WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #149 of 478 Hotels in New York City
Boston
“Bowery Hotel is a gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2007

We celebrated our 10-year anniversary with a two-night stay at the Bowery Hotel. Even though we were in the least-expensive room class (standard queen), the room was spacious, luxuriously appointed with a huge bathroom that had an incredible soaking tub, and we had two walls of floor-to-ceiling windows. Pluses: the clientele was a bit older (40+) -- lots of Europeans, too. I was happy to be in a hotel with this mix, as I was concerned that my husband and I might feel a bit long in the tooth at such a hot boutique hotel. The staff was incredibly accommodating and courteous. Gemma, the hotel's restaurant, served a great breakfast at a reasonable price. The neighborhood is vibrant and hip -- still a little seedy, but we like that mix. The little cajun restaurant on Great Jones, across from the hotel, was cozy and delicious (and reasonable!). The minuses (not enough for me to give the hotel less than five stars, though): the neighborhood is noisy. Perhaps it was the windows (that I wouldn't want to do without!), but Bowery is a very busy thoroughfare, and the honking taxis seemed to be bustling into the wee (read 3 a.m.) hours of the night. Some people might want a fancier neighborhood, but we love the vibrancy of this area. Yes, the room was pricey ($495/night), but we could have spent the same money elsewhere in Manhattan and gotten a lot less. I'd highly recommend this hotel ... but selfishly I want to keep it a secret! ;o)

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank gem21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2007

I am what my husband affectionately (I hope!!) refers to as high maintenance whereas I prefer "particular" as a description and we both think this hotel is fantastic . The room (yes not huge but this is NY norm) was made to feel spacious as a result of the gorgeous floor to ceiling factory windows and our room over looked the financial district skyline, there was crisp white bed-linen and a lovely bathroom (request a bath otherwise you will get only a shower). The overall standard of service was excellent and the reception staff were incredibly knowledgeable and helpful - every recommendation (restaurants, diners and shops) were spot on. We found the location ideal in that you could walk everywhere - Greenwich Village just 10 minutes away and metro line 3 minutes walk away. We have stayed up-town before and would now always chose this location (mid-town) for return visits as you are close enough to the action but able to have some down time too. Be aware that this is in an urban regeneration area so there is a salvation army shelter on the block and it has a vibey and up and coming feel to it - not polished and perfect so avoid if this is not your thing! The bar/lounge area is very trendy and nice to sit by the fire at the end of the day. Only small fault was that we had a quick snack (could only chose from the room service menu at that time) in the lounge one afternoon and the food was average (pasta way under-cooked and crisp) but the restaurant was always full so this could have just been a once off thing or as a result of it being from the room service menu. Couple of recommendations of things to do: Greenwich food tour (great 3 hour walking tour of Greenwich village and its eateries with sampling), any sporting event at Madison Square Garden (we saw the NY Knicks which were terrible (!) but it is real theatre and well worth going to), Indochine Restaurant (5-10 minutes walk from the hotel) for great thai fusion food and cocktails, Smith and Wollensky for an amazing steak (book on the internet before you go as it is very busy and ask for a booth table) and finally Balthazar for a lovely breakfast in a lavish NY setting. Enjoy and do not hesitate to stay at the Bowery hotel - we certainly won't be staying anywhere else when we return to NY.

• Liked — Room and service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank JTGBerkshire
Westchester County, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2007

My husband and I recently spent one night at the Bowery Hotel. First of all, the decor is stunning. Somehow they have managed, as a brand new establishment, to pull off the ambience of a venerable NYC institution (think the Algonquin) while still being contemporary. The rooms hold many nice touches. I am fussy about light, and I particularly appreciated the numerous lighting options and settings. Also loved the floor-to-ceiling window with a great view of the City and its lights. We kept saying that our room somehow reminded us of our former Manhattan apartment, but we didn't know how or why. Now I realize it probably was because we weren't in midtown, and the view of the neighborhood had that, well, neighborhood feel. The minibar held some unique choices (and definite firsts), as well. As others note, the Bowery staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. I don't know where else I have come across staff members -- reception, bellhops, housekeeping, waiters -- who seem so genuinely (as opposed to obsequiously) happy to greet you. The one downside (for us) is that the hotel is just a little too self-consciously "hip" at the moment.

As hotel guests, we were able to make last-minute reservations at the hotel restaurant , Gemma (which is surprisingly affordable). And despite the fact that it was absolutely packed when we arrived, with many people waiting for tables, the staff saw to it that we were seated right at the appointed hour. (Warning: average age is about 30!)

Stayed November 2007
8 Thank LillianV
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2007

I've stayed in around 30 hotels in New York and spend about 6 months a year traveling and living in hotels and i can honestly say this is the best hotel i have ever stayed in, the staff are amazing the rooms are amazing, the location is amazing, i would suggest this hotel to anyone no matter what you are going to New York for.

• Liked — The view from the bathroom and the amazing 6ft deep tub.
  • Disliked — No Gym
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank SidLee123
Here :)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2007

This is a fabulous hotel. It is the fourth hotel I've tried in New York - but is by far the best.

The first thing you notice when you check in is the friendly and helpful service - with a rare sincerity that you don't often see in New York.

I had a smaller room, as I was travelling alone - but it was wonderful. It was cosy, comfortable and had a great feel to it.

There is a wonderfully comfortable bar down in the lobby area with a fire and what looks like a great outdoor area for summer. (It was way too cold to go outside this time.)

The hotel's food is provided by the Italian restaurant attached to the hotel. It is great food, and a great restaurant - although a little pricy for breakfast.

I also loved the location. Previously we have stayed midtown - where most of the hotels are. The location of this hotel feels far more authentic to the New York experience and is within walking distance of ome great locations, restaurants and cafes.

If I had one complaint about the hotel it is the showers. On the plus size they are huge (and not in a bathtub - why do all hotels do that?). On the negative side it only has one of the those rainshower heads which are on the high ceiling. When I wanted to wash my hair, I found it too high for the water pressure to be close to good enough; and when I didn't wash my hair, the water splashed everyhere.

But overall, the hotel is fabulous - a bohemian hideaway providing an authentic New York experience. I look forward to staying there again.

• Liked — The cosy feel
  • Disliked — The shower heads
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo