“Great value and good location”

Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea
Ranked #258 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Located close to the city centre, Holiday Inn Express Madison Square Garden, offers a good location for a tourist visit to New York. The rooms are on the small side but clean and tidy with decent linen.
Breakfast for Priority Club members can be served in room, but unfortunately only very basic items can be delivered (not even bread is included!). The breakfast though served in the busy area next to reception is more than satisfying for a budget hotel.
No major complaints at all, well recommended!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,106)

Reviewed July 12, 2009

My husband and I have traveled to NYC several times, and have stayed at a wide range of places, from the W, to the Novetel, Affinia and a tiny little scary place somewhere in Times Square. For the value, you can't beat the price and cleanliness of the Holiday Inn Express Madison Square Garden. It's just steps away from the subway - and in easy walking distance to Times Square/Broadway. I have not stayed in a room with a cleaner bathroom in NYC, period. The rooms are small, but again for less than $150 a night, in NYC, it's an incredible value (free high speed internet! - and 3 computers in the lobby for guests to use for free). Also - the morning breakfast (just wish the hours were longer) is unbeatable as far as selection - more than just cold cereal and bagels, the breakfast included mini omelets and hot sausage patties as well as cinnamon rolls. If you are trying to save money for other things like shopping and great restaurants in NYC (L'Artusi in the West Village!) then stay at this hotel! Oh - and they even let us keep our bags locked up for over 6 hours AFTER our check-out time!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2009

My family wanted to stay in NYC after a cruise vacation. I searched for affordable/clean/reliable accommodations. This hotel served the purpose. However, you do get what you pay for. I've been in bathrooms larger than our room. It was almost comical trying to navigate luggage around the room. If you have very little luggage, go for it. We had four people, three suitcases and four carry-ons and utilized the top of the armoire and every other available space. Thank goodness we really just needed to sleep.
On a positive note, the breakfast bar is very nice. In addition, they have a nice seating area in front of the hotel. It was nice to sit out there and enjoy the summer mornings and evenings. This hotel seems to be in a fairly nice/safe area. It is within walking distance to the Empire State Building and Madison Square Garden. If you do the Grayline Hop on - Hop off tours, you can hop off about 5 blocks from the hotel.
Beware...ask if your room is in the back, facing the alley. I listened to the thump thump thump of a club to fall asleep. Thank goodness I am not a light sleeper. Sound proofing was not a priority when building this hotel and I hope I woke my neighbor with the slamming of my door.
Overall, if you are traveling on a budget, this will do.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I stayed there for the 4th July holiday and it was my second at this hotel. My brother and me had a lovely stay right from the beginning!
We had a lovely and clean room on the 5th floor facing the front entrance. There was no problem sleeping at night, even with the little noise of the closing room doors.
Breakfast was really good with a lot of choices! As it is complentary you cannot ask for more! The free wifi is perfect to check your Emails or even look for some directions!
I am sure we are going to stay at this hotel the next time we'll go to NYC! For us there is no reason to stay at any other hotel in the city!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2009

I stayed in this hotel over Saint Patricks Day weekend. I got a great rate on Travelzoo. The Hotel is within an easy walk of Penn Central and is a good choice for those coming into the city by train. Their are two subways near the hotel and while it is not in one of the most stellar of neighborhoods, we felt safe walking back to our room at night. The hotel features your standard Holiday Inn express breakfast which was kept stocked. There was helpful staff who could book events for you. Rooms were tiny, but they were clean. The Hotel is in buisness area so their were few restaurants or other types of amentities close by, but plenty within a moderate walk or a subway stop away. Had a good stay in a great city and would stay again given a good deal.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2009

We arrived on Saturday night and our room was on the back side of the hotel, apparently across from a club. The music boomed until about 5 in the morning. On Sunday night, there was no music. I was asleep and the front desk called at 11:30. He told me they were working on the cable. He said the TV, internet, and phones would not work until 6 a.m. He told me to leave the phone off the hook until 6:00 a.m.

When I checked in, they gave me a number to call to have breakfast items delivered to the room (we are Priority Platinum members). Both days no one answered the number. I just received a message saying that the mailbox was full.

The people at the front desk were nice and so was the maid who fixed our roll away bed. The room was small, but I expected that after reading others reviews. The hotel was clean and the breakfast was good, crowded by good.

If they put you in a handcapped room be careful of the inside of the bathroom door. The door closes hard and fast. There is a low towel hook. The door slammed on me and the hook bruised my arm. As other people said, the doors slam a lot.

The hotel is about a five minute walk to restaurants and shopping, like Macy's. It is close to Penn Station. If you are not used to taking subways, Penn station is not an easy station to start with as it has several lines.

We had free wifi easy to set up.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Stayed at the Hotel for three nights over the Father's Day weekend. Even though the property was very crowded, the staff did a great job of keeping the breakfast well stocked. This is a nice property. We will return to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple