasonable. Notwithstanding, we will have another look at them.

Thanks too for recommending us.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

we stated here for 3 nights with two children 4 and 1. although it is a very stylish hotel the rooms are rather small. there is a huge king size bed which was enough for the four of us but its just too small with the kids. we booked the hotel because it was new,cleanliness has always been my priority concern whenever i travel.
parking was a short 20 metres walk from the hotel.
I did ask the lady who was cleaning our room to clean the flloor and the toilet bowl ( it was stained with urine,not by us) so i left the toilet seat up so she wouldnt miss it.she didnt clean it but did mop the floor. she seemed offended by my request even though i left her a tip!
the reception staff was superb, they are kind and thoughtful, gave my little girl a cookie when she was throwing one of her fits in the lobby.
one of the guys also came up himslef to mop our floor the first night! a little embarassing for us!
overall will definitely stay here again if i ever manage to do so without my kids!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank HAHirose
HAHirose,

Thanks for taking a moment to share your visit. Please accept my apologies for the housekeeping issue. Not generally something we experience, and we will address it. We opened shortly before your stay and know we will do better.

All of our rooms feature a king sized bed, so I understand your comment about returning without the little ones. Glad they enjoyed themselves too.

See you again soon (we hope!)