“Great food and service, even with a Groupon”

Forty2West Italian Bar & Chophouse
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Rockefeller Plaza & 6th Avenue
Transit: D F M N B V
Description: Whether it is a business lunch, a pre-theater supper, a celebratory dinner or a private party, forty2West can accommodate your needs. We can help turn ordinary occasions into extraordinary meals, and special occasions into affairs to remember. Our large bar has it's own menu with plenty of room eat while having cocktails and socializing. A great place to meet before dinner or just catch up after work with friends. Our private rooms can accomodate small groups of 10 to largers groups of 80 for a seated dinner to groups as large as 150 for a cocktail style event. Private rooms and private bar are located on the mezzanine level of the restaurant with a balcony overlooking the main floor.
allentown, pa
“Great food and service, even with a Groupon”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Ok, let's get this out there, this is not an inexpensive restaurant. We had a Groupon for a 4 course meal for 2 people. We were brought a bread basket that had a variety of about 5 different breads.Each one was very tasty. We started with a choice of soup or salad. We had the John D special salad. This consisted of chopped tomatoes, peppers, shrimp, onion, bacon with a balsamic vinegar dressing. Excellent first course.. My husband and I both decided on the Filet. We had sautéed spinach, mushrooms and Yukon mashed potatoes. The sides were served family style with enough to share. The potatoes were creamy and oh so wonderful! The Filet was wonderful and each portion was the right amount. We had a choice of several desserts. We picked creme brûlée and Key Lime pie. Excellent desserts! We paid extra for a glass of Montepulciano wine with dinner. We declined coffee, I don't know if it was included, but we don't drink coffee. The service was exceptional! The wait staff was very attentive. We ordered from a special "groupon" menu, but it had a large selection of items I choose from.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank jenneyAllentown_Pa

New York City, New York
“AVOID AT ALL COSTS”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

THIS IS THE WORST RESTAURANT I HAVE EVER BEEN TO IN NYC. I have eaten better food at a mall food court. I wish I could give zero stars, but that wasn't an option. As soon as we indicated we had a Groupon, it was disaster central. We must have been asked 10x if we wanted a cocktail. If we said no the first time, we likely aren't interested. The Groupon is supposed to represent a savings off of normal menu items. If we had known our food would have been child size portions and Grade F "filet" we would NEVER have gone. Additionally, they took it upon themselves to add an automatic tip, as if people that use Groupons have no manners. Last but not least, they charged the card for the Groupon amount (which was already paid)! Absolutely RIDICULOUS. This place should be shut-down. DO NOT GO!!!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Liz_B_84
Crestwood, Kentucky
“Delicious Food, Great Service”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We recently purchased a Groupon for this restaurant which we used tonight for my husbands birthday while visiting the city. Noticed a slight decline in servers enthusiasm when we mentioned we were using the Groupon, which didn't make sense since they add the tip based on the full amount of the check. But on to the food, we started with a Gazpacho and lettuce wedge salad - both had great flavor and seasoned well. For our entree's we had the Filet and the Horseradish Salmon. The filet was perfectly cooked and had the slightest touch of crispiness on the outside while being juicy and perfectly cooked on the inside. The salmon was really good, but the horseradish lacked any bite which we had expected and hoped for. The mashed potatoes were so yummy and creamy, steamed brocolli was just that - crisp, steamed and NOT drenched in butter. Finished with chocolate layer cake, which they added a bday candle for my husband, and the housemade cheesecake. Cake was good, and cheesecake was divine! Everything was pretty wonderful but we are stuck on the value because it is super pricey.... steak was $37, salmon $32, sides are $12 each... ouch.

Visited July 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great New York Steakhouse in Mid-Manhattan”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

My girlfriend and I were treated to this restaurant twice while staying with friends in New York City, and we loved it.

If you ever hear that the specials include Beef Wellington, then go for it, because it is amazing. The second time I went, after talking about the beef wellington for months, it wasn't offered and I was destroyed. However, I went for one of their steaks and it was great, too (the T-bone in particular), and the thick cut Canadian bacon is a really delicious side to share.

This place is perfect for a meal before a show.

• Visited July 2011
North Conway, New Hampshire
“Steaks were great...”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

but way overpriced. Let me just say we are NOT foodies (except for the guy who picked this place, which explains a lot). I have honestly never had a better cooked filet, but for $39 that was what you got. We shared the side dish sampler; au gratin potatoes, spinach and mashed. They were all lukewarm. The service was friendly, but the place was practically empty early on a Saturday night. One of our party had a shrimp dish and ordered a baked potato that he never got. Another member of our group had a tomato and mozzarella appetizer that he said was quite good. All in all, with 1 1/2 rounds of drinks and dessert, our bill was close to $400. Yikes. Guess this was just not my cup of tea.

• Visited April 2012