“Outstanding”

Neighborhood: Midtown
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

Dined here one evening and have to say, it was one of the best meals I have had. Excellent choice of food, with a heavy British influence! The sticky toffee pudding is out of this world... as is the banoffee trifle! Atmosphere is great too, with drawing rooms to enjoy your pre dinner drinks in, then the dining room which is bustling, but not in an oppressive way. There will be an outside dining area completed soon, so will have to go back for lunch soon!!!

• Visited May 2014

New York City
“The Peacock Struts it's Stuff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

The Murray Hill area has a wonderful new restaurant, The Peacock, located in the hotel The William on East 39th Street off Madison. Very British, warm small dining rooms, lots of atmosphere and very cordial staff. Excellent service. (Downstairs is The Shakespeare, pub type, much lower priced, but much louder and younger crowd.)
Almost all the dishes had unusual and innovative pairings, and my daughter and I loved all our courses. For appetizers we had a beet salad, with ricotta, and it was large enough to be a small entree. The roasted cauliflower was quite good. Main courses were excellent, salmon and curry lamb, both uniquely prepared. We splurged and ordered 2 desserts, which had several components, decadent and delicious. The cappucino was too strong, but no complaining after our leisurely feast.

• Visited May 2014
White Plains, New York
“Great dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

I visited with a group of British expat friends after having been to the sister restaurant (Jones Wood Foundry) a few times. We had an early table and arrived shortly after opening time for cocktails. The building is very well designed with a separate rooms for cocktails and dining. The drawing room where we enjoyed pre- and post- dinner cocktails was very cosy and reminded me of old English hotels.

We all enjoyed the food, which was a perfect rendition of English classics but with a special high-end touch. My duck cottage pie was fantastic and my friends enjoyed their dishes too.

The restaurant was a little quiet when we were first seated but it picked up as the night went on. We all appreciated a break from the usual cramped, noisy, quick turnaround Manhattan dining experience. We will definitely be back!

Visited April 2014
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Part of a party”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

A reviewer is best if it is not out of his/her pocket. I was one of the dozen people at a meeting held in one of the dining rooms. The company paid!

It is an old Victorian hotel in NYC (the William, a boutique hotel) and this restaurant is enterd from the front door.

You then enter the library for cocktails. It was reminiscent of a trip to England where we did the same. We all had cocktails in the Library and then retied to one of the dining rooms.

The 'host' ordered appetizers for us to share. I most enjoyed the crab meat. They were all excellent.

We then each ordered for ourselves. I ordered sea scallops. Three of the biggest I had ever seen were delivered. They were soft, tender and scrumptious. My wife ordered lamb curry and I got a major taste. It too was delicious. I got a taste of steak from my neighbor and it melted in my mouth.

The service to a large table (12) is difficult but in this restaurant it went off smoothly and was done with aplomb. Actually the service was the best I have ever had in NYC. They did not add any additional diners until the adjacent dining room was full. Nice respect for our meeting.

Conclusion: superb food, served with attentiveness and effectiveness. A good place for a date, a meeting, or a party.

• Visited March 2014