This hotel is in a great location between 7th and 8th avenue on 29th street. A little pointer I picked up on the plane from a New Yorker is that to calculate distances to walk allow 1 minute per block, to go between 29th and 30th street is one block, to go between avenues is three blocks or 3 minutes walk. I found this very valuable when looking at maps but back to the hotel..
If you are looking for spacious hotel rooms do not travel to New York, space is at a premium! This was a girls trip and my girlfriend and I booked a room with two double beds. There was a very small stand alone closet in the room that we shared and then the dresser had three drawers so not a lot of storage space but you make due and one person lives out of the suitcase.
The rooms were clean and you have an iron, ironing board and coffee machine. There is no bar fridge as we are generally used to but you have an ice bucket so again you make due. The breakfast in the morning is fabulous and we were always able to find a nice spot to sit outside and eat and plan our adventures for that day. It was a great way to start the day and one less meal you had to plan for. This also is not your typical continental breakfast as eggs, sausage, and fabulous cinnamon buns were served along with the usual toast, cereal, yogurt, fruit etc. You were even able to get cartons of milk which was fabulous for me as I love my dairy! All day long you could stop in the breakfast area and get coffee or water which was nice also.
Toiletries and facecloths seemed to be at a premium some days but I tracked a maid down in the hall for extra shampoo and soap, so very minor issue. I post these items mainly for the purpose of the hotel as it certainly shouldn't affect anyone's choice of hotel. The location of this hotel makes it fairly quiet at night and we also had a corner room so it really made it nice for sleeping. This is something that you should probably keep in mind when booking a hotel as New York is not a quiet city and some locations, particularly on the main avenues would be quite noisy at night.
There were previous references to the condition of the carpets in the hallways and it appeared to me that the rugs had just been newly installed. The staff at the front desk were helpful whenever we had questions for them on directions and restaurant recommendations. I do not as a rule focus on the front desk staff when doing my reviews as generally my interactions with them is limited and for me it is not a determining factor in booking a hotel.
Very easy to get a taxi to head back to the airport at check out as they circle the various streets and we simply stepped out the front door and one was sitting there stuck in traffic. Now this of course will vary with the time of day and in the evening the hotel staff will recommend you walk out to 8th avenue to hail a cab particularly if you are traveling up to Times Square or taking in a show. Also the area the hotel is located in feels very safe, my girlfriend and I walked back to the hotel around midnight on a couple of occasions and felt perfectly safe.
New York hotels are not cheap, nor are any major cities, and I spent a considerable amount of time finding something in a middle of the road price range with fairly good reviews. This hotel did not disappoint, I would recommend it and I would stay there again myself.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Thank you for choosing the newly renovated Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea hotel located right in the heart of Chelsea and Madison Square Garden area. We include a complimentary hot and cold Express Start Breakfast for all guests of the hotel. Our recently refreshed 15-story high-rise hotel with amenities include free high speed wired and wireless Internet access, free local calls, fitness center, rear garden terrace and a full business center. We are just ten short blocks from Times Square. Also within walking distance is Penn Station, the Empire State Building, Jacob Javits Convention Center, Fashion Institute of Technology, Theatre District, Macy's, mid-town and 5th Avenue shopping. Rockefeller Center is just one mile away! We are also centrally located to many fine restaurants, entertainment venues and some of the finest shopping the city has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Nyc - Madison Square Garden Hotel New York City
- Holiday Inn New York City
- New York City Holiday Inn