“Great location and kind staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea
Ranked #270 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great location and kind staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

The location was great, close to Penn Station, Empire State, and Korean town.
The price was a little bit high but I think that is normal in Manhattan.
The breakfast was good.
I like the staff there, specifically one warm male staff named Victor. He was very kind and helpful.
The room was clean.
The elevator was a little bit slow.
Overall, I really like this place.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Matchumn, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Gloria W,
Thank you for rating us a Five! Our combination of location and great staff place us in the best position in New York City - breakfast included.
We look forward to your next visit.
Regards,
Matthew Dempsey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I typically seek out the more charming boutique hotels when I'm in the city, but I booked this hotel because of its central location and because I found a very affordable last minute deal. The hotel is very clean and appears newly renovated. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. Storing luggage etc was not a problem. The rooms were small, on par with other NYC hotels, but nicely furnished. The room even had a view of the Empire State Building (Rm 1110, if anyone would like to request it).

Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was my first trip to New York from England :-) I was quite anxious to find a hotel pretty central in manhattan and was very pleased with the holiday inn express location After a long flight then needing to get a train to penn station and i was pleased that the hotel was just a short walk away, the hotel was clean free tea and coffee downstairs was a bonus, check inn was quick and easy victor on reception was lovely and very helpful, the bedroom was lean very small but it is New York, the free wifi was also good, however I was disappointed to see that the rate I'd payed for my room 3weeks earlier had almost halved in price days before my arrival which really annoyed me as or what I'd payed to stay here I could have an even nicer hotel that t least had a restaurant and bar so I've learnt a lesson there not to book I advance, but other than that everything was good, I would possibly return agin at the right rate.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HappyH976
Dear HappyH976,
Thank you for your recent stay. I am glad you were able to enjoy our excellent location and take advantage of the proximity of Penn Station. Our complimentary tea and coffee and very popular with our guests. We are proud to offer it.
I hope you will choose us for your next visit to New York City.
Regards,
Matthew Dempsey
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed in hotel for 3 nights. Overall hotel was clean and quiet (In comparison to other hotels we have stayed in in NewYork) and the staff were helpful. Hotel was centrally located within easy walk of Times Square and major attractions. Tea and coffee were free in the lobby and there was a wide choice for breakfast from cooked sausages, eggs and pancakes to yogurts, cereal, toast, cake, waffles and fruit. Free Wifi was useful. Would stay here again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Maggie H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City - Chelsea, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Joseph S,

Thank you so much for reviewing your most recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Madison Square Garden! We are very pleased that you enjoyed the hotel's central location and complimentary offerings such as full breakfast and WiFi. We would certainly love to welcome you back.

Best,

Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

I spent seven very pleasant nights at this hotel. Location is excellent, a few blocks from Madison Square Garden, Penn station and Empire State Building. As other reviews warned, the room was perhaps a bit small for an American hotel, but those who have visited London will likely have seen smaller. But hey, I had a direct view of the Empire State Building from my 15th floor room.

Breakfast is American style buffet and includes bacon or sausage and fresh, hot pancakes! The pancakes do come from a machine, so don't put your hopes up very high. Still, they were alright with enough butter and breakfast syrup (which, sadly, is not the same thing as maple syrup). Guests seemed to love Holiday Inn's breakfast. The room was always full, and on weekends it resembled a mob scene.

Front desk service was excellent. I needed an Ethernet cable (not being able to use the wifi connection available in all rooms) and one was readily available. I needed a small Philips screwdriver (to fix the wifi problems) and got one right away.

My only complaint is the price. Extending my stay would have set me back over $300 a night, tax included. I found that quite steep, even for a very decent hotel in mid-Manhattan.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear abadea,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are very pleased to hear that you found our hotel ideally located near New York's best attractions. Thank you for complimenting the service we deliver to our guests. We work our hardest to deliver 5 Star Service to our patrons so it is always greatly appreciated when our work is noticed.

Please give us first consideration for a return visit! We would love to welcome you back!

All the Best,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

This was my kids first trip to NYC (18 and 15) and with the visit only lasting 2 quick days and 1 night I needed a great location in Midtown Manhattan to be centrally located - and the HIE at Madison Square Garden ended up being the perfect choice.

Details:

Day 1. We flew into Newark and took the train to NYC Penn Station for $12.75 person which dropped us off at MSG and just a few blocks from the hotel. Registration was easy and they had our room ready when we got there at 2pm. Sheila was wonderful and helped us to understand which attractions to go to first and how to navigate the subway with the map they provided (we used the local subway - Red "A" line 1). We used the subway on day one to get to Little Italy (late lunch at Luna which had great food) and Chinatown, hailed a cab from there to see the 911Memorial, and then took the subway uptown back to the hotel for a quick nap. The hotel is about a 15 minute walk down 7th Avenue to Times Square, so we spent several hours at night enjoying the sigs, sounds and lights.

Day 2. Our room had 2 double beds and was the average size for a hotel in NYC ... which is small. I paid $290 for the night which was on the less expensive side, however it had everything that I needed for a quick stay which was a great location, quiet, clean, and a great staff that actively wants to help. We started the morning with breakfast that was ver good for the type of continental breakfast that they offered. We ate outside on the small patio in the front of the building as the inside gets very crowded. The staff held our luggage for us and arranged for a car to take us back to the airport for later in the day ($95). For the next few hours we used the subway to get to Rockefeller Center (Top of the Rock was fantastic) and walked and shopped on 5th Avenue.

Dear Robert S,

Thank you so much for submitting such a detailed review! I am very happy to hear that you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Madison Square Garden. I am very pleased that Sheila (our city expert) was able to help you navigate your way to your preferred attractions. I am very lucky to have a wonderful team of individuals like Sheila who love to share their inside knowledge with those who are visiting. I will certainly thank Sheila for a job well done!

Please come visit us again! We would love to welcome you back!

SIncerely,

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed here with my wife and parents for 4 days and we all enjoyed our stay here. The check-in was a breeze, took less than 30 secs. Got a room in 7th floor - this Hotel doesn't got any views of the city coz it stands almost in the middle of 29th street (between 7th and 8th Avenues). The rooms too small and very cramped, but this is what you expect for ~<$300 per night in one of the most expensive cities in the world. This location is great for you to walk to Times Sq ( ~15 mins), Madison Sq Garden (~3 mins), Empire state building (~10 mins), Penn station (~3 mins). The complementary breakfast was excellent, but the breakfast place is way too crowded and it is almost impossible to find an empty table as soon as you arrive. The staff here in the Breakfast area are very helpful and they are awesome. They refill stuffs almost immediately. The lobby has complementary hot coffee/tea 24/7, which is good if you are returning back after a long, cold day in NYC. We were so busy visiting the attractions in the city, we didn't inquire if they have any roof-top view/pool etc..,

One Tip: The average nightly prices are lower during week-ends (which for some might be counter intuitive), but I guess the rooms gets filled up for business stays during week days.

I will definitely will stay in this place (and recommend to friends, which I already did) , If I have the opportunity to visit NYC again.

Dear Krishna S,

Thank you for submitting a wonderful review of our hotel! We are very pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your vacation. We are also very happy to hear that our close proximity to several local attractions such as Times Square and the Empire State Building made us a perfect fit. It certainly sounds like you took full advantage of your time!

We look forward to welcoming you back on a return visit!

Warmest Regards,