“BEST MASSAGES EVER!!”

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“BEST MASSAGES EVER!!”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

It's interesting to see people only write reviews when they receive bad service but never when they receive good ones. The service is fine here. The owners are really friendly and talkative but the ladies giving the massages are AMAZING!!!

They seem to all be Brazilian and very well trained. I never had to point out the area to focus on, she felt it on my body and by the time I left the spa I felt like a new person.

Love it and will definitely come back

Visited August 2012

New York, New York, United States
“Terrible Customer Service”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Although I admit that I did not get to expirience their services and am therefore not able to judge it's quality, I have to give this spa a poor rating due to it's customer service. I had some unused credit for services purchased but never used. When I tried to use my credit they made it extremely difficult by placing false and made up limitations on the use of the credit . The credit was provided to me with the written and contracted understanding that I would be able to use it for any service they provided but they refused to honor that agreement. I normally don't get as frustrated but I believe spa's of all places should hold customer service as vital and you kow something is not good about a place when just trying to book a massage gives you added stress and tension lol.

Visited August 2012
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Stay away...FAR away!”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Here is my request from Groupon regarding this company:

I have been trying to use my Groupon for Spa Ja for 6 months. Every time I tell them that I am using a Groupon, they tell me they are booked up in the evenings. I have tried about a half dozen times for when I go to NYC to use it. So, it was very telling today when they told me again they are again totally booked all week, and I asked when they DO have availability in the evenings and they said, they don't, period. When I asked for an extension of my Groupon to find an evening appointment, they said they would only extend my coupon if I took a daytime massage during my work hours and then told me one date that worked for them--which was not possible. This company is not being forthright with customers, and they were very rude today when I gave them the history of my attempts. I have asked for a full refund now that I have a taste of what they consider what should be a peaceful relaxing experience.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank MrFordCT
NYC
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“I would go somewhere else, even a chain like Bliss, before we head back to this monstrosity”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Have you ever dreamed of a day at the spa? If you have the quintessential memory you would like to hold on to don't go to Spa Ja.

What a waste... We signed up for the groupon promotion... and wish we didn't go.

We originally called and tried to get an appointment but once the Spa found out it was a groupon coupon they were all of a sudden booked. The third time I called I mentioned this at the very end and James, the owner, stated he wished he was told this at the beginning of the call. I wonder why...

Our appointment was at 12:45 and he told us to show up at 12:15. So we showed up at 12:10 thinking it was going to be a spa experience and we could sit down and relax in a Spa. Ja Ja Ja!

When we arrived at the door downstairs all I could think was 'did I just bring my wife to an Asian massage parlor?' The red and black Amsterdam/Asian look and feel was the first sign. As we are walking up the stairs noticing the poorly patched holes in the wall my wife asked me... 'Are you sure we are at the right place?'... 'umm I am not sure'. Once we got the reception area (it is nothing like they have in their pictures on the website. There is a massage table in the way of all of their products.) I was reaffirmed as there was a lady my mother's age sitting there waiting for a hair appointment. Phew... this is about the only good news I got at ja ja ja.

We were greeted by James, a lack luster greeting, and he took our coats. I asked if there was a sauna where we could relax before our treatments and he scoffed a laughed and said no. He invited us to sit in a little cubby hole waiting area. It had walnuts, mixed fruits, a chocolate chip cookie and what looked like was a dry half eaten brownie... yummy....

After being there about 5 min James stated my wife's technician was ready and she was whisked away. I continued to wait for an additional 15 min and asked how much longer I was to wait. James then stated our appointment was at 12:45 and we were lucky my wife got in early. I then stated he was the one that told us to get there at 12:15 and if they didn't have anything for us to do why ask us to come early. He stated he did not say that and he would try to get me in to see someone in the next 15 min. So in essence he told me I had to wait 20 min and then my wife then will have to wait 20 min for me... a waste of 40 min at Spa Ja for their communication error.

My masseuse showed up and escorted me up another set up stairs... as we are heading up you can see black industrial trash bags in the hallway along with cleaning supplies. I was lead into a freezing cold room with a blue light on. The room was packed with machines to do other spa things and was not inviting including the hole in the celling and the fact you could hear everything in the adjoining rooms.

So to the massage... It was good. She did an excellent job of removing the stress from my shoulder blades... and it was the full 60 min. I cannot complain about the massage.

As we were leaving I asked my wife how her treatment was. She was disapointed to say the least. They only used one cream the entire time and they didnt have a proper place for her get ready afterwards.

As you can see I am about the ambiance and experience of a day at the Spa. In the end we paid $210 for a facial and a groupon discounted massage including tip... It was not worth it. I could never imagine paying full price for both treatments. I would go somewhere else or even a chain like Bliss before we head back to this monstrosity.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank jstud
New York City, New York
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Good massage, but noisy salon waiting area”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

I decided to give this place a try when there was a Groupon for an hour massage because it is my neighborhood and looked like a good deal. I had been curious about it since it opened, but the red and black outside decor on the building was a bit of a turn off -- I don't find it very inviting for a spa.

When I got there, I realized it is both a spa and salon that share a reception and waiting area. That part is a bit unfortunate because while I waited for my massage therapist to finish with the appointment before me (she ran over by 10-15 minutes) I sat listening to the busy chatter and drying from the hair salon. I started getting more agitated than relaxed.

It's too bad they can't make a more peaceful waiting area for spa services because once I was taken upstairs to my appointment, it was a completely different and much more relaxing experience. The massage itself was a fusion massage with hot stones and I really enjoyed it.

Visited December 2011