“Great location and value”

Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea
Ranked #262 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 19, 2014

This hotel is in a great location between 7th and 8th avenue on 29th street. A little pointer I picked up on the plane from a New Yorker is that to calculate distances to walk allow 1 minute per block, to go between 29th and 30th street is one block, to go between avenues is three blocks or 3 minutes walk. I found this very valuable when looking at maps but back to the hotel..

If you are looking for spacious hotel rooms do not travel to New York, space is at a premium! This was a girls trip and my girlfriend and I booked a room with two double beds. There was a very small stand alone closet in the room that we shared and then the dresser had three drawers so not a lot of storage space but you make due and one person lives out of the suitcase.

The rooms were clean and you have an iron, ironing board and coffee machine. There is no bar fridge as we are generally used to but you have an ice bucket so again you make due. The breakfast in the morning is fabulous and we were always able to find a nice spot to sit outside and eat and plan our adventures for that day. It was a great way to start the day and one less meal you had to plan for. This also is not your typical continental breakfast as eggs, sausage, and fabulous cinnamon buns were served along with the usual toast, cereal, yogurt, fruit etc. You were even able to get cartons of milk which was fabulous for me as I love my dairy! All day long you could stop in the breakfast area and get coffee or water which was nice also.

Toiletries and facecloths seemed to be at a premium some days but I tracked a maid down in the hall for extra shampoo and soap, so very minor issue. I post these items mainly for the purpose of the hotel as it certainly shouldn't affect anyone's choice of hotel. The location of this hotel makes it fairly quiet at night and we also had a corner room so it really made it nice for sleeping. This is something that you should probably keep in mind when booking a hotel as New York is not a quiet city and some locations, particularly on the main avenues would be quite noisy at night.

There were previous references to the condition of the carpets in the hallways and it appeared to me that the rugs had just been newly installed. The staff at the front desk were helpful whenever we had questions for them on directions and restaurant recommendations. I do not as a rule focus on the front desk staff when doing my reviews as generally my interactions with them is limited and for me it is not a determining factor in booking a hotel.

Very easy to get a taxi to head back to the airport at check out as they circle the various streets and we simply stepped out the front door and one was sitting there stuck in traffic. Now this of course will vary with the time of day and in the evening the hotel staff will recommend you walk out to 8th avenue to hail a cab particularly if you are traveling up to Times Square or taking in a show. Also the area the hotel is located in feels very safe, my girlfriend and I walked back to the hotel around midnight on a couple of occasions and felt perfectly safe.

New York hotels are not cheap, nor are any major cities, and I spent a considerable amount of time finding something in a middle of the road price range with fairly good reviews. This hotel did not disappoint, I would recommend it and I would stay there again myself.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank budsybaby
gdesoiza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Thank you very much for writing such a comprehensive review of your stay and providing tips for future guests.
According to the Taxi and Limosine Commission, every 20 block in Midtown and every 5 avenues equal a mile.
It's true (in general) that space is at a premium in NYC. So it's best to stay at a property that includes breakfast and wifi like ours.
If you choose to return and stay with us again, please know that we have complimentary refrigerators availble up request and we're alway happy to arrange extra amenities to be delivered on a daily basis.
Thanks for noticing our carpets. Our property was renovated last year and we refreshed all of our guest rooms and corridors.
We hope that you will visit us again.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea

Reviewed June 19, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by the Holiday Inn Express Madison Square Garden. this is a very busy little hotel with people,coming and going all the time. Check in was quick and my room, while very small, was comfortable, modern and clean. I liked it. New York can be a little intimidating and I found this hotel a sanctuary after a busy day. Breakfast is provided and it is fine but the small dining area fills with people very quickly. You really need to get down there by 7.00am.

The location is good. I walked to West Village and the 9/11 museum which took about 40 minutes but the walk is beautiful. The hotel is between 7th avenue and 8th avenue - the Empire State Building and shopping is only a 10 minute walk as is Times Square.

This is a short stay hotel. If I was in New York for more than a few days I think the size of the room would start to become an issue. I travelled solo so it wasn't a big issue. The staff were friendly and the internet was free. I would return.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room. At least you get some view to open up the smallish room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Thank you Mark!
We're very pleased that you found us to be a "sanctuary" in New York. We are centrally located by we're on a side street. Far enough from the hustle and bustle, but quiet enough to relax on our patios. If you do decide to return for a longer stay: Please take advantage of our free luggage storage. It's nice to get the clutter of suitcases and shopping bags out of your way.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Been here several times. Hotel s clean and comfortable. Staff has been nice. WIFI and computers in the business centr are terrible ~ I am told they are being upgraded. I. Was told that six months ago also. We'll see. Bath is clean and modern, but small. HAVE TO PUT SOAP ON COUNTER~no soap dish! YUCK! "Closet" is small and cumbersome - truly laughable design. If not for these fixable annoyances I could up the rating.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Dear JohnC33,

Thank you for writing a candid review following your recent stay. We thank you for your loyalty to our hotel, and acknowledging the service of our staff is a huge motivation for us. We are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities, therefore, it is very troubling to read that our bathroom amenities and business center fell below your expectations.

We will address these matters with the respective departments in order to these unnecessary issues in the future. We do hope you would consider staying with us again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 18, 2014

The hotel is quite nice, very helpful staff, clean, nice size rooms, great breakfast in a crowded hall, great location between the 7th and 8th avenues (for busses) and one block from the underground (line 1). Relative to hotel price in midtown, this one charges reasonably, especially for what one gets. Highly recommended for middle class visitors.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you Mookie!
We're very happy to hear that you found us to be a value in NYC. We're very proud of our location and our complimentary breakfast. Thank you for mentioning our staff and our cleanliness.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Overall the hotel isn't that bad. It was clean, the staff was very helpful and friendly, close to Penn Station and downtown, and the breakfast was great. I guess I was taken back by the size of the room and the final cost to stay. I'm not one for staying in a big city and should have known that everything was going to cost way more than I'm used to. I'm very faithful, when I can be, to the IHG hotels because I can always expect quality. I just feel that this was a little too expensive even for being in Manhattan.
One major disappointment was that one of the 2 elevators was out of commission during our stay. It was a little challenging at times to get through the line to the tiny elevator that worked. Not sure if I would come back to this hotel simply because it wasn't a good value.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear PSUfan158,

Thank you for writing a review about our property. It is nice to know that our location is convenient during your stay here. We are also glad you liked the cleanliness of the hotel, the friendly staff, and the complimentary breakfast. We are very sorry for the inconvenience regarding the elevator. As for the rates, our prices may change based on the dates, and can be competitive in this area.

As a valued guest, please be assured that all comments will be acted upon, to ensure that similar situations are avoided. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay with us more pleasurable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Me and my 2 friends stayed here for 6 nights from the 1st week of June and we thoroughly enjoyed the stay. I was skeptical as normally I stay in the more expensive hotels in NYC but I was surprisingly taken aback with this hotel. It was located in a quiet surrounding alas some noise to remind you your in NYC but that was calming for me. My room looked out to Empire State Building so I slept with an amazing view . The staff were absolutely great! So polite, so caring and so charming! Franky, Yenny, Anais, Indira, Shelly and Victor were so accommodating and made us feel so welcome. Thank you guys !! Will definitely stay here again and everything was within walking distance including the subway and Macys! Fab restaurants within walking distance ! Coffee, tea on tap which was so good as often I ended my day with tea and sitting outside watching NYC go by. Breakfast was very good and fulfilling , lots of choices , the only thing was that it was very busy and often little space for all to eat in, but we would take our breakfast outside and relax before starting our day.

They allowed us to check out a little later as we overran and they allowed us to store our luggage there til we left for the airport on the day for an evening flight . They left us cute teddies made out of pillows which was so cute !

I've recommended this to many of my friends as it's not often you find a good value hotel Central in NYC with clean rooms, comfy beds and pillows and amazing staff in a brilliant location .

Thank you guys !!!! You made our trip even more great!

Room Tip: If you don't ask, you don't get !
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you Princess B!
We really appreciate you taking the time to review our property and for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate your recommendation and especially happy to hear that our staff impressed you. We will share your comments with everyone that you mentioned in your review. We're happy to hear that you will visit us again.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

It was conveniently located just doors away from where I was working. The staff is very friendly and the rooms are nice and clean. The breakfast is very good, though a bit crowded with not enough seats at times. It is a great value compared to other NYC hotels. Easy walk to Penn Station and many stores nearby. I would definitely stay here next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Stewart S
gdesoiza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Thank you Stewart!
It's great to hear that we're in such close proximity to your work. We're pleased that you found our location so desirable, enjoyed breakfast and found comfort in our rooms.
We hope that you will choose to stay with us again; when you return to NYC.