“Neat boutique hotel”
Review of The Bowery Hotel

The Bowery Hotel
Ranked #133 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I felt like I was staying in the guest room in my gradmother's house, mostly in a good way. This hotel would have felt terribly dated 10 years ago, it's hipster-chic and cool again. (Picture doilies resting on an arm chair and you get the idea.) I must have gotten an ADA-accessible room because the shower had no type of barrier, only a curtain, so my bathroom floor was a total mess. Very little space in the bathroom, but the room was spacious by New York standards. The room service for breakfast was great, and the bar was fun at night.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Bowery Hotel

Reviewed August 25, 2013

It is very difficult to choose a hotel to stay in New York - I don't use lifts(elevators) so the choice is even more difficult. I chose the Bowery as we wanted to stay in a slightly different area of New York and because it is has rooms starting on the 3rd (UK 2nd) floor so I can walk to the room using the stairs. In the end they put us on the 4th (UK 3rd) floor as there was a loud party and the noise travels to the 3rd floor.
Good Points:
- good toiletries, nice fittings, excellent minibar for things you might need, 24 hour room service (good for jet lag)-
- good decor in keeping with the area, feels like a speakeasy, feels very New York
- excellent shower - one of the best we have all used
- Big TV, DVD selection
- the corner rooms are lovely (e.g. 413) but much more expensive than our second room
- average street noise for New YOrk, it is nice that the windows open
- comfortable king bed

Not so good points:
- fiddly lighting (not so good when you are jet lagged)
- staircases are grubby, lots of cleaning materials, people's room service food trays, sheets, etc
- several dilapidated buildings nearby, this area is still being renovated - there is a new art museum nearby and I used A Stylists Guide to New York to find several lovely small shops in the area
- remember to add in all the taxes to the bill
- I didn't have a great deal of confidence in the ability of the front desk
- you can still here noise from parties on the 4th floor

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LAW64
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I have stayed at The Bowery more than a dozen times since it opened and have found that it gets better with each visit. Very convenient if most of your NYC business and going out is downtown. The immediate area does not always feel the most salubrious but a short walk away is Broadway, Soho and some great local restaurants (Il Buco, Freemans, Pulinos) not to mention the hotel's own Gemma (although if you are staying there, only worth it for room service and breakfast).

Definitely feel it is quite a young clientele and not the kind of 5* my parents might enjoy. A bit too trendy for the more mature, luxury traveller IMO - but unlike The Standard, it is more inclusive here - decor is comfy with old fashioned styling. Great for celebrity watching in the bar - I have seen most of young Hollywood in here at some point. Lovely outside garden bar.

Staff are young, beautiful, very attentive and always remember your name, which is great attention to detail. Always very amenable to requests.

The rooms can vary a bit - I normally stay in a corner room which is smallish but has 2 walls of floor-to-ceiling windows and a stand alone bath - this for me is the best of all the standard rooms, as the views are incredible. I (or friends) have had other rooms with different layouts and have never enjoyed the experience as much - I usually switch rooms as soon as I can. Most comfortable bed I have ever slept on.

Feel like it's best avoided during NYFW, as it feels like a real business hotel - and not in a good way.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This is a late review.

We stayed here in late September 2012 in a King room.

The downtown view from our room was spectacular. We requested a corner room which was a good choice.
The room fit out was fresh and well executed.
We particularly liked the location and found there was plenty to do in the local area.
The hotel restaurant and bar area were great.

Next time I come to NYC I will stay here.

Room Tip: Get a corner room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Elphenstone
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Love this place. Great beds (honestly, supremely comfortable) and great location. Easy access to mid-town and Soho. Great bar (especially the garden out the back). Highlight though were the staff - couldn't have been more helpful (see the photo of the chap hailing us a cab in the middle of the heaviest rain I've seen in years). Will defintely stay again. Recommeded without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. My only criticim is the normal rooms are on the small side.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BentSpoon
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is the first hotel I have ever stayed in that I didn't have one complaint. Not one. The room service was better than most of the restaurants I ate at around here, the Internet was included and very fast. The attention to every little detail was a welcomed change in a very cookie cutter world of traveling and living out of hotels. I would recommend this hotel to everyone and will now use this to compare other hotels I stay at.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Zackdft
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have stayed at The Bowery multiple times, but recently stayed a few nights ago & had another absolutely amazing stay!!- the hotel is incredible & my favorite hotel in downtown New York!

I stayed in 909 for this stay & my room was so amazing! It's on the corner, with 2 walls of Floor-to-Ceiling factory style glass windows with an amazing view of the city, including the stunning new Freedom Tower- awesome view & really stunning at all hours, especially at night! On one side, I could also see the Empire State Building! The details at this hotel are what makes the place really special:

-the CO Bigelow bath amenities that smell of Lavender & Mint, including Bubble bath.
-the little tube of Marvis toothpaste in the bathroom.
the absolutely amazing soaking tub with incredible rain fall shower with insane pressure!!
-the well-stocked mini bar
-cool wooden floors
-lovely rugs that are soft to the touch.
-the little tray of cookies given at turndown service that are really delicious!:)
-the soft sheets & amazing bed
-the cool ceiling fan
-the lovely design details in the room
-sleek Flat Screen Samsung TV that worked very well
-windows that open for Fresh air
-original keys that you can leave with the Front Desk when popping out for the day
etc, etc......

I just love this hotel- the vibe is incredibly chill, with a hip, yet homey vibe. Cool people work in the hotel including extremely charming doormen who are super cool, lovely Front Desk agents, very nice room service servers, sweet housekeeping attendants- everyone is so nice! In particular, Ross is an amazing bellman & super nice! & Abbey & Gigi at the Front Desk are lovely; there was also another young boy who was working the PM shift on 7/24 at the front desk...I didn't get his name, but he was very gracious & kind & also was very nice to give me a 1pm checkout. Dan in reservations is awesome! He typically makes my reservations & makes the process so smooth! Everyone here rocks!!

The food is amazing including an absolutely amazing Roasted Chicken from Room Service, delicious Paninis from the Lobby bar for Lunch, fantastic Hazelnut Gelato, amazing Freshly pressed Orange Juice for Breakfast, & a really fantastic Arugula Salad with Fresh Parmesan- I had amazing meals while staying!

If you want to be in the area of New York, I'd strongly recommend staying at The Bowery! It's incredibly unique & so different from any corporate chain hotel. This is my second home in NYC, even though I live here.....it's my favorite place in New York!

Best,