“Friendliest Staff in NYC”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca
Ranked #172 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Hotel is nicely located in Tribeca, with Canal a street away, Mulberry street 10 min away (walking) and Battery park about a 20 min walk. The best attribute of this hotel was it's staff. Extremely helpful and polite. The rooms were nothing spectacular. A little run down, but still clean. Stayed over for two nights and really no complaints, had a nice stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
PJ G, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Dear TheAnthony,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay via Tripadvisor. I'm very happy to hear that our staff made a big difference in your stay. I will definitely share this wonderful feedback with them to inspire them to work harder and better! I do hope that this brings you back to our property on your next vist to NYC! We would love to serve you again!

All the best,

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca

Reviewed May 26, 2014

This is a clean, comfortable hotel located in one of the most desirable locations in America - right in the middle of Tribeca, at a convenient and pleasant spot in New York. This sort of location should demand a premium rate, and it does. But premium rates also require premium input from the property owners. In this case, it means staff and infrastructure. This hotel is bright and clean, but it lacks staff. It is the Hampton Inn model, with fewer staff asking more of guests, who, in return, should get a discounted price.

But the price here is in no way discounted. Instead, it is consistently at the high end of the range, making it at least as expensive as Hilton brands with ample desk staff, engineers, housekeeping and bell personnel that this hotel sorely lacks. $400+ per night rates are more the exception than the rule. This hotel has a serious infrastructure problem. Only two elevators serve the entire hotel and there is no service elevator, which means guests share the elevators with housekeeping and service, which virtually doubles their load. This leads to incredible wait times at elevators as cars meticulously stop at every floor on the way up and down. When one elevator is out of service, as it was during my stay, a simple trip up to and down from the lobby is a minimum investment of 20 minutes. Nothing is posted informing guests of this issue, it must be deduced. If a hotel were undergoing a major renovation that severely inconvenienced guests, the ordinary thing to do is announce it on the frontpage of the website, inform travelers in advance, and discount rooms accordingly during renovation. But in the case of this hotel, it seems simply to hope no one notices.

Housekeeping goes on all day, thankfully, but without service elevators, housekeeping is evident all day. Trash bags line the hallways. Service carts block halls on each floor all day and into the night. Loud radios crackle outside rooms. As mentioned, housekeeping must work hard and use guest elevators which leads to constant stops and trundling of service carts in and out of elevator cars. They do their job - the rooms are clean - but at what price?

Before you book here be sure to ask about the state of the elevators. When one car goes down it is a 50% loos of elevator capacity in a hotel already sorely lacking in such capacity and I promise, will lead to a frustrating stay. Staff are polite and hard working. But what chance do they have at pleasing their customers when the ownership is trying to skirt by without the capital improvements any "premium" hotel desperately needs?

Bottom line: Do not pay a premium for this hotel, it needs to be at a material discount to its peers in this part of New York. Any place would be better at this price. This property simply needs to invest, or else cut prices severely.

Room Tip: Ask for lower floors to mitigate elevator issues.
2  Thank Tim B

Dear Tim B,

We greatly apologize for the unnecessary frustrations you experienced. Our goal is to meet and exceed every guests' expectations and we are terribly sorry we failed to do so on your visit. We would love the chance to further discuss your stay. Please feel free to reach out to us at your earliest convenience.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Great stay. Got a great deal online, and spent 8 nights here. Great location. The Subway is 25 feet from the door. Short walks to World Trade Center, The Financial District, Soho, Little Italy, Chinatown, and Greenwich. The staff were all very friendly. We were early for check-in (by about 3 hours), but they got us in a room right away! Our desk clerk at check-in (Kevin) was very nice and made us feel very welcome. He suggested a few places to see in the neighborhood that I may be interested in (I asked him about live music venues).

The elevator to the room took a while, as they are operating on one elevator only (the other one is broken... apparently for some time), but when we did get to our room, we were very pleased. Although we didn't have much of a view, we did have a spacious room (by NY standards). Had a fridge, a king bed, and a reasonably spacious bathroom. Room was clean, bed was comfortable.

Restaurant was empty when we had our complimentary breakfast. It was okay, but probably not something I'd pay for (at $16.95/pp). Again, the waitress was very friendly and accommodating.

Not sure about the fitness center. Around 6 machines, weights and bench, and a couple of floor mat spots. On one hand, the equipment all worked great, and was very clean. Love that.. No ventilation or fans. Overheated pretty quickly! Didn't like that so much. A couple of fans in that space could go a long way. Did enjoy having the opportunity to work out just the same.

The staff (from the restaurant to the front desk, to the housekeepers), were all very friendly and helpful! I really liked this hotel and would recommend this spot to anyone travelling to NY and wanting to stay somewhere with easy access to everywhere. Thanks to the staff/management!!

Room Tip: Low floor if the elevator isn't fixed (I took the stairs a lot), View?
2  Thank caltoth

Dear caltoth,

I'm very glad to hear that you truly enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Garden Inn - Tribeca. Thank you very much for the very nice and detailed comments written via Tripadvisor. I will make sure to share them all with our staff. We do hope that you stay with us again when you return to NYC. We would love to have you back!

All the best,

Reviewed May 21, 2014

3rd time at the HGI in Tribeca. LOVE THIS PLACE. Clean, comfortable, perfect location in SOHO/Tribeca.Subway station 25 feet away. Rooms are HUGE (for NY standards). Hotel facilites are great: business center, gym, coffee served all day in lobby, AOA restaurant--great bar and food. Price is always right--just shop it. Still--what makes this place so wonderful is the people. Vincent Capobianco and the entire desk staff (Joseph) are tops! Helpful, fun, knowledgeable and always go out of their way to make our stay perfect. Can't wait to go back in August when I bring my daughter back to school!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
PJ G, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Dear TrolleyDodger,

Thank you for rating your stay in the Hilton Garden Inn - Tribeca 5 stars! It was a pleasure having you here for the third time. Thank you for the wonderful comments. I have shared them with our staff especially with Vincent and Joe, and they are delighted with them. We look forward to having you back in August!

King Regards,

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Being a loyal Hilton Honors member for years, this is the most disappointing stay I've had in a Hilton chain hotel. My room was dirty, bed linen not changed and dirty towels in the bathroom. Hotel had only one working elevator so I had to carry my luggage to the third floor. I also noticed a large jar of lemons in the lobby that were about to become moldy. Recommend finding another place to stay. For $400 per night, over-priced and under-valued.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
1  Thank rstimpy

Dear rstimpy,

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I understand that you encountered an opportunity with the cleanliness of your guestroom and I sincerely apologize for this. This is one of the areas that we are very vigilant in to ensure comfort and satisfaction for our guests. I'm so sorry that we were unable to meet expectations and based upon your review I am actively participating with our housekeeping staff to ensure cleanliness throughout the property is our highest priority. I hope that if you travels bring you back to the area that you will consider staying with us again so we may better demonstrate the value and quality you deserve.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

I usually stay in midtown when I stay in Manhattan, and this was my first time staying in Tribeca. I should say that the hotel is really about a block away from Soho rather than in the center of Tribeca. Noteworthy: the 8th Avenue (A C E) subway stop is literally steps away from the front door of the hotel, which is terrific. The hotel was also easy walking distance to my conference at BMCC (right on the Hudson), so that was terrific also.

I am a Hilton Honors member, and that might have played a part in my getting a room with a view. It was a delightful view facing Avenue of the Americas. I highly recommend it. I found the room to be a typical size for a worthy Manhattan hotel, which is to say that it suited me fine. I had a king bed and had the option of changing the dial to make it firmer/softer, but I did not need to use the dial.

Nearby amenities include shopping and a terrific little coffee place right across the street, "Crave." Again, the water is within easy walking distance.

If I were to stay in this part of the city again, I would definitely stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Trixie R

Dear Trixie R,

Thank you for taking time out to share your comments about your recent stay. I very glad you had a terrrific time! Thak you for putting us in your "considered" list of hotels in New York City. We look forward to having you back!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Loved this hotel. Room a tad small but super clean and modern with an amazing location. Will definitely stay here again. One small hitch was a broken elevator. Problem could and should have been fixed sooner.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
PJ G, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear susyparkbea,

Thank you for rating your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn - Tribeca five (5) stars!!! I'm very glad that you loved our hotel and the location. I will definitely share your comments and ratings to my staff. I do apologize about the elevator. We're working double time to make sure it gets up and running. I really hope for your return. We would love to have you back!

Kind regards,