New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Bowery Hotel

The Bowery Hotel
Ranked #142 of 477 Hotels in New York City
Danbury, Connecticut
“Outstanding Service, small rooms and pricey PET FRIENDLY”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2009

I reserved a King room for about $400. When I was shown to the room, it was tiny and I rejected it. I asked for something MUCH larger and was offered a "Suite". It was much larger but is was not a Suite. Just a bathroom and a larger room with sitting area.

Hotel has wireless but it's not secure. I used m Sprint MyFi.

Parking is at a separate garage. Allow 30 minutes for your car to be delivered.

Superb front desk staff. Hotel had 2 doormen, 24/7

The Bowery Hotel is pet friendly. No surcharges for pets.

It was also nice to note that the housekeeping staff DID respect my DO NOT DISTURB sign.

Location: Great, convenient Lower East Side, a few block from Katz's, whole foods etc but it's not very picturesque. Convenient to subways.

Would I return: Maybe....I'd get clarification on room size first.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Skyler K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2009

We stayed in midtown last year and wanted to experience a different side of New York so booked The Bowery Hotel for its location.

We booked a King but were upgraded to a Suite. The room was a good size with windows on two sides so there was plenty of natural light and a great view down The Bowery. All the windows have blackout blinds along with a ‘net’ curtain and normal curtains. The bed was extremely comfortable with luxurious soft cotton bedding. The mini bar contained everything you might want. It was great having windows which open, although we didn’t open them at night as it was too noisy. The hotel decor is sort of ‘old England’ and a bit dark, which is not really my thing.

The staff were ok. There’s an exercise room available. You get complimentary wifi and a newspaper every day, along with a little tray of sweet bits with the turndown service. The bathroom toiletries are good quality. We didn’t try the restaurant or lounge as there were too many other places we wanted to look at but both seemed to be busy every evening.

A few gripes - the bathroom was a bit on the snug side; the shower looked grubby and tired; the ceiling mounted ‘waterfall’ shower head was partially blocked so sent water spraying in all directions; this type of shower head is fine if you want to wash your hair every time you shower, but if not it’s a problem.

The hotel is in a great location for getting to all the downtown areas including Greenwich Village, Soho, etc. Bleecker Street subway is just around the corner. There are several really good restaurants within walking distance which I’ve reviewed separately.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank BugLet
baltimore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2009

I'll keep this brief. The Bowery is nice. I liked it. In fact, I have no complaints other than the fact that my husband and I payed $475 a night for a King room (no taxes, etc. included)...no frills. I was fine with the price. I just didn't think it was worth it. The room was not as large as I anticipated and I was not entirely pleased with the location. Yes, I know...I agreed to the price and location when I chose the hotel. I would definitely stay at a W or at the New York Palace Hotel if I were visiting NY again. More bang for the buck and much better location. If you DO stay at the Bowery though, check out Il Buco around the corner. Great restaurant.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jenniferlcordes
down south
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2009

I find it interesting that the common social economic group this hotel wants to diffrentiate is the 30 somehting group. It was not welcoming to our group of griends in the lobbly and I found it quite odd. I believe it's or the "see and be seen crownd".

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank lulumagnolia
pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2009

Stayed at The Bowery for a Saturday night of fun with my husband and some friends. We normally book with points at the W Union Square but decided to try the Bowery for my husbands birthday. We were not disappointed! Great old feel to the hotel and amazing, friendly staff. Didn't have the 'corporate' vibe most front desks have these days. Rooms were bigger than I expected and had a unique feel to them. Bed was fantastic, so comfortable.
The location is perfect! We are not as familiar with this neighborhood so we had fun exploring! So close to Bleecker and great nightlife. Neighborhood is a little gritty but somehow it's in a good way. Very laid back hotel/neighborhood and I would recommend it in a heartbeat! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travlnmompa
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2009

Spent sometime selecting this hotel as there was a number of hotels in this price bracket that were appealing but the reviews were perfect. Fab decor, great service on the desk, beautiful rooms, room service amazing. At the time of our stay a number of VIPs were also guests, which seemed to cause stress to the staff. As a guest staying there at the same time, we were made to feel less than welcome in certain areas of the hotel that are normally excessible to all guests. This was unfortunate and took a little shine off our otherwise wonderful stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank korkybuz
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2009

We've visited New York a couple of times before, we've done the whole staying near Times Square and Central Park thing, and we wanted a more "genuine" experience this time so decided to look for a hotel in the NoHo / SoHo / Greenwich area. The Bowery's location was perfect - a short walk to so many great shops, bars and restarants, and easy to get elsewhere in NY from the subway stops a few minutes walk away at Bleecker Street & Lafayette Street, or Houston Street & Lafayette Street. Incidentally, it's a great walk all along Bleecker Street to the Meatpacking District.

On arrival, we were immediately assisted out of our taxi by a very smart doorman. We arrived an hour ahead of the 3pm check-in time, and the room wasn't ready until 3, which was fair enough; however our bags were taken up for us and within seconds we were offered a drink, which was great after the trip over from London.

The room was a standard Queen, but after reading reviews on this site I'd requested a "tub with a view room", and this request had been honoured, which in itself was impressive. The room was brilliant. I wouldn't say it was small, but certainly not large - think compact - everything required was fitted in nicely, without much extra space. It was fine for our 4 night stay. The view we had was awesome - it was a corner room on the 10th floor with a view straight down Bowery to the south, and also across to the west. The view from the bathroom was also amazing - there's nothing better to remind you that you're in New York than looking down on a street with constant activity and lots of yellow taxis!

The rooms do differ in their views, but I understand they're very consistent in their design and amenities. The floor-to-ceiling windows offer lots of light and enhance the views, yet there are full curtains, privacy gauze curtains and also blackout blinds, so you can satisfy whatever night-time darkness levels you like. Amazingly for a modern hotel, the windows open allowing fresh air in, which I love - there was a trade-off with the noise from Bowery below but that's your choice - with the windows closed the noise wasn't an issue. The air con / heating unit in our room also worked effectively, and was quieter than most. The minibar and snacks tray contained everything you'd expect and lots more, from guides to New York to condoms to an umbrella! All rooms have a rain shower, and ours was great. The bathroom was large, and the "tub with a view" rooms such as ours have huge tubs which you really can sit in and watch the world going by on the street below. There's a clever system of shower curtains on both the internal and the window sides of the tub for privacy when taking a shower. If you're on a romantic break, get one of these rooms, open the champagne from the mini-bar (champagne glasses provided as standard), light the supplied candle, and enjoy!

The doormen, porters, reception and bar staff were all consistently friendly. I don't think there were ever less than three people on reception, and there was never any wait at all. They all talk to each other with radios, and if reception need a porter to move your bags then he'll be there in seconds. The maids are polite to the point that they once got out of an elevator on the wrong floor just so we could fit in, which was embarassing but evident of a very effective "customer comes first" policy. Most of the staff in the hotel are young and all seemed very enthusiastic to help.

The lobby area is great for a quiet beer / coffee during the day, and becomes an extension to the busy bar in the evenings. It's a very pleasant environment in which to relax or meet others. The whole hotel is only a couple of years old, but has been designed to look much older - think wooden panelled walls, age-darkened mirrors and subdued lighting. We like staying in luxury hotels, but we hate the snobbish, pretentiously superior attitude which so often goes with them. There's none of that here - it's genuinely friendly, and you'll fit in just fine whether you're suited and booted, or wandering round in a shirt and jeans.

There seem to be two room rates - a standard rate for bookings in the next couple of months ($425 for the queen rooms) and a discounted rate for bookings further ahead ($325 for the queen rooms). From what I know of NY hotel prices, $425 is slightly expensive, but actually it's entirely worth it because of the excellent service from very friendly staff. If you can get the $325 price then it's an absolute bargain. We booked only a few weeks ahead so paid the $425 rate, and we looked at the W hotel in Union Square as an alternative, but although rooms were availble there at a lower rate, the reviews on this site indicate that the W hotel has problems with their levels of service / staff attitude, and with consistency of room quality. I don't believe you'll find those problems at The Bowery.

We didn't eat at Gemma, the italian restaurant attached to the hotel, but only because we had a pre-prepared list of places we really like already. Gemma was busy every night, and it looked extremely nice - we would definitely eat there another time. They have tables out on the pavement when weather permits.

Really, we couldn't fault this place, not even on the "little things". If you're looking for a hotel in this part of NY with really good service, very comfortable rooms, great showers, good views (at least on request), a good bar and restaurant, a great atmosphere where you're almost certain to fit in, an elegant feel and modern facilities then just book it - you won't regret it. And if you book ahead and get the lower room rates then I can't believe you'll find anywhere which comes close in quality for the same price.

We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple