“Great location, good service”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca
Ranked #176 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Our overall experience with this hotel was good. The beds are quite comfortable and the hotel rooms are clean. The location is perfect if you want to stay away from the hustle & bustle of Times Square. There are loads of great restaurants and shopping in the area, including the hotel's restaurant. Parking was $55/day which wasn't too bad compared to other hotels. We had an issue on our first night, too much noise since our room was near the elevator and stairwell. However after complaining the next morning our room was changed and we received complimentary breakfast passes. It was handled perfectly. Overall, we would recommend this hotel and stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca

Reviewed April 28, 2014

This is my second time staying at this hotel. I like the location. It's very easy to get to other parts of the city from here. The A,C,E lines are literally right out the front door and another set of lines are 1.5 blocks away.

I stayed here the first time largely because it was a good price and had gotten good reviews on TA and I had a wonderful experience. But this trip things seemed a little different at the hotel. The staff weren't quite as engaging as the first time, albeit still friendly. On my first visit the front desk staff always asked about the day's events, etc and would strike up a conversation if they weren't busy when you came in the front door.

The room rates were up nearly 50% since I last stayed in August 2013.

One of the two elevators wasn't working for the entire 3 days I stayed and the elevators are slow to begin with so you ended up standing in the lobby for quite a few minutes waiting.

I had trouble finding any breakfast at the hotel or even nearby. I probably didn't search hard enough and didn't bother to ask. I usually found something on my way to my destination anyway. AOA next door had a breakfast buffet of sorts but it was about $16 and I was just looking for a cup of yogurt, a coffee and maybe a waffle i.e. quick and inexpensive. AOA used to have an express area with those sorts of items but it was gone.

And the beds, well they're are still firm as ever. Even after dialing the firmness down to the lowest level I thought they were still fairly firm. Street noise was kind of bad this time too even on the 4th floor. Plus a garbage truck banging the dumpster up & down at 5am didn't make for very pleasant sleep.

And finally housekeeping seemed short staffed. I was periodically needing the room for work calls and my Spanish wasn't good enough to work out my coming & goings well enough to get our schedules aligned. I think I only got service 1 of the 3 days I was there.

Overall I still like this place but the rates seemed similar to a lot of other hotels and for that reason I'll probably try something different on the next trip.

Room Tip: get a room away from the street and away from the elevators/stairs. Noise travels down the halls qui...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Hotel wonderful for me, as it is on top of the E train, that takes me 1 block from my office. Hotel, is clean and efficient, with very useable, but small restaurant for quick meals. Room was small, but very efficient, providing all that I needed.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Pros: comfortable bed with good linens; quiet room; windows open; small but adequate lobby Cons: somewhat difficult location due to Canal Street and bridge access; noisy fan; no breakfast availability

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stayed here for only one night. I booked this hotel because the subway to get to JFK was right outside the door (and the rate was great for NYC). We booked a room for 3 adults. The hotel is modern and the room are smaller than what I'm used to for NYC (I've stayed at mostly Marriots in NYC). My one complaint is that they do not seem to have rooms with two queen beds to accomodate 3-4 guests. Double beds only, so it's not a lot of sleeping space if you are in a room with 3 or 4 people. The elevator is painfully slow -- this seems to be a pattern in all of the NYC hotels I've stayed at over the years; this problem isn't this hotel only so I'm not going to knock off a star. We ended up taking the stairs but we were just on the second floor.

The staff was fantastic. When we were checking out and asking them to hold our bags until we needed to leave for our flight. Staff member asked us how we were getting to the airport and told him that we were going to take the subway > airtrain, and we asked for his advice on how long that would take.

He advised us that we would be better off taking a cab, otherwise we'd be commuting almost 2 hours on the train before we even reach JFK. He arranged a driver for us (in an SUV, not a cab!!) for a VERY reasonable price and we got to the airport in no time. Absolutely OUTSTANDING service!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I've typically stayed in midtown, but this hotel is centrally located, a short walk from SoHo and Little Italy, and the quietest night's sleep I've had in NYC. The staff was excellent. Rooms were great and a little larger than the typical New York shoebox. Overall, an excellent value and quite convenient.

Room Tip: Save the money and skip the "Tribeca view".
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2014

All OK. No particularly bad or good things. Hotel sits on top of entrance to A train so it's handy for anyone coming from Howard Beach/JFK SkyTrain. Small shop for bits you might have forgot or snacks in lobby. Overpriced as you'd expect in the lobby of a hotel. China town / Little Italy within 10 minutes walk, as was QNR, 4&5 and 2 Trains. I would probably stay somewhere nearer to Time Square or Central Park next time.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family