“Great location”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca
Ranked #173 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 16, 2010

I liked this Hilton Garden Inn very much. The staff (especially housekeeping) really helped to make me feel welcome. I stayed for 5 nights to experience NYC. The location is great, as the hotel is located above the Canal St. subway stop. Buying an unlimited 7 day transit (subway & bus) pass is well worth the $27 cost. My room was right on 6th St. on the second floor above the restaurant. I heard no noise from the restaurant & minimal street noise. The little noise/vibration that there was came from the train, but even this was minimal.

Housekeeping was excellent each day. Towels & toiletries were refreshed & the room was always cleaned. The front desk staff was very accommodating and pleasant.

I've heard quite a bit about NYC hotel rooms being tiny. This was just the opposite. My king bed room was about the same size as other Hilton Garden Inn's I've stayed at in the past. Plenty of room for two people. Only complaint is that the bathroom is pretty small (but functional).

There are many good restaurants within a 5 to 10 minute walk. Greenwich Village and SoHo are both within 15-20 minutes away by foot. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay in a locale that isn't right in the heart of Manhattan (but is very convenient to public transportation).

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank coso333

Reviewed April 14, 2010

I stayed here for a week and plan on returning on future trips. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms are big enough for NYC and very clean. The beds are great and are the best hotel beds I have slept in. Location is perfect too, with the subway right around the corner, about a minute away.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank displacedandrew
Reviewed April 13, 2010

I stayed here for a solo "Mommy's getaway" courtesy of my husband's Hilton Honors points. I was pleased to see that the photos and room descriptions completely matched what we saw on the website. The staff was professional, helpful, and pleasant, as you'd expect from a Hilton. I arrived 2 hours early, but was allowed to check in early and my room was far more spacious than other hotels in this price range. Very airy, pleasant, clean, plenty of closet space, and large windows overlooking the neighborhood. Other pluses were free internet access, the in-room coffemaker, the mini fridge, and tons of premium movie channels on the flat screen TV. Downstairs there was all day coffee and tea at no extra charge. Bed and linens plush and cozy- I had a great sleep, and as a solo woman traveler, also felt very safe in this hotel.

Only disappointment was the adjoining restaurant- wait staff seemed not up to HIlton's standards, both at breakfast and at Happy Hour. I know it's Tribeca, so perhaps only the trendy people get smiles and immediate attention. Brunch was substandard to what I've experienced at a free breakfast buffet, so I passed and asked the front desk for a bakery recommendation nearby and was more than pleased at her suggestion. There are tons of great restaurants nearby, so I'd just avoid the in house restaurant on my next stay here.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank LynnKinnelonNJ
Reviewed April 10, 2010

If you're on a budget and you can get a great deal here - the rates seem to vary pretty drastically, but I'd imagine that's relative to the rates elsewhere in NYC, too - then snap it up. I've seem some very reasonable prices here, and the location is perfect. Even if you're not interested in downtown Manhattan (and why wouldn't you be?), the A/C/E trains are right outside the door.

If price isn't a major issue, then this place isn't a slam dunk. The bed was quite literally the most uncomfortable hotel bed I've slept on in at least ten years. The bedding was even shoddy. The blackout curtains in my room didn't actually cover the entire (small) window, rendering them useless. And there's no room service, which under most circumstances wouldn't be that big a deal since the place is surrounded by eateries and bars (and delivery options are plentiful), but sometimes you just want a no-brainer evening with room service and a movie (of which there are none on demand either - standard cable).

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank onthelanai
Reviewed March 22, 2010

i visited at september 09 , and i've great deal on net , normally little bit expensive, but my deal is best hotel is New , all things is ok. You can try .

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank drleo66
Reviewed March 11, 2010

This is a nice little hotel which is clean, well located and efficiently run. We chose it from Tripadvisor after reading all the reviews and agree with the positive comments posted.
It is not a family run, cosy, boutique type of place, but had more of a busy, slightly businessy feel. There were a few business people heaving heavy sighs at the teenagers on Facebook in the computer room - but it was perfect for us. The location is fantastic and we enjoyed walking everywhere from the front door or alternatively have the option of being able to take a train from right outside. Noise was not a problem at all and I have to say that I have NEVER had such a comfy bed in all my life. Apparently there is some scientific stuff going on with the mattress, and if so my response is that it was pretty brilliant. Hotel staff were friendly and courteous, which is all we required of them. Facilities were good. Look out for the free treat in the reception area. Coffee in the morning, warm cookies in the afternoon. Very nice.
We all agreed that we would return to this hotel like a shot because of:
The location
The comfort
The general standard you get for the price that you pay.
Top tips:
Give the taxi driver the right advice on how to find the hotel just as everyone has mentioned already.
Go for a short stroll down Canal Street to the plethora of market stalls for all your cheap "knock off" souvenirs and genuine imitations.
Visit The National Comedy Theatre for the best family fun night out. Just great! We pre-booked tickets in London to go were there on Halloween and had the best time. They obviously throw themselves into whatever the current seasonal celebration is.
We had breakfast several times at "The Square Diner" just a few blocks away from the hotel, which was perfect in every way and an all round American experience.
Catch the Statin island ferry (free) and go visit a brilliant little authentic Greek restaurant called "Papouli's". Spinach and Feta Omelette - nom nom.
Don't waste your money on any of those "New York Attraction Passes" which we considered for a while. It really isn't worth it. You learn so much more about the city just by walking and looking, and lots of things are free. (Grants Tomb, Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park) Just pay for the things you really want to do. The only entry fee we ended up paying was for the Empire State building.

I looked for some photos of the hotel but we didn't take many mainly because we went there to enjoy the city, which we did. The hotel provided us with a safe and comfortable place to crash out at the end of each day. New York is a fabulous city and we felt incredibly safe whilst there. Police presence was visible all the time. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Annie2008UK
Reviewed February 20, 2010

I searched numerous hotels for a decent price for a week's stay and this hotel won because of price, size, and location. It was my understanding that hotel rooms in NY tend to be very small. I found our room to rather large with plenty of space to walk around. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was quite ample. The location in Tribeca was good to be in the NYC vicinity without all the noise of Time's square and such. It was very quiet. There is a subway station right next to the hotel which made it easy to get everywhere we wanted to go. The only complaint is that there are not any restaurants for a quick bite nearby. Little Italy is about a mile down the road and is an easy walk, but if you just want to grab something quick, you'll have to go elsewhere or pay for a much pricier meal.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family