“Great people make all the difference!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca

Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca
Ranked #189 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Great people make all the difference!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

My family of four stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at the end of August. On a previous trip to NYC we had walked by and said that we would like to stay there next time and boy are we glad we did. The location was so convenient to walking around SoHo and Greenwich Village, which our teenagers really enjoyed. The Canal Street subway stop was practically next door which made our trip to the Brooklyn Bridge soooo easy. It was also very easy to get to the park that runs along the Hudson, great for an early morning run or people watching. Our room was meticulously clean and we always had plenty of towels, soap, etc. Plus it was twice the size of the room we had stayed in at another hotel. We ate breakfast twice in the AOA restaurant. All you can eat for $16. A delicious buffet and then made to order pancakes, waffles or eggs. We all started the day with happy stomachs and our waitress (Jayila) could not have been nicer. The guys behind the desk (Edwin, Omar and James) were wonderful -always smiling and offering help if we needed it. The people make the difference in a hotel and these guys were super. We had one dinner at the AOA restaurant and it did not disappoint. It was simple fare but that's what we were in the mood for.

I would definitely recommend the Hilton Garden Inn and can hardly wait til our next stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner room at the back of the hotel which was very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank capturedgarden
Gayle D, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear carturedgarden, Thank you for taking the time to write this review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for recognizing our staff. We have a great team here. I will be sure to share your remarks with James, Omar, Edwin and Jaylina! Thanks again, please let us know if we can be of service in the future.

Gayle DiLorenzo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Polish first
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

One of these cheapest options we found for a group trip to NYC to watch the US Open. Can not think of a single complaint. The rooms were clean, the hotel has GREAT access to the MTA and to several downtown and midtown sights. Enjoyed the dive bar across the street and the neighborhood in general. Also, the air conditioning was really cold. After a HOT HOT weekend, it was nice to come home to a wonderfully chilly room. Coffee in the morning and cookies in the afternoon! Really a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank buckeyechic312
Gayle D, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear buckeyechic312, thanks for the great review! Please let us know if we may be of service in the future.

Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

All in all I liked this hotel.

The room was quite spacious compared to other hotels in Manhattan at which I've stayed. It was nicely and tastefully decorated. The bed was comfortable. There was a nice-sized desk area, and a big chair in which to sit. The bathroom had lots of counter space. Also, there was a big closet for clothes like a "normal" hotel room (many Manhattan hotels only have tiny wardrobes or even just hooks on the walls for you to hang clothes).

Having a fridge and a microwave was a giant plus. I shopped at the Whole Foods in Tribeca (a few blocks south of the hotel) so was able to keep juices and prepared foods cold and warm them up. And I was able to warm up take-out leftovers.

All of the staff was very friendly.

Location was just OK. Close enough to walk to the West Village, Tribeca, SoHo and even the Financial District. But, the immediate vicinity of the hotel is kind of a "no-mans-land". And, the hotel is right off of super annyoing Canal Street, which is not my favorite NYC destination.

Minor complaints: one is that the locks on the doors make a noisy clicking when closing, so you're always hearing that. Another is that housekeeping would stick a kind of rude-seeming note under the door when I slept in, letting me know I missed getting my room cleaned. The bathtub/shower was super slippery - I fell one day and hit my face and am lucky I didn't knock my teeth out. And, my room had no view of anything - just another building's brick and windows a few feet away.

But complaints I have are minor. I will definitely consider staying here again if the price is right. Especially due to the size of the rooms and having a fridge and microwave. Although next time I will pay a bit extra for a "Tribeca View Room".

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gayle D, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear keithb789, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay. My apologies for the noisy door! Kindly contact me here at the hotel so that we can discuss the details of your stay. Our guests are valuable to us and it is solely through guest feedback that we improve.

Parker, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

This is my company's cost-based location for out-of-town visitors. Other than being across the street from Pepolino's Restaurant, there is nothing exceptional about this hotel. The AOA Grill is an improvement over the prior Mexican restaurant on site, but not worth the time. I had a lunch and a breakfast there and regretted spending the money for both. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are comfortable, but if I had a choice, I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Steve M, Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Thank you for recognizing our staff. Let us know if we may be of service in the future.

Barhaven , Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Took a trip to new york last week and stayed at the Hilton Tribeca. It is a nice hotel located just off Canal St. It is also a block from the Holland Tunnel. It is next to a police station so you have to think your fairly safe.

Stayed on the weekend so parking was not to bad. We street parked only a block from the hotel. If you are lucky you can park almost at the hotel. Did not valet park the car as it can take 30 minutes or so to get your car back, and it was expensive, with no in/out option. Street parking Sunday is free.

The hotel is clean and well appointed. The lobby has complimentary coffee and tea for guests. Not there all the time so ask. In the afternoon and evening there are complimentary cookies, much like other Hilton Garden inns. This is a nice touch.

What the hotel did not have, unlike many Hilton Garden Inns, was complimentary breakfast. There is a restaurant attached to the lobby, and the food was good. The washrooms, just off the lobby were handy and clean.

The front desk staff, (Tim, Joe and Omar on our trip) were all friendly accommodating. Our room was not ready and they offered to text us to let us know when it was done. Nice touch.

The hotel is only 6 floors and 2 elevators. The wait for an elevator was not a problem. Our room was clean and a decent size as far as New York hotel rooms go. The beds were great, but only New York Hotel Queen size.

Our room had a large jacuzzi tub and good size bathroom. It included a fridge a microwave and a flat panel TV. The hotel also includes Free internet. The trade off for the large bathroom might have been that the room was on the back of the hotel and faced a brick wall. Not much of a view.

The hotel is one block form Canal St and all the shopping it affords. Walking is the way to go. There are many small cafes and restaurants in the area and a Subway sandwich shop about 5 minutes walk.

The hotel is located right above the Subway lines with a entrance almost at the Hotel door. Very fast to get around and a great bonus.

Over all the Hotel gets good marks from us. Have stayed at many Hilton Garden inns, and except for the breakfast, this ones right up there. Well priced and well located, we would stay there again.

PS; Depending on the time of day, the lineup to get into the Holland Tunnel to New Jersey can stretch all the way up Canal St and take a while to negotiate.

From the front of the Hotel your are fairly close to the tunnel. You will turn left onto Canal St at the traffic lights and only be a couple of minutes to the tunnel.

Room Tip: If available ask for a room facing the street. Sometimes no extra charge, sometimes a small addition...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank StephenJade
Dear StephenJade, thank you for your great review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks for the shout out to Tim, Joe and Omar! Please come visit us again.

northern Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

Our stay at the Hilton Garden Inn was overall very positive. The location cannot be beat. A subway stop is immediately outside the door for the A-C-E lines. Other subway stops are easy walking distance for other lines. Many good restaurants are within 2-3 blocks. It is centrally located with Soho to the north for shopping and great restaurants. Downtown is a 10 minute walk with the World Trade Center, riverfront, Battery Park, etc. Crowds are MUCH less than in tourist meccas like Times Square. Taxis were readily available at all times.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The front desk staff always greeted us warmly and they appeared to all have excellent English language skills. They were helpful in answering questions about subway tickets and also made restaurant recommendations. Cleaning staff are mostly foreign and do not speak any English. We did not try the restaurant in the hotel.

Our room was clean and comfortable. We had a nice view of the city streets- we could see to Canal Street, Avenue of the Americas and Beach Street. The room is small but this is typical of ALL New York hotel rooms. It had a small refrigerator, microwave and desk. We had plenty of drawer space. We slept great and especially appreciated that we could set the room fan to run all night as a noisemaker. We did not test the special adjustable beds.

I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to NYC.

Room Tip: Inquire about the view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank upnorthjodie
Gayle D, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear upnorthjodie, Thank you for the great review! Please do come back and visit us again.

Edmonton, Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel from July 31 to August 21, 2012. We paid for the first two weeks ourselves and the third week was on Hilton points. The first room we were given was so cramped (we had to stack our two suitcases on top of each other) and dark that after the first week or so, we asked for a larger, brighter room. The second room (430) had a huge stain on the carpet, and beat up furniture. We did stay in the second room because housekeeping was to clean the carpet. Also, my husband didn't want to spend more time moving. Moving to the second room had necessitated repacking all our things and putting the suitcases in storage in the lobby and he did not want to repeat this. It took about a week for the carpet to be reasonably cleaned although it was still splotchy. There was also a big mark on the shower wall but housekeeping was able to remove that promptly. A few days before we left, mould developed in the corner of the shower with a bad smell. Instead of cleaning the mould off, they caulked over it and the smell of mould remained. There was not even a chair to read in, just a large ottoman. At least we were able to place our second suitcase on that. The air conditioning was so loud, it was difficult to sleep. The carpets in the 4th floor hall were dirty, especially in front of the elevator.

I know there are better rooms in that hotel because I saw them when the housekeepers were cleaning. Possibly we were given a poor room because the third week was on Hilton points. I had asked for Room 412, 413 or 414 (I believe those were the numbers) and Perrin was going to let me have one of those rooms. However, Joe said no, that Room 430 was one of their better rooms and that we would be moving there. We have never had a problem with Hilton before so this experience was a great disappointment, especially since we make such an effort to collect Hilton points. I feel that we were treated shabbily despite being loyal Hilton customers.

The good things about the hotel were that the sheets and towels were pristine, the T.V. was great, there were coffee and cookies in the Lobby and the business center was very handy as well as being complementary. Perrin, Omar (reception) and Miguel (housekeeping) were very pleasant and good representatives of the hotel. I really appreciated that there was a microwave and fridge in the room. Also, we liked the location as the subway is just below the hotel. If we could get the room we wanted, we might go back and try again.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first before taking up your suitcases.
Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear AltaPat, Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I'm sorry your stay was a disappointment! We value our guests and we strive for complete satisfaction. Please contact me here at the hotel, I would like to try and make it better.